Tender Updates (Janish, Lough Non-Tendered)

wildcard

He is correct. There is a deadline to submit for arbitration at which the player becomes a free agent if the team doesn't submit for arbitration. I think that's around the beginning of the year. This allows the team and player to negotiate a contract within a reasonable amount of time for both sides.

That was yesterday. The nontender deadline.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, the last line covers players that have not signed and have not yet gone through arbitration.

An unsigned player on an MLB Reserve List released during the off-season receives no termination pay.

So you can tender a guy a contract, tell him that he has to sign below projection, and if he won't the day before the hearing you can release him with no forfeiture? Sounds wrong.

So you can tender a guy a contract, tell him that he has to sign below projection, and if he won't the day before the hearing you can release him with no forfeiture? Sounds wrong.

I'm sure the MLBPA would file a grievance, just as they do whenever a player who has won in arbitration is released before spring training.

One implication of the Carter and Alvarez non-tenders is that even if the Orioles have no interest in those guys, they may soften the market for Chris Davis. Neither of them is a player of Davis' caliber, but they do provide some offense for a team that needs it, at a much lower price in terms of contract and draft pick.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

These articles say that once the contract is tendered, the player is eligible for arbitration. I take that to mean that the team is committed to arbitration unless they agree to a contract before it goes to arbitration.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/12/01/wait-what-is-the-non-tender-deadline-again/

By midnight on Wednesday teams have to decide whether to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. If they do, the team retains control over the player. Now, to be clear, the team is not simply “tendering” the player the actual contract specifying what he’ll be paid. Think of it as more of a token gesture — a placeholder contract — at that point the team and the player can negotiate salary for 2016 and, if they can’t come to an agreement over that (i.e. an agreement avoiding arbitration) they will proceed to submit proposed salaries to one another and have a salary arbitration early in the spring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions#Free_agency_and_salary_arbitration

If the team non-tenders a player, however, that player immediately becomes a free agent, eligible to sign anywhere with no strings attached.

A player with fewer than six years of service time is eligible for salary arbitration if he:

is without a contract for the next season, AND

has been tendered a contract offer by his current team by the tender deadline, AND

cannot agree with his current team on a new contract, AND

meets one of the conditions below:

has been on a major league roster or disabled list for at least three years, OR

has at least two years of major league service but less than three, AND is among the top 22 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors in this class of players (and ties), AND was on an active major-league roster for at least 86 days in the previous season.

I'm sure the MLBPA would file a grievance, just as they do whenever a player who has won in arbitration is released before spring training.

And what happens then? Do you have any examples? I did ask the question of the club so I hope to get an answer.

These articles say that once the contract is tendered, the player is eligible for arbitration. I take that to mean that the team is committed to arbitration unless they agree to a contract before it goes to arbitration.

By midnight on Wednesday teams have to decide whether to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. If they do, the team retains control over the player. Now, to be clear, the team is not simply “tendering” the player the actual contract specifying what he’ll be paid. Think of it as more of a token gesture — a placeholder contract — at that point the team and the player can negotiate salary for 2016 and, if they can’t come to an agreement over that (i.e. an agreement avoiding arbitration) they will proceed to submit proposed salaries to one another and have a salary arbitration early in the spring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions#Free_agency_and_salary_arbitration

If the team non-tenders a player, however, that player immediately becomes a free agent, eligible to sign anywhere with no strings attached.

A player with fewer than six years of service time is eligible for salary arbitration if he:

has been tendered a contract offer by his current team by the tender deadline, AND

has at least two years of major league service but less than three, AND is among the top 22 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors in this class of players (and ties), AND was on an active major-league roster for at least 86 days in the previous season.

I think this is the answer for arb eligible players.

And what happens then? Do you have any examples? I did ask the question of the club so I hope to get an answer.

Not off the top of my head. I do remember, back in the early days of arbitration, when an Indians catcher won a huge award in arbitration and was released the next day. Hank Peters said, "His future is behind him."

Not off the top of my head. I do remember, back in the early days of arbitration, when an Indians catcher won a huge award in arbitration and was released the next day. Hank Peters said, "His future is behind him."

I expect that the current CBA has different rules. Like I said though, I asked. I expect to get an answer.

By midnight on Wednesday teams have to decide whether to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. If they do, the team retains control over the player. Now, to be clear, the team is not simply ?tendering? the player the actual contract specifying what he?ll be paid. Think of it as more of a token gesture ? a placeholder contract ? at that point the team and the player can negotiate salary for 2016 and, if they can?t come to an agreement over that (i.e. an agreement avoiding arbitration) they will proceed to submit proposed salaries to one another and have a salary arbitration early in the spring.

Thanks for looking into this.

Archived