Has this been a successful season or not? Harder than it sounds

Carllamy

Here's why this season was a failure:

Over a half dozen players DFA'd

LF and RF has been a barren wasteland pretty much all season

DH has been a barren wasteland for well over half the season

Duquette acquired Parra (who had a 138 OPS+ when traded but a 96 career OPS+)...who has a 60 OPS+ for the O's.

We have ZERO impact starting pitching depth (injured or were traded)

We get to see Eduardo Rodriguez flourish as a rookie for the Red Sox and Jake Arrieta contend for a CY YOUNG for the Cubs

Kevin Gausman started in the bullpen, couldn't work on a curve/slider...and has regressed from last year

Hardy, Wieters have had woeful seasons

We're seeing all of our so called "OF depth" perform poorly (Alvarez, Urrutia)

Norris stunk

Tillman stunk

Gonzo was solid, got hurt...stunk...now hurt again

Duquette threw away a draft pick and Webb to the Dodgers for a player that he just let walk

Duquette paid Matusz, Hunter, etc. instead of paying to shore up other parts of the team

Duquette let us take a huge step back from DH and RF all the while having TRAVIS SNIDER be the prized acquisition in the offseason

This team has had large streaks of losing...not many streaks of winning...and overall has had too many losing months

This team stinks on the road

This team stinks against good teams

As for the success stories?

Schoop

Machado healthy and a superstar

Davis with a huge bounceback year

Ubaldo getting his walks under control and being about an average pitcher for us after an incredibly poor 2014

Givens looks incredibly solid and reliable

Jason Garcia looks promising

Chen was rock solid...has falter late in the season, however...but overall, easily our best starting pitcher.

Clevenger and Joseph continue to show that they can replace Wieters for next year

We were at least in it until completely falling on our faces against the Twins, Royals, etc. late in the season

I guess the promising is that we'll have a ton of draft picks in the first 3 rounds (most likely). And the Blue Jays can't cause Duquette to be distracted any longer.

That said, I have little to no faith in Duquette's draft team...and our development strategy has really only churned out relievers. And there's no position player depth any time soon for things like COF, 1B, or DH. We're in a pretty dire situation.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also...want to know how I consider this season a failure just on an enjoyment standpoint? I've been a season ticket holder since at least 2009 (might be 2008). This is the first season that I really didn't look forward to going to many games. And that's really hard on me considering how much I love this club.

Duquette acquired Parra (who had a 138 OPS+ when traded but a 96 career OPS+)...who has a 60 OPS+ for the O's.

We get to see Eduardo Rodriguez flourish as a rookie for the Red Sox and Jake Arrieta contend for a CY YOUNG for the Cubs

Kevin Gausman started in the bullpen, couldn't work on a curve/slider...and has regressed from last year

Norris stunk

Tillman stunk

Duquette threw away a draft pick and Webb to the Dodgers for a player that he just let walk

Duquette paid Matusz, Hunter, etc. instead of paying to shore up other parts of the team

Duquette let us take a huge step back from DH and RF all the while having TRAVIS SNIDER be the prized acquisition in the offseason

This team has had large streaks of losing...not many streaks of winning...and overall has had too many losing months

Schoop

Ubaldo getting his walks under control and being about an average pitcher for us after an incredibly poor 2014

Chen was rock solid...has falter late in the season, however...but overall, easily our best starting pitcher.

Clevenger and Joseph continue to show that they can replace Wieters for next year

We were at least in it until completely falling on our faces against the Twins, Royals, etc. late in the season

I guess the promising is that we'll have a ton of draft picks in the first 3 rounds (most likely). And the Blue Jays can't cause Duquette to be distracted any longer.

That said, I have little to no faith in Duquette's draft team...and our development strategy has really only churned out relievers. And there's no position player depth any time soon for things like COF, 1B, or DH. We're in a pretty dire situation.

