Buck: "I've Got Sleeper Ideas on Leadoff"

MASNPalmer

I think that his most likely primary roles will be pinch-running for Wieters in the late innings and being a late inning defensive replacement in the outfield.

Then they should consider whether it's worth it to keep him on the roster.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm shocked that Manny actually wants to be a lead off hitter.

Or is it really: Many actually want Manny to be a leadoff hitter?

I want Manny to bat with runners on base. I think he'll get more opportunities batting second - assuming they come up with a respectable leadoff hitter, and I think that will more than make up for losing a few plate appearances by not batting first.

Then they should consider whether it's worth it to keep him on the roster.

As with most Rule 5 acquisitions, the primary purpose is adding a player with promise for the future at virtually no cost. If he serves a purpose on the bench, such as late inning defense/pinch running, so much the better.

As with most Rule 5 acquisitions, the primary purpose is adding a player with promise for the future at virtually no cost. If he serves a purpose on the bench, such as late inning defense/pinch running, