Dan Duquette ON MLBNETWORK

weams

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deal with it? You have 40 M to fill 5 holes how would you plan to deal with it?

Trap question ....Gordo loves this type of question so he can bash whatever you say!

I'm asking Peter for an extra 5 million from his MASN vault.

Upton 21 (7/147)

Kazmir 13.5 (3/40.5) I'm getting this by the 15 per they are guessing for Chen

Jaso. 5 (3/15)

Salty. 500k + (2/13)

Parra 5. (4/20)

I'm short a SP ..but I live with Wright, Gonzalez, Bundy, or whomever wins the 5th starter.

I rotate Jaso, Salty, Clevenger and Walker between 1B, DH.

Deal with it? You have 40 M to fill 5 holes how would you plan to deal with it?

My use of the phrase "deal with it" was a more general reference to the fact that we seem to have an aversion to the FA market and instead prefer to wade into the trade realm, where we have been fairly woeful the last few years, I would argue. I don't think that last point is up for debate, but do advise if you think we've "won" our recent trades.

Regarding how we will plug some of the holes on our club, I assume you've seen the countless posts on this board over the last month or so detailing the various ways we can try to apply our 40-45 "marbles" into plugging our holes, so do I really need to go into all of that? There was even some type of worksheet that allowed posters to pick and choose from a menu of guys that are available at their projected going rates. I'm certainly not insinuating that we can just go buy the top level guys at each position. However, a combination of various guys (Kazmir, Leake, Happ) whose costs aren't exorbitant and wouldn't require us to forfeit a draft pick have been bantered about extensively on this board. There are plenty more guys for whom it may be worth it to forfeit a draft pick, though the reviews on this board are mixed about that approach. Whether we can effectively plug holes and become a playoff competitive team in 2016 via FA AND trade (or whether we should be more focused on a rebuild) I think is a valid question, but one for another thread.

I'd flip the question to you, friend - from what untapped well of talent/depth in this organization do you propose we trade from in order to acquire cost-controlled players that can effectively fill the gaps on our big league club? Perhaps there is some font of talent of which I'm unaware, but I'm not seeing a lot of depth with which I'm thrilled by the idea of parting. Do you think we're going to get a TOR starter in a trade, and for what? I'm all ears as to how folks on here foresee us getting value, saving some money, and not significantly degrading our big league club in a trade. I'm merely suggesting that the most significant of our gaps (such as starting pitcher) should be filled via the fairly deep free agent class of SP available, rather than gutting our already thin farm system to save some coin. However, it ain't my money.

My use of the phrase "deal with it" was a more general reference to the fact that we seem to have an aversion to the FA market and instead prefer to wade into the trade realm, where we have been fairly woeful the last few years, I would argue. I don't think that last point is up for debate, but do advise if you think we've "won" our recent trades.

Regarding how we will plug some of the holes on our club, I assume you've seen the countless posts on this board over the last month or so detailing the various ways we can try to apply our 40-45 "marbles" into plugging our holes, so do I really need to go into all of that? There was even some type of worksheet that allowed posters to pick and choose from a menu of guys that are available at their projected going rates. I'm certainly not insinuating that we can just go buy the top level guys at each position. However, a combination of various guys (Kazmir, Leake, Happ) whose costs aren't exorbitant and wouldn't require us to forfeit a draft pick have been bantered about extensively on this board. There are plenty more guys for whom it may be worth it to forfeit a draft pick, though the reviews on this board are mixed about that approach. Whether we can effectively plug holes and become a playoff competitive team in 2016 via FA AND trade (or whether we should be more focused on a rebuild) I think is a valid question, but one for another thread.

I'd flip the question to you, friend - from what untapped well of talent/depth in this organization do you propose we trade from in order to acquire cost-controlled players that can effectively fill the gaps on our big league club? Perhaps there is some font of talent of which I'm unaware, but I'm not seeing a lot of depth with which I'm thrilled by the idea of parting. Do you think we're going to get a TOR starter in a trade, and for what? I'm all ears as to how folks on here foresee us getting value, saving some money, and not significantly degrading our big league club in a trade. I'm merely suggesting that the most significant of our gaps (such as starting pitcher) should be filled via the fairly deep free agent class of SP available, rather than gutting our already thin farm system to save some coin. However, it ain't my money.

