Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

The plan has to be to move Trumbo, Davis, and Kim through the RF/DH/1B slots. I'm not saying I like that plan, only that this looks to be where they are going. Davis may be the best defensive outfielder of the three which is a bit scary.

So, I'm setting the over/under for Davis starts in the outfield at 54 (1 in 3 games) and going with the over anyway. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My guess is that Buck settles on a configuration he likes and only gets to your numbers if there are injury(s).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The plan has to be to move Trumbo, Davis, and Kim through the RF/DH/1B slots. I'm not saying I like that plan, only that this looks to be where they are going. Davis may be the best defensive outfielder of the three which is a bit scary.

So, I'm setting the over/under for Davis starts in the outfield at 54 (1 in 3 games) and going with the over anyway. Anyone else?

I dunno. I really think Kim spends most of his time in LF with Davis/Trumbo splitting 1B/DH at about a 2-1 clip. Maybe Trumbo plays something like 10 games in the OF based on lineups, etc. Barring another acquisition, I think Alvarez/Player X are the primary RF options.

I've seen Trumbo mentioned as a potential trade chip. Maybe he and Walker/Mancini would be part of a deal to Colorado for one of their outfielders?

Davis was worth about 15 wins in his 20s. I'd guess 80%+ of players are worth more in their 20s than their 30s.

If you assume $7M/win, 5% inflation, 4-3-2-1 weighting of the last four years, and half a win decline a year Davis is worth about $120M. Without considering possibly accelerated decline due to age and type of player.

But his wins didn't come in his "20's", they came in the 4 previous years from 26-29, one could argue due to playing time. (maybe, who knows)

I was just corrected and only needing 15 wins, I would love to hear how that is not going to be likely even with some bad years.

At his worst he is at least a 1.5W player, and probably for the next 5 years at least.

Some perspective here...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told deal with Chris Davis is for less money than Cespedes was seeking <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm more bullish than straight analytics would predict for Davis at 1 standard deviation or so above his midline and I STILL can't get to a contract for $161M.

I accept the straight analytics as the most likely case. But then I just go with my heart and hope Davis is the rare case of just being awesome after signing an ill-advised deal.

I think the configuration he will like will be Davis in RF unless we sign someone else. Bucky is all about the defense. I actually like Trumbo but he is way to heavy footed to play the outfield.

Buck isn't all about the defense.

I can make quite a list of examples if you would like.

The Red Sox improved with Price and Kimbrel and there young core exploding

The Yankees improved with Chapman added to Miller and Betances to make the best bullpen in the majors

The Rays will improve by getting back a couple of stud starting pitchers who were injured all last year

Toronto didn't need to improve they are already 20 games better than the O's

Red Sox I agree with you - because they won 78 games last year. They're at least ten games better mainly because of their young players.

Yankees are only improved if their ancient core (ARod, Beltran, Tex) continues to defy age. Otherwise they won't score runs.

Rays are the last place team. Again their best hitter is Logan Forsythe. Starters have trouble staying healthy and their bullpen is questionable.

Blue Jays are fully capable of dropping off and there's no way they're 20 games better than the Orioles, Red Sox or Yankees.

Handicapping the East right now, I'd say the winner is the team that maintains the best health, not named the Rays. The Orioles do still need that pitcher that eats innings.

Archived