Front Office issues

eddie83

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hindsight is always 20/20 and there is still much of this that is unknown.

Seems to me that Toronto was wrong and contacted our GM about a job in January or slightly before while our GM should have been doing his work or us. DD by all accounts was interested in taking the offer from Toronto. Why tampering charges were not filed and why the media has not slammed Toronto convinces me once and for all there is an anti-orioles bias in the media. When our Korean fiasco occurred, I was concerned about someone going to prison over the situation. By the time we were merely banned for life it seemed that was a minor victory.

Again, hindsight is 20/20. DD should have shot that story down immediately and not doing so and failing to stay one of the best GMs in baseball for this season raise questions that only DD can answer. For the O's, they continue to elevate Brady Anderson as the heir apparent. I hope this is not the end, but if it is I do not like where it looks like we are going. I like Brady, but I see no reason to think he can improve or build on any of the positive things done by AM or DD. As we near the end of the season, I find looking back to be very painful. 2015 has been a gut wrenching year.

Someone will ultimately put a list together of all the things that have occurred in 2015. This has been a miserable season since Jan 1 from the DD fiasco, to Markakis, games cancelled for riots, pitchers melting away to season ending injury or just plain awfulness, and now to the list of FA lining up to leave. 2015 will leave a mark, and how the Orioles respond will leave a few legacies.

Not sure why people are still in the belief that Markakis was a mistake.

His WAR right now is 1.4, his dWAR is -1.6.

His Salary is 11 Million dollars.

Hey, I like Nick, too.

But he isn't worth the cost, plain and simple.

Nick wasn't the mistake. It was everything before, during, and after that was a mistake. Plus, you can't ignore the fact that DD reportedly was closing in a on 4/48 deal with Nick before the neck issues became public. Thus, it appears that DD was targeting a deal with Nick that you feel would have been a mistake; As you say, "he isn't worth the cost, plain and simple."

Nick wasn't the mistake. It was everything before, during, and after that was a mistake. Plus, you can't ignore the fact that DD reportedly was closing in a on 4/48 deal with Nick before the neck issues became public. Thus, it appears that DD was targeting a deal with Nick that you feel would have been a mistake; As you say, "he isn't worth the cost, plain and simple."

Not sure, what deal they were actually working on, and I believe they did know about his neck issues, which was really a non issue, as he played the whole season.

Over payment for a 1-2 years of Nick, wouldn't have been the huge mistake of a 4 year deal.

Not sure, what deal they were actually working on, and I believe they did know about his neck issues, which was really a non issue, as he played the whole season.

Over payment for a 1-2 years of Nick, wouldn't have been the huge mistake of a 4 year deal.

Connolly, Britt, and the gang repeatedly reported a deal in the 4/48 range as imminent the weeks before the neck issue became public. The neck issue was cited as the reason the club back off the 4 year deal. Seem to me the club was preparing to do the "huge mistake of a 4 year deal."

Connolly, Britt, and the gang repeatedly reported a deal in the 4/48 range as imminent the weeks before the neck issue became public. The neck issue was cited as the reason the club back off the 4 year deal. Seem to me the club was preparing to do the "huge mistake of a 4 year deal."

I wonder who would have been cut to make room?

I wonder who would have been cut to make room?

I recalling reading that De Aza would have been non-tendered as part of the offset. Gotta figure that Snider would not have been acquired as well so that gets you about 2/3 of the way if salary neutrality was a mandate.

Yeah, this was the publicly approved release.

Nick claims in an interview, they were well aware of the information.

Maybe they were talking 4 years, and got cold feet, hard to use this as evidence of a huge mistake, if they never consummated the deal, at least, in my opinion.

Lots of other incidents and issues that we can point to as 2015 failures.

Not sure why people are still in the belief that Markakis was a mistake.=QUOTE]

I said his leaving was horrible, I did not say it was a mistake. It wasn't. But like everything else this year, it went poorly. Notice I did not include Cruz in my statement. Would have loved to see him here again, but can't argue with what happened.

Yeah, this was the publicly approved release.

Nick claims in an interview, they were well aware of the information.

Maybe they were talking 4 years, and got cold feet, hard to use this as evidence of a huge mistake, if they never consummated the deal, at least, in my opinion.

Lots of other incidents and issues that we can point to as 2015 failures.

We certainly have found common ground on the bolded point. I'm on record here as being opposed to 4/48 for Nick; It concerns me that we might have been headed down that path. Just like the Balfour situation, I think the physical thing put the club in a bad situation, but I've always been more troubled by the fact that he was a prime target from the get go.

We certainly have found common ground on the bolded point. I'm on record here as being opposed to 4/48 for Nick; It concerns me that we might have been headed down that path. Just like the Balfour situation, I think the physical thing put the club in a bad situation, but I've always been more troubled by the fact that he was a prime target from the get go.

I would be more troubled by the team signing hurt players, as they have done in previous administrations (and before Andy).

Nick's departure, would have been less troublesome, if they didn't have the revolving door debacle that occurred this season.

To me, the biggest question mark on the table, how does this organization fix the the pitching woes and failures.

This thread really shouldn't divert into a discussion of Nick Markakis. Nick signed with Atlanta on December 3. The first reports of Toronto's interest in Duquette were on December 7, the day before the winter meetings began.

Fangraphs values Nick's 2015 season at $11 mm, exactly what he's been paid. On the one hand you could say he's likely to decline from here due to age. On the other hand you could say he was coming off neck surgery and could be better next year than he was this year. Bottom line, it's too early to tell exactly how his contract will come out. But I don't think Duquette's dalliance with Toronto had anything to do with the decisions that were made about Nick.

This thread really shouldn't divert into a discussion of Nick Markakis. Nick signed with Atlanta on December 3. The first reports of Toronto's interest in Duquette were on December 7, the day before the winter meetings began.

Fangraphs values Nick's 2015 season at $11 mm, exactly what he's been paid. On the one hand you could say he's likely to decline from here due to age. On the other hand you could say he was coming off neck surgery and could be better next year than he was this year. Bottom line, it's too early to tell exactly how his contract will come out. But I don't think Duquette's dalliance with Toronto had anything to do with the decisions that were made about Nick.

1.4 WAR is worth 11 million?

Personally, I think the dalliance with Toronto is more in the minds of the fans, than the actual impact to the O's org.

But, again, my opinion.

Archived