He's for dumpster diving. :eek:

We're going to get three draft picks out of Davis, Chen and Weiters. Why are we so hesitant to sign a player who has a pick attached to him if we basically have extra picks? If any of those picks turn out to be pitchers, do any of us really have any faith that we will develop them to contribute at the ML level? I certainly don't. Make some moves DD, we don't know if we will be able to resign Manny; JJ appears to be on his last legs; Adam isn't getting any younger. Let's not sit on your hands another offseason and let the team get worse; only this time it will regress from a .500 team to who knows what. I don't know which guys are the best guys for this squad, but don't be scared of picks and give this team a fighting chance. It feels like the window closed a little, but yes it can be opened again with a little nudge

He's for dumpster diving. :eek:

I mean, to be fair, there will need to be "dumpster diving". As I noted in my post, we aren't going to be able to sign top level free agents all over the diamond by any stretch. There will need to be some savvy moves as well that enable us to get excess value from some players on bounceback years.

I'm just extremely leery of thinning out our already sparse farm system when we could pay a little bit more and, presumably, get similar players in free agency. But again, it isn't my money....I just buy tickets.

Trap question ....Gordo loves this type of question so he can bash whatever you say!

I'm asking Peter for an extra 5 million from his MASN vault.

Upton 21 (7/147)

Kazmir 13.5 (3/40.5) I'm getting this by the 15 per they are guessing for Chen

Jaso. 5 (3/15)

Salty. 500k + (2/13)

Parra 5. (4/20)

I'm short a SP ..but I live with Wright, Gonzalez, Bundy, or whomever wins the 5th starter.

I rotate Jaso, Salty, Clevenger and Walker between 1B, DH.

i like your post because it deals with fully holes and is rational about the payroll limitations. I don't think the O's will need to ask for an additional 5m because Dan will defer some money in large contracts like the Kazmir and Upton contracts. He could cover 5m in that way.

I currently have the O's with about 38m to spend because they spent 2.7m for Worley minus 500K for a player that was displaces.

If the O's sign an Upton and a Jaso I think they can go with some combination for Walker or Mancini at 1B.

i like your post because it deals with fully holes and is rational about the payroll limitations. I don't think the O's will need to ask for an additional 5m because Dan will defer some money in large contracts like the Kazmir and Upton contracts. He could cover 5m in that way.

I currently have the O's with about 38m to spend because they spent 2.7m for Worley minus 500K for a player that was displaces.

If the O's sign an Upton and a Jaso I think they can go with some combination for Walker or Mancini at 1B.

I think the O's will still be short an OF in this scenario. Though Dariel Alvarez may make the team I don't see him starting ST as a starter. He will have to earn that. Reimold is more of a part time player.

He has Upton and Parra. That leaves 1/3 of an OF position, a right-handed hitting right fielder. Reimold or Alvarez qualify.

The current scouting and development regime has been in place for four years. Their first draft was 2012. From that draft:

Rnd 1 - Gausman, in the rotation

Rnd 2 - Branden Kline, injured

Rnd 3 - Marin, Arizona Fall League (21 years old)

Rnd 4 - Walker, major league roster

Rnd 19 - Hader, traded for Bud Norris

Does that really strike you as lousy? If every draft class produced two major leaguers for the team (obviously, Walker has yet to have more than a cup of coffee), and another who was traded for a multiple year starting pitcher within four years of the draft, we would have a decent pipeline going. I'm sure our scouting and developments systems could be improved, but I'm not ready to call them a failure.

It's a shame we traded Hader, but its doubtful that we would have gone to the ALCS in 2014 without Norris.

I do know that national publications rank the Orioles farm system as one of the worst, if not THE worst in baseball... and I trust them more than I trust in-house opinions (which is an awful thing but I've learned not to trust them). How much of that is due to 2012-2015 vs beforehand, I don't know.

I'm really doubting that there are better SP options available via trade. We've got a barren farm system and its not like teams are begging to get rid of cost controlled and effective young arms. I know it's incredibly unlikely, but I'd love to make a run at Puig. Easily the highest potential player that might be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived