50 years ago today...

Frobby

For some reason Frank was thought of as a troublemaker. The Reds had Vada Pinson in the outfield who was much less outspoken than Frank. Sometimes management pigeonholes certain guys and it's best for both parties to separate. It certainly worked out great for the Os.When's the season start.

I was alive and well at the time and I don't remember this. Robinson was thought of as what was called at the time "a National League ballplayer" which meant that he played really tough, came in at second with spikes flying, and you'd better not block the plate. I think this was sort of code for a black ballplayer, but not a troublemaker. I always felt the "old 30" business was a defensive reaction from the Reds when their fans expressed outrage at Robinson's trade.

Besides what he did both at the plate and the outfield he became the spiritual force behind the Orioles and led them where they weren't going without him. It was fun to watch.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank pulled a gun at a convenience store in Cincinnatti once. Imagine what would happen if he did it today. That was the beginning of the end for him in the Reds organization. They thought he was a "militant". The gun was an issue over a racial slur.

In a Frank Robinson biography that I once read when I was in 6th grade, it stated that the incident occurred a diner ....... and that after Robinson was arrested and released on his own recognizance, he went back to that same diner to finish his meal.

Robinson had stated that the reason why he drew his gun was because the cook behind the counter was making motions toward him with a knife in a threatening way.

Frank pulled a gun at a convenience store in Cincinnatti once. Imagine what would happen if he did it today. That was the beginning of the end for him in the Reds organization. They thought he was a "militant". The gun was an issue over a racial slur.

Honestly, probably easier today than back in the day. Look at everyone in the NFL that gets away with murder.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Indians">@Indians</a> to induct Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Frank Robinson into Hall of Fame<br><br>--><a href="https://t.co/I0lUyHeLTr">https://t.co/I0lUyHeLTr</a> <a href="https://t.co/ZlFY2GBpiG">pic.twitter.com/ZlFY2GBpiG</a></p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="

">January 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe title="Twitter Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 500px; height: 502.26px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 100%;" allowtransparency="true" data-tweet-id="693162005817982976"></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

I guess they mean "Indians Hall of Fame" but maybe solution to the real HOF's issues would be other groups just announcing they putting people in and daring the folks in Cooperstown to stop them.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none; visibility: hidden; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

I guess they mean "Indians Hall of Fame" but maybe solution to the real HOF's issues would be other groups just announcing they putting people in and daring the folks in Cooperstown to stop them.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none; visibility: hidden; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

The Yankee fans would induct Phil Hughes and Joba. By forced encampment.

• 1 year later...

o

While watching the Cardinals-Cubs game just now, the Cardinals' announcers stated that Milt Pappas threw a no-hitter at Wrigley Field in 1972, and that nobody else threw one there for another 43 years when Cole Hamels tossed one for the Phillies in 2015.

Also, the 1970 National League Champion Cincinnati Reds were shut out only one time that season ........ by Milt Pappas.

o

Archived