Trumbo an Oriole (For Clevenger Done Deal)

MASNPalmer

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know' date=' but we would be selling high. Cheap, controllable and if we can find a catching starved team [b'][that believes he's a legit everyday catcher and will be able to don the tools of ignorance more than 90-some times a year][/b]?

Fixed it for ya.

Well, I think the reality is that the range of outcomes that play into decision-making at the highest level are a lot broader than folks think.

I also think it's funny that some folks are furious at paying Wieters $16 MM for maybe two wins, but are ecstatic to have Trumbo at $9 MM for maybe a win and a half? One can be better than the other, but I'm struggling with one being genius and the other being moronic.

Because one is at a position of little need (Joseph and Clevenger would've been just fine) and the other is very likely a position of great need (if CD goes elsewhere we really don't have a viable 1B to start the year).

Because one is at a position of little need (Joseph and Clevenger would've been just fine) and the other is very likely a position of great need (if CD goes elsewhere we really don't have a viable 1B to start the year).

I don't necessarily agree that Joseph/Clevenger would've been just fine. Or that Trumbo addresses the loss of Davis.

I understood DD to be talking about getting a better guy to split time with CJ

I doubt though he has 15.8 million penciled in his budget for that.

Matt is a very good player, he just is not as valuable to this team as the money he is earning IMO because we have a guy who can do the job quite competently at a mere fraction of the price.

If our SP was set and the OF was set and 1B was set and MW had taken the QO, I would be right there with everyone thinking it's great. After all its not my money. Its the fact that none of those positions are settle and we lost that much of budget that concerns me and will have some impact on this teams ability to sign guys of consequence for those positions that concerns me.

Must spread rep SteveO. (But) that last paragraph is the quintessential expression of my sentiment regarding Matt's accepting the QO. (And) I'd add that I would've offered him the QO 10 times out of 10. It just turned out sub-optimally ... not "we're doomed" bad ... just not optimally.

Well IMO I don't think the Orioles are concerned with Caleb's value or what not. Both Buck and Dan know that if healthy or even at 80-90% MW is the better starting catcher.

Why do people not understand this..... Caleb is a serviceable catcher but if you compare an healthy MW to CJ, MW blows him away.

The 27 yr-old Matt Wieters maybe blows him away, but the 30+ Matt Wieters 3 years removed from a good full season? Probably not so much.

I don't necessarily agree that Joseph/Clevenger would've been just fine. Or that Trumbo addresses the loss of Davis.

I'm not implying that either of those things is true in terms of the production comparisons. (But) if you add in the additional production from the dollars saved from the first 2 options, then I'm fairly confident that the former pair plus the residual production would've been preferable. Obviously fantasy at this point.

Whether we deal Matusz or not we will see him at some point this year just because he has an option. Then going into 2017 Rifenhauser and Mac would both be out of options and battling to be the lefty.

It never hurts to have a second lefty in the pen. Or a 3rd.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams that have spoken with the Padres about James Shields say they're not looking to eat money & hope to get a young SS back (& more)</p>? Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would love if we could trade "bad" contracts and ship of JJ

Pulling out my handy ruler I think that's about 265 to LF, maybe 360 to RF, about the same to the little bump out in section 14, and about 425 to deepest LC. And maybe 20' from home to the backstop. I like it!

Problems arose with the design. :P

Archived