Buck: "I've Got Sleeper Ideas on Leadoff"

MASNPalmer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of surprised nobody mentioned Dexter Fowler.

• Career OBP .363
  • 29 years old
  • CF quality defender
  • Price has got to be dropping this late

Steals some bases but he gets caught as well.

Career OPS+ 104 (high of 120 in 2014), but he is never bad.

Kind of surprised nobody mentioned Dexter Fowler.
  • Career OBP .363
  • 29 years old
  • CF quality defender
  • Price has got to be dropping this late

Steals some bases but he gets caught as well.

Career OPS+ 104 (high of 120 in 2014), but he is never bad.

Whats your take on the rumors that Fowler isnt a good guy in the clubhouse?

I think his sleeper is LJ Hoes. He is familiar with Hoes and the organization has been trying to get him back ever since they traded him, my guess is Showalter is a part of that. In limited time in the majors he has shown the ability to get on base at a .330ish clip. You put him at leadoff and tell him he's got 3 all stars batting right behind him, just get on base.

I think his sleeper is LJ Hoes. He is familiar with Hoes and the organization has been trying to get him back ever since they traded him, my guess is Showalter is a part of that. In limited time in the majors he has shown the ability to get on base at a .330ish clip. You put him at leadoff and tell him he's got 3 all stars batting right behind him, just get on base.

I'm not sure what stats you're looking at, but his career OBP in MLB is .289. He did have a .332 OBP in 184 PA in 2013, but in 2014, he had just a .230 OBP in 136 PA and had just 16 PA last season. He certainly could become a reasonable on base guy given a real chance to do so, but I'm not convinced he's any better to lean on that a guy like Kim. I'm also not sure he gets the starting gig over Reimold. I don't think he's even a lock to make the roster, particularly if they add another OF.

I personally don't mind Machado leading off. I know we want to get him 2nd or 3rd to get more guys on, but he's our best all around hitter and I want him getting the most ABs.

At what point has LJ Hoes shown an ability to get on base at a .330ish clip playing every day? I like having Hoes around (Ok that sounded wrong) but as a leadoff hitter or every day player.....eh...not so much.

Sign Grady Sizemore for OF or Howie Kendrick as DH. And put at lead off.

Kendrick costs a draft pick and last I checked, Schoop looks to have a solid hold on 2B. Zero chance we sign (or shoudl sign) Kendrick IMO

Sizemore can't stay healthy and only gets on base at around a .310 clip in recent years. Would just as soon go with Nolan or Alvarez

Yesterday's Roch's entry has a little tidbit buried in it...

OK, who qualifies as the sleeper leadoff option? I'll go with Joey Rickard. We've beaten the rule five selection to death but putting up a .321 AVG with 21 SB last year is (hopefully) nothing to sleep on.

Any ideas on who else could Buck be referring to?

I wish he had a sleeper candidate to improve our SP.

Xavier Avery. Led off 15 games for us in 2012 and put up a .658 OPS in those games. Dig a little deeper in the SSS and see that he hit SP's to the tune of 288/364/390/753 in 68 AB's vs SP's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=averyxa01&year=Career&t=b

The guy could be everything we wanted David Lough to be. Drop some bunts down. Play great COF defense. Steal some bases. Plus he's not 22 years old anymore. He's 26 and should have a chip on his shoulder. Take some walks. Bunt. Put pressure on the defense and get on for the big boys. Play him vs RHP.

How do you feel about pie? I'd like to see more after wins this year.

Baltimore+Orioles+Photo+Day+C-A69XbbVOim.jpg

AJ started the pie-ing tradition after FP left us, right? Conspiracy theoreticians, chime in.

Archived