Front Office issues

eddie83

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found it. I didn't scroll down far enough.

I'm not commenting on much of anything here. There are a lot of "major league sources say" and "it has been said" and similar sorts of non-sources. I understand that some sources give information only on the condition of anonymity but when the vast majority of sources are "people say," etc. it weakens the credibility of the article.

That was my only concern at all. Other than the source author and publication.

I agree, in spades. This is crap journalism. When Cafardo says "There's been talk of friction between Duquette and [buck]," he could be referring to comments on this board.

Last week, the same "reporter" had a piece on how terrific it would be for the Sox to sign Chris Davis, calling him a "guaranteed 40/40 guy" who can play four positions (including LF, where Chris has 11 ML games) and listing 11 potential bidders for him, that reads like it was written by Scott Boras. https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/16/onball/eK09bwWLhyJrvOgA8qeUxI/story.html

There may well be problems between Duquette and the owner or manager based on the events of last December, the team's disappointing play and record, the waste of precious payroll dollars on guys who were released, Parra's lackluster performance, the emergence of Arrieta, etc., etc. But IMO this article doesn't add a thing to what we know or surmise about those problems and their potential effect on the team.

Posts here are many times source material for professional writers.

Posts here are many times source material for professional writers.

I have seen/heard this myself. Discussions had on this board have, more than a few times, been sourced as material to fill air time on various Baltimore sports media. 105.7 comes to mind.

Is it fair to say that the other 29 teams would of let Dan go?

I believe in the NFL your current team is prohibited from blocking a coach's or executives advance to another team if the new position is a promotion. The Ravens can't prevent their O-Line coach from leaving to become the O-Coordinator of the Browns, for example. Only applies to the off-season.

That is by rule, I believe in the NFL. That has been the custom in the industry in MLB as well, but not by rule. Angelos is well within his rights to insist that Duquette honor his contract, to the letter and to the penny. And If he wants to get out of it, either he or the other team must compensate the Orioles.

So, now we have a SR VP of Baseball that was rightly denied a promotion. That SR VP did a miserable off season job and the Orioles will likely terminate Duquette's contract in the off-season, FOR CAUSE. And refuse to pay off the contract because the will allege that Duquette violated his Fiduciary Duty to the Orioles. They may even seek to have Duquette return this year's salary as his dishonesty towards the team, vis a vie Toronto, was so egregious as to cause the Orioles significant damages. In other words, Duqueete took a team that was 4 games away from the World Series, and because he was discussing a job with a rival team, he personally caused the Orioles to have a losing season, miss the playoffs and regress in player development

I believe in the NFL your current team is prohibited from blocking a coach's or executives advance to another team if the new position is a promotion. The Ravens can't prevent their O-Line coach from leaving to become the O-Coordinator of the Browns, for example. Only applies to the off-season.

That is by rule, I believe in the NFL. That has been the custom in the industry in MLB as well, but not by rule. Angelos is well within his rights to insist that Duquette honor his contract, to the letter and to the penny. And If he wants to get out of it, either he or the other team must compensate the Orioles.

So, now we have a SR VP of Baseball that was rightly denied a promotion. That SR VP did a miserable off season job and the Orioles will likely terminate Duquette's contract in the off-season, FOR CAUSE. And refuse to pay off the contract because the will allege that Duquette violated his Fiduciary Duty to the Orioles. They may even seek to have Duquette return this year's salary as his dishonesty towards the team, vis a vie Toronto, was so egregious as to cause the Orioles significant damages. In other words, Duqueete took a team that was 4 games away from the World Series, and because he was discussing a job with a rival team, he personally caused the Orioles to have a losing season, miss the playoffs and regress in player development

14320498503542.jpg

He was allowed the latitude and rebuilt his prestige to the point that he was an executive of the year finalist two out of three years and a winner so that he became a tampering target. At a level that there is no precedence of compensation or gentlemans agreement because in his organization he was the top baseball operations executive. There were no higher jobs that he was blocked from. All after being blackballed by the same boys club and press camaraderie now wishes to shame him.

I'm late to this thread but I'll bump this anyways. In my understanding the Toronto job was above the baseball side, more on the financial. Isn't that John Angelos' job?

You sound like a lawyer - which is how PA acted.

DD did sign a contract and PA is holding him to that contract and has denied DD a promotion and a raise that DD wanted. I do consider that poor sport.

I am sure the last thing PA wanted to do in January, out of the blue, was to put forth the effort to find a new GM. PA put his own interests ahead of DD's. I would assume that is something noticed in the industry.

