Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, it's their job to generate discussion, so he's succeeded at that, and he can't be proven wrong.

Well if the goal was to generate discussion and your gonna simply make stuff up it would make a whole lot more sense to say a current teammate said these things and felt that way.

My guess is that Puig is indeed an idiot who is disliked for being such. I have little doubt that one of his former teammates who actually has a little respect for the game and what it has provided him in life would feel that way about him and be willing to say so in a somewhat anonymous way.

Yeah, put me there. Heyward is grossly overrated.

From the Post on a slow day:

But is Heyward the guy to which to grant that fair contract? By traditional measures, $200 million sounds absurd for Heyward because he has never driven in more than 82 runs in a season, has a career batting average of .268, has averaged fewer than 13 homers per season over the past three years. Yet the advanced analytics crowd, which tends to factor in defense and base running more, loves him. Over the past four seasons, here are the players who have accumulated more wins above replacement than Heyward, according to FanGraphs: Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen, Josh Donaldson, Buster Posey, Miguel Cabrera and Adrian Beltre. Heady company, for sure.

Offensively, there is discord in baseball, and even among the Nats? top evaluators, about what Heyward could become. There is one segment that believes he has untapped raw power, and the 27 homers he hit in 2012 should be the norm, not an aberration. (He otherwise hasn?t hit more than 14 homers since 2011). But other evaluators believe that, for a 6-foot-5, 245-pound specimen, he hits like a smaller man, compacting his lower half and failing to generate power consistently. This evaluation makes him a second- or sixth-hole hitter, and it?s hard to imagine spending premium dollars for those spots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/12/11/nationals-cubs-cards-evaluating-the-market-for-free-agent-outfielder-jason-heyward/

From the Post on a slow day:

But is Heyward the guy to which to grant that fair contract? By traditional measures, $200 million sounds absurd for Heyward because he has never driven in more than 82 runs in a season, has a career batting average of .268, has averaged fewer than 13 homers per season over the past three years. Yet the advanced analytics crowd, which tends to factor in defense and base running more, loves him. Over the past four seasons, here are the players who have accumulated more wins above replacement than Heyward, according to FanGraphs: Mike Trout, Andrew McCutchen, Josh Donaldson, Buster Posey, Miguel Cabrera and Adrian Beltre. Heady company, for sure.

Offensively, there is discord in baseball, and even among the Nats? top evaluators, about what Heyward could become. There is one segment that believes he has untapped raw power, and the 27 homers he hit in 2012 should be the norm, not an aberration. (He otherwise hasn?t hit more than 14 homers since 2011). But other evaluators believe that, for a 6-foot-5, 245-pound specimen, he hits like a smaller man, compacting his lower half and failing to generate power consistently. This evaluation makes him a second- or sixth-hole hitter, and it?s hard to imagine spending premium dollars for those spots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/12/11/nationals-cubs-cards-evaluating-the-market-for-free-agent-outfielder-jason-heyward/

Great Article, couldn't agree with it more. I am in the camp that Heyward is overrated since I believe that speed doesn't age well and he'll need to develop power to maintain WAR which looks questionable at this time. I realize that he's only 26 so his short term WAR may prove enough but I would hate to have that contract once he's in his 30s.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/STLCards?src=hash">#STLCards</a> out on Heyward, sources tell me and <a href="https://twitter.com/jonmorosi">@jonmorosi</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/dgoold">@dgoold</a> had indicated they no longer were in play.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Belief is that nats offered about $200M (maybe exactly $200M), yet doesn't look like it'll be them. That's a big try here.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Belief is that nats offered about $200M (maybe exactly $200M), yet doesn't look like it'll be them. That's a big try here.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

If 200 M is the top bid then he went to the Cubs. If it turns out to be more then it's LAA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Multiple sources indicate Heyward has indeed chosen Cubs over Cards, Nats.</p>— Gordon Wittenmyer (@GDubCub) <a href="

Archived