Dan Duquette ON MLBNETWORK

weams

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it when people try to adopt a lofty pose but say things like "bantered about" when they mean bandied about. The gist of your post struck me as being about spending money" If you want to avoid spending a ton of money, get into Major League Lacrosse". There, is only so much we have to spend and a lot to spend it on, so a combination of trades and FA make s sense to me. There are a number of players who are up for trade or non tendering, Gardner of the MFY, Walker and Alvarez of PIT, off the to of my head. We could easily trade out of our MiL RP depth to pick up Alvarez to be a LH DH. Cisco, Mancini, Wilson, Wright, and Bundy have decent value depending on the return. We could offer Britton for AJ Reed or another promising MiL bat like him. Trading for Reed would fill the 1B hole while saving 5M you could use toward a SP e.g. I don't think trades are about winning or losing, they are about giving up something you don't need as much, for something you need more.

So since you want to start with an attempt at condescension and a writing critique, we shall. My sincerest apologies for offending your keen editorial eye with my use of "bantered" vs. "bandied". I plead writing this quickly this morning. Additionally, I wasn't aware that I was taking "a lofty pose", whatever that might mean, when I responded to you. I'm not sure "a lofty pose" is really a thing; however, you seem to be the English expert, so perhaps you can correct me. Alternatively, perhaps you meant my post was an attempt at lofty prose? Unsure... There are a few typos in your own post, so perhaps I'd suggest checking the structural integrity of your glass house before your start casting stones.

On to substance, if we can. I actually, in principle, don't disagree with your position- finding value in the trade market is not a bad thing and you obviously need to give something to get something. I'm just saying that I have some doubts about the current regime's ability to get good value in trades, given its performance of late. I do think you are overestimating the return of some of your trade proposals (such as the Britton for Reed deal), but I recognize you're just coming up with these quickly, so not going to hold you to that.

Additionally, you point out Cisco, Mancini, etc - sure, these guys have value, but do we really want to be trading from the already thin pool of quality MiLB depth that we have? My preference is that we don't, and instead we focus on the FA market. If we don't fill all the gaps sufficiently to compete in 2016, I'm okay with that as long as we're continuing to build for the future. I don't really think that 2016 is our year, but I think we can continue to be competitive. What I don't want to see happen is a hail mary to compete in 2016 by reaching on a number of trades and thinning out our farm system even further. That's my ultimate point here.

Is that like when someone wants to correct another person's writing, but says "pose" instead of "prose?"
I love when some one doesn't understand the difference between" pose"as in putting on an act or posturing, and "prose" which is non poetic writing. I think you are out of your depth.

So since you want to start with an attempt at condescension and a writing critique, we shall. My sincerest apologies for offending your keen editorial eye with my use of "bantered" vs. "bandied". I plead writing this quickly this morning. Additionally, I wasn't aware that I was taking "a lofty pose", whatever that might mean, when I responded to you. I'm not sure "a lofty pose" is really a thing; however, you seem to be the English expert, so perhaps you can correct me. Alternatively, perhaps you meant my post was an attempt at lofty prose? Unsure... There are a few typos in your own post, so perhaps I'd suggest checking the structural integrity of your glass house before your start casting stones.

On to substance, if we can. I actually, in principle, don't disagree with your position- finding value in the trade market is not a bad thing and you obviously need to give something to get something. I'm just saying that I have some doubts about the current regime's ability to get good value in trades, given its performance of late. I do think you are overestimating the return of some of your trade proposals (such as the Britton for Reed deal), but I recognize you're just coming up with these quickly, so not going to hold you to that.

Additionally, you point out Cisco, Mancini, etc - sure, these guys have value, but do we really want to be trading from the already thin pool of quality MiLB depth that we have? My preference is that we don't, and instead we focus on the FA market. If we don't fill all the gaps sufficiently to compete in 2016, I'm okay with that as long as we're continuing to build for the future. I don't really think that 2016 is our year, but I think we can continue to be competitive. What I don't want to see happen is a hail mary to compete in 2016 by reaching on a number of trades and thinning out our farm system even further. That's my ultimate point here.

Clearly to me you are a poser I doubt you talk this way in real life, if you have one. Lofty prose is a bit of an oxymoron, IMO. I make my living doing theatre, so language is a principle tool of my trade. I actually do talk this way. People have said to me, "you talk funny, you don't speak in sentences you speak in paragraphs. I confess this is true and it make things especially difficult today when people don't seem interested in even speaking in sentences. I freely admit to being a very poor typist. Don't bother to respond I'm putting you on ignore.