I agree with most things. Clevenger has shown he can replace Wieters? He has barely caught any games. My opinion is that Joseph is not a guy you want to catch over 100 games.

Failure, and made all the more frustrating by the fact the East was there for the taking this year. Yes, NYY played above expectations and TOR went crazy acquiring talent. But with a better offseason we at least contend.

The worst part is the "window" is closing due to free agents and a barren farm system. We had to go for it this year. We didn't, and I am hoping it doesn't lead to another long stretch of irrelevance. 2012-2014 was too fun and too brief, I don't want it to end!

Failure, and made all the more frustrating by the fact the East was there for the taking this year. Yes, NYY played above expectations and TOR went crazy acquiring talent. But with a better offseason we at least contend.

The worst part is the "window" is closing due to free agents and a barren farm system. We had to go for it this year. We didn't, and I am hoping it doesn't lead to another long stretch of irrelevance. 2012-2014 was too fun and too brief, I don't want it to end!

As a friend, I am preparing you now. Expect the fraudulence to return. It was fun while it lasted, but people couldn't get it out of their heads that dumpster diving and holding onto "potential" wasn't what this team needed when we were in go mode. I guess I can't say I blame people for the hope since we hadn't had this sort of ride since I was 10. The winning felt good though. I can at least say I went to an O's playoff game in my lifetime. Yep.

*Cries*

Ultimately. I judge seasons by winning and then, if possible, making the playoffs or World Series. It is a remnant of 18 consecutive winning seasons from 1968 to 1985 that conditioned me that way. Orioles are unlikely to be over .500 and thus this season is a failure in many ways. Manny is a star, but I swear there are aspects to his style and approach that remind me he is 23. It will be an interesting offseason. I think that DD will have less budget to work with than this season and that we are likely going to be rebuilding in 2016 as we try to carry Bundy even if he can't pitch, probably another Rule 5 sign as DD has done this every year, try to see if Harvey can recover to pitch although he will likely be going to TJ, see if any of the current AAAA types, both position and pitching, can contribute anything consistently in 2016, let Gausman have an entire season in the rotation and put up with his Youthful inconsistency for 2016, try to extend Machado which won't likely succeed as we are not going to look good in 2016, lose all their free agents and hope that they hit some draft pick luck, sign some international prospects. Not a pleasant prospect but the so called option of plugging the gaping holes in 2016 with big time free agents has NEVER been an Oriole strategy and won't be this year either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We won 96 games last year.. a few games away from a World Series. The next year, we aren't even going to finish above .500 (most likely). We even managed to punt the trade deadline and not help ourselves when we clearly didn't have it. This has been an utter failure of a year for the entire Organization.

Some individual things went well so that was nice. Just imagine if Davis hit .190something, how bad it would have been to watch this team.

Very unsuccessful and a huge disappointment. This is a team that ran away with the division last year, and may finish below .500 this year. And it's even more disappointing that most likely next year will be worse without Davis and Chen. More holes to a team already filled with holes. This team is only technically in it because the league as a whole is pitiful. Most years, this team is 10+games out of the WC.

Norris stunk

Tillman stunk

Schoop

Very similar to what I was going to post. You hit the nail on the head. We have to hope DD has an excellent off season. Anything too much less and we are in trouble.

Very similar to what I was going to post. You hit the nail on the head. We have to hope DD has an excellent off season. Anything too much less and we are in trouble.
I no longer trust DD's baseball knowledge after this year's wasteland. If the O's succeed in 2016, it will be in spite of their FO.

Very unsuccessful and a huge disappointment. This is a team that ran away with the division last year, and may finish below .500 this year. And it's even more disappointing that most likely next year will be worse without Davis and Chen. More holes to a team already filled with holes. This team is only technically in it because the league as a whole is pitiful. Most years, this team is 10+games out of the WC.
Chen and Ubaldo both had decent starts against Boston. And because of the woeful offense and errors, all they got for their efforts were big "L"s beside their names.

Archived