Dan Duquette ON MLBNETWORK

weams

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't agree more with the last paragraph. No trades from our thin farm system. I'd rather take a step back and build the farm than execute another horrible trade of prospects for overrated, average players.

Don't speak for everyone. I'm a GIANT fan of trading prospects for overrated, average players.

Obviously Parra under-performed, as did the rest of the club. It's not like someone could not have predicted both of those things.
It would seem plenty of people could have predicted those things here. Time machines a plenty.

There was no lack of prognostication here saying that the O's were primed for a huge collapse and that all of their acquisitions were ill-advised, short-sighted, cheap to the point of madness, and crossing the line into lunacy. In 2012. And 2013, 2014, 2015. And all the years before that. And they were thinking that before OH existed.

I have mentioned him before. Also Kim,a lefty who plays outfield and first base and no posting fee.

The Orioles could avoid having to pay a posting fee with three other South Korean players expected to test the big league waters. Hyun-soo Kim, a 27-year-old outfielder, is now an international free agent after playing the past 10 years in the KBO, so major league teams are free to sign him. Kim, who played mostly left field and occasionally first base, hit .326, with 28 homers, 121 RBIs, 11 steals and 101 walks with the Doosan Bears.

I have mentioned him before. Also Kim,a lefty who plays outfield and first base and no posting fee.

The Orioles could avoid having to pay a posting fee with three other South Korean players expected to test the big league waters. Hyun-soo Kim, a 27-year-old outfielder, is now an international free agent after playing the past 10 years in the KBO, so major league teams are free to sign him. Kim, who played mostly left field and occasionally first base, hit .326, with 28 homers, 121 RBIs, 11 steals and 101 walks with the Doosan Bears.

I'm an advocate of acquiring guys like Son or Kim. But... it has to be in the proper context. .326/28/121 with 101 walks in Korea probably translates to something like .260/13/55 with 45 walks in the majors. If you can sign Kim for Parra money or less (say, 3/15), go for it.

Obviously Parra under-performed, as did the rest of the club. It's not like someone could not have predicted both of those things.

Well, Davis and Machado out-performed their expectations pretty significantly, especially considering Manny entered the season coming off two knee injuries. Plenty of folks on here predicted that the 2014 Orioles had out-performed their baseline averages and maybe dropped back down to earth in 2015.

Well, Davis and Machado out-performed their expectations pretty significantly, especially considering Manny entered the season coming off two knee injuries. Plenty of folks on here predicted that the 2014 Orioles had out-performed their baseline averages and maybe dropped back down to earth in 2015.

Was only talking from the deadline on. From the one game out pint to the cease and burn. Not annual projections.

"In fact, one club said, 'We don't concur with the national publications. We like a lot of your players in trades and we'd like to sit down and talk.'"

Context is everything. And timing. Context and timing is everything. Are. Context and timing are everything.

I'm an advocate of acquiring guys like Son or Kim. But... it has to be in the proper context. .326/28/121 with 101 walks in Korea probably translates to something like .260/13/55 with 45 walks in the majors. If you can sign Kim for Parra money or less (say, 3/15), go for it.

That's silly. Urrutia, Alvarez, Pearce all would put up .260/13/55 with a full season of play. There's no reason to go out and get another mediocre player ans spend $15M doing it. Put those $5M AAV toward an impact player.

That's silly. Urrutia, Alvarez, Pearce all would put up .260/13/55 with a full season of play. There's no reason to go out and get another mediocre player ans spend $15M doing it. Put those $5M AAV toward an impact player.

Urrutia (7), Alvarez (5) and Pearce (33) could also provide you with the 45 walks!

Archived