While I agree with the gist of your first paragraph, the second and what I bolded was why Toronto's timing was so dastardly in all this. Forget frail, 86 year old Angelos. Even a younger, more vibrant owner doesn't want to start a GM search in JANUARY. It's impossible. PA might be working in his own interests but he was backed into a pretty tight corner with Toronto's shenanigans.

Hell. Maybe they didn't even really want Duquette! They just knew PA wouldn't give him up and just did it to make a division rival look bad. Just to mess with us. While their GM was dealing all winter...

While I agree with the gist of your first paragraph, the second and what I bolded was why Toronto's timing was so dastardly in all this. Forget frail, 86 year old Angelos. Even a younger, more vibrant owner doesn't want to start a GM search in JANUARY. It's impossible. PA might be working in his own interests but he was backed into a pretty tight corner with Toronto's shenanigans.

Hell. Maybe they didn't even really want Duquette! They just knew PA wouldn't give him up and just did it to make a division rival look bad. Just to mess with us. While their GM was dealing all winter...

It was dastardly and almost hints of a coordinated ploy to hurt the Os orchestrated by MLB because of their disappointment over how the MASN dispute is dragging out. It just reeks, but .....

I really don't like situations where someone purposely stands in the way of someone else enjoying greater opportunity and success in their career. I think everyone understood the unusual nature of this and that's why we were talking compensation made up of a high quality Toronto prospect or two to make everyone happy. From what we know, PA's prospect request for DD was ridiculous.

It was dastardly and almost hints of a coordinated ploy to hurt the Os orchestrated by MLB because of their disappointment over how the MASN dispute is dragging out. It just reeks, but .....

I really don't like situations where someone purposely stands in the way of someone else enjoying greater opportunity and success in their career. I think everyone understood the unusual nature of this and that's why we were talking compensation made up of a high quality Toronto prospect or two to make everyone happy. From what we know, PA's prospect request for DD was ridiculous.

Reminder for all Toronto went after Nats GM first and they said no. Then they went after DD.

So why no articles about Nats FO? Oh that's right MLB lap dogs and Orioles haters are writing these articles. I wanna see the midget Kenny write about how Learners denied a move for Rizzo.

Reminder for all Toronto went after Nats GM first and they said no. Then they went after DD.

So why no articles about Nats FO? Oh that's right MLB lap dogs and Orioles haters are writing these articles. I wanna see the midget Kenny write about how Learners denied a move for Rizzo.

UPDATE, 8:15 p.m.: Mike Rizzo shot down the reported Toronto interest. His statement to The Post: “I have not been contacted by the Toronto Blue Jays. My sole focus is on the Washington Nationals and bringing a World Series championship to the District.”

ORIGINAL POST, 5:53 p.m.: The Toronto Blue Jays have expressed interest in Nationals General Manager and President of Baseball Operations Mike Rizzo as a candidate to replace Paul Beeston team president and CEO, according to an ESPN report. But according to a person familiar with the situation, Rizzo and the Nationals have not been contacted by the Blue Jays

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2014/12/13/blue-jays-reportedly-interested-in-mike-rizzo/

Terry Ryan of the Twins was also mentioned

"I'm very humbled to hear my name was thrown in that thing, but you don't have to worry about me going to Toronto," Ryan said. "I'm telling you that I'm a GM, I'm a baseball guy. I'm not real sure the business side of the profession is anything that I'm qualified for. I don't think I have the skill set to do that."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_27096623/twins-gm-terry-ryan-not-interested-blue-jays

The reason nobody is writing about these two is because they shot down the story when it broke.

Wrong. The Jays went after Duquette before there were any reports about Rizzo. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12023680/toronto-blue-jays-eye-washington-nationals-mike-rizzo-ceo-replacement

No conspiracy theories, please. The Jays wanted Duquette, and he wanted the job. The Jays could not have picked a worse time for their dalliance with Duquette, with the first reports surfacing literally while Duquette was on a flight to the Winter Meetings. Angelos shot them down, as he should have under the circumstances.

I don't care HOW PROFESSIONAL DD is I think it's a little NAIVE to think this did not affect, or has not affected the O's front office and some of the decisions that were made. JMHO

Agreed. And maybe the underlying problem - Why was the Toronto job deemed to be more prestigious? Wouldn't he have had essentially the same job there as he does here? ???

Agreed. And maybe the underlying problem - Why was the Toronto job deemed to be more prestigious? Wouldn't he have had essentially the same job there as he does here? ???

His role as team president would have included much greater responsibilities (Baseball and business side of the operations) as well as a substantial bump in pay for that role.

Archived