This isn't my revisionist history and it's not about Markakis or Cruz directly. I said last spring I thought this team had a dead man walking feel to it. Three big pieces gone, nothing added, and 11 pending FAs on the original 25. It was precarious at best, especially with a very thin farm system. I was adamant about being active during the season with forward looking trades and/or extensions, which didn't happen. So here we are. I think it was shortsighted and irresponsible. Now we have numerous holes, the majority of which are going to be filled in uninspiring ways and, I believe, very little hope for a contending team in 2016. If Wieters takes the QO it'll be even more damaging.

I' choose to be as competitive as possible as many years as possible. Being 1 game out of a post season spot on July 31st and then dismantling the team, with the hopes of getting back to that exact same position in 4 years would have really bothered me.

And sideways if you need to get to the store and your car is in the shop.

Hmm... ohh... I guess? Do all time machines double as transporters? And is there like a computer or something that figures out where to go based on continental drift and stuff? What of starting in North America and ending up in Gonwandaland or Pangea or something and you know you're gonna end up inside a rock or the ocean or whatnot.

Dan also isn't good at making trades - that was Andy.

They had two different jobs. Andy was selling, Dan has been buying -- for both of them, often at the time of year that favors the seller. I agree Andy made several great trades, but I don't think it's completely fair to compare the two.

Clearly to me you are a poser I doubt you talk this way in real life, if you have one. Lofty prose is a bit of an oxymoron, IMO. I make my living doing theatre, so language is a principle tool of my trade. I actually do talk this way. People have said to me, "you talk funny, you don't speak in sentences you speak in paragraphs. I confess this is true and it make things especially difficult today when people don't seem interested in even speaking in sentences. I freely admit to being a very poor typist. Don't bother to respond I'm putting you on ignore.

That's a bit of an odd response, especially given the fact that you opened the grammar/language usage can of worms, but okay. In fact, my work entails a significant amount of writing, so I do at least pay attention to these types of things, though I admit my attention to detail isn't always what it could be on a board like this. Real life is doing just fine, too, by the way.

Shame....we could've been friends. Go O's.

I' choose to be as competitive as possible as many years as possible. Being 1 game out of a post season spot on July 31st and then dismantling the team, with the hopes of getting back to that exact same position in 4 years would have really bothered me.
Maybe then, but just think of how smug you could feel now.

Hmm... ohh... I guess? Do all time machines double as transporters? And is there like a computer or something that figures out where to go based on continental drift and stuff? What of starting in North America and ending up in Gonwandaland or Pangea or something and you know you're gonna end up inside a rock or the ocean or whatnot.

The TARDIS has had problems with that...

funny-tardis-doctor-who-smashed-building-go-home-drunk-pics.jpg?w=430&h=370

By the time this offseason is over the Orioles will have lost all of Cruz, Markakis, Davis, Wieters, Chen and ODay to other teams willing to pay them market value. Last year DD did a miserable job replacing the departed. By listening to his interview and other article it sounds as if he's going to trade off what little value we have in our farm system to try and get cheaper cost controlled players. Since our system is bottom five the results will likely be as bad as last season. The result will be subtraction from a .500

You talk about them being one game out of the second wild card as if that was the holy grail. The second wild card gives subpar teams like the Orioles were in 2015 a slight bit of false hope. And therefore had management made the wrong decision and hang on.

You know now how it worked out. There were many posters on here that thought selling would have been wise and we'd have a group of players in the farm system that might be able to make a difference on the team sooner rather than later.

If the Orioles management were smart and they didn't have an unrealistic old owner they would likely be doing the right thing. Now they are more likely to go after mid level players who they can get a deal on as replacements and some comp picks.

So we are farther away than we would've been four years from now.

By the time this offseason is over the Orioles will have lost all of Cruz, Markakis, Davis, Wieters, Chen and ODay to other teams willing to pay them market value. Last year DD did a miserable job replacing the departed. By listening to his interview and other article it sounds as if he's going to trade off what little value we have in our farm system to try and get cheaper cost controlled players. Since our system is bottom five the results will likely be as bad as last season. The result will be subtraction from a .500

You talk about them being one game out of the second wild card as if that was the holy grail. The second wild card gives subpar teams like the Orioles were in 2015 a slight bit of hope. And therefore had management make the role decision and hang on.

You know now how it worked out. There were many posters on here that thought selling would have been wise and we'd have a group of players in the farm system that might be able to make a difference on the team sooner rather than later.

If the Orioles management were smart and they didn't have an unrealistic old owner they would likely be doing the right thing. Now they are more likely to go after mid level players who they can get a deal on as replacements and some comp picks.

So we are farther away than we would've been four years from now.

I have no problems with them all going, shame the list doesn't include Hardy.

The problem is there is no one of even vaguely equivalent value (to what they produced as O's, not going forward) joining the team.

Archived