Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A good trade for both teams, I think. Nats needed to replace Span and upgrade from Michael Taylor who had like a .620 OPS last year. Storen is a good back end reliever but had a few high profile meltdowns in two postseasons for the Nats and needed a change of scenery. He'll help Toronto's pen.

Honestly I'm not sure I totally agree that this is good for the Nats, unless this is a prelude to another move to help out that bullpen. Just seems like they are further weakening the weakest element of their team. I don't mind Revere, and obviously Storen is no gem. I'd just be even more apprehensive if I was a Nats fan (which I'm decidedly not) about that conflagration of a bullpen.

Could they be a player for Miller from NYY? Or maybe another high profile relief acquisition? Not sure exactly what you do with Papelbon, but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juan Pierre had a career OPS of .704. He was was a very good ballplayer and one of the top leadoff guys over the last 20 years. The OPS isn't an end all be all stat. I'm not saying Revere is Juan Pierre, but he still has value.

Seriously? Pierre played 14 years and was worth 17 wins. He had a number of pretty good years, but despite playing right through the big offense era and leading off 162 games a year he scored 100 runs three times, two of those exactly 100. Yes, I suppose you could call him "one of the top leadoff guys over the last 20 years" since he's 50th in runs scored over that period and 291st in OBP (min 1500 PAs).

Even if you limit the search to guys with low power who probably batted leadoff a lot (say, ISOs under .125), Pierre is 52nd in OBP in the last 20 years. He wasn't in the same universe as a leadoff hitter as the 36-44 year old Rickey Henderson. Not nearly as good as dozens of others like Stan Javier or Wade Boggs or Mark Loretta or Ichiro or Mark McLemore.

Revere is an okay player, but he's a poor offensive player whose baserunning allows him to make back 4, 6, 8 runs a year that he loses on his poor hitting. And he's not a good center fielder, his 2014 metrics there were awful.

Seriously? Pierre played 14 years and was worth 17 wins. He had a number of pretty good years, but despite playing right through the big offense era and leading off 162 games a year he scored 100 runs three times, two of those exactly 100. Yes, I suppose you could call him "one of the top leadoff guys over the last 20 years" since he's 50th in runs scored over that period and 291st in OBP (min 1500 PAs).

Even if you limit the search to guys with low power who probably batted leadoff a lot (say, ISOs under .125), Pierre is 52nd in OBP in the last 20 years. He wasn't in the same universe as a leadoff hitter as the 36-44 year old Rickey Henderson. Not nearly as good as dozens of others like Stan Javier or Wade Boggs or Mark Loretta or Ichiro or Mark McLemore.

Revere is an okay player, but he's a poor offensive player whose baserunning allows him to make back 4, 6, 8 runs a year that he loses on his poor hitting. And he's not a good center fielder, his 2014 metrics there were awful.

Most similar?

Ginger Beaumont

Buttercup Dickerson

Patsy Donovan

Willie Wilson

Clyde Milan

And he played in the greatest offensive era in baseball.

84 OPS+ Career. He had years in the fifties and sixties an only two seasons over 100.

OPS+ is not a fair measure of evaluation for players who typically bat 1 or 2 and even 9 (or 8 in the the NL where real baseball rules are in operation) and whose primary job would be be to get on base and score. By using OPS or OPS+ you are factoring in power as a measure of player whose standard should be OBP. A player who can muster a pedestrian .311 OBP but have a decent 115 OPS+ is more apt to drive in runs as a primary function.

And WAR is a nice stat for comparison purposes but it is not scientific, because it cannot be tested. I understand it and it's uses, but to discount a provable stat like a .306 batting average in favor of a 1.7 oWAR, which is unprovable, is quite disturbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Revere had an OPS of .700+ this season....The Orioles could use a good lead off hitter. If you could get .300 /.340 and 30+ steals the would be quite valuable to this team.

By looking at BB reference thos numbers seem pretty realistic. That said. I prefer Upton.

Upton? You are comparing Revere to Upton? I was comparing him to Kim, and I much prefer Kim. He isn't in the same ballpark as Upton. Revere's lifetime OPS is .677, and that is only because of the outlier 2015 pulling it UP to .677. Mysterious knowledge of what pitch was coming may have helped him achieve the lofty .700+ OPS for the first time in his career in 2015. :laughlol:

Upton? You are comparing Revere to Upton? I was comparing him to Kim, and I much prefer Kim. He isn't in the same ballpark as Upton. Revere's lifetime OPS is .677, and that is only because of the outlier 2015 pulling it UP to .677. Mysterious knowledge of what pitch was coming may have helped him achieve the lofty .700+ OPS for the first time in his career in 2015. :laughlol:

We have no idea what Kim will be at the MLB level but we already know that Revere is at best a meh player. Succeed or fail, I like the Kim signing. There is risk but its a calculated one with more potential upside than down so long as they meaningfully address the other corner OF spot.

We have no idea what Kim will be at the MLB level but we already know that Revere is at best a meh player. Succeed or fail, I like the Kim signing. There is risk but its a calculated one with more potential upside than down so long as they meaningfully address the other corner OF spot.

It's also strange to see so many people project Kim to be our leadoff guy... I see him slotted for the bottom third of the lineup.

He will be given pretty much every opportunity to succeed in the MLB but we can't just assume his KBO stats will translate to an average/above-average MLB player.

It's also strange to see so many people project Kim to be our leadoff guy... I see him slotted for the bottom third of the lineup.

He will be given pretty much every opportunity to succeed in the MLB but we can't just assume his KBO stats will translate to an average/above-average MLB player.

I am with you here.

Hitting him in the bottom 1/3 should provide him an opportunity to get his legs about him so to speak. Its gonna be a bit of a transition I would imagine.

No problem with him earning his way to that role.

I also think this is why you have to address that other corner OF spot in a way that is meaningful.

If Kim fails or struggles, I can see some combination of Kim, Alvarez, Rickard, Reimold holding down one corner OF spot and being productive enough to not sink the team.

I have serious doubts that crew can fill two OF spots competently. Even if its not a Cespedes or Upton, we need a guy who can play corner OF and be relied on to be somewhat productive IMO.

I also think this is why you have to address that other corner OF spot in a way that is meaningful.

If Kim fails or struggles, I can see some combination of Kim, Alvarez, Rickard, Reimold holding down one corner OF spot and being productive enough to not sink the team.

I have serious doubts that crew can fill two OF spots competently. Even if its not a Cespedes or Upton, we need a guy who can play corner OF and be relied on to be somewhat productive IMO.

If they sign Davis you know Trumbo will be getting reps in the outfield.

If they sign Davis you know Trumbo will be getting reps in the outfield.

Yet another reason why the Orioles should not resign Chris Davis. Trumbo is most valuable at first base... but there is PA's obsession with Davis, which seems to trump what is best for the team.

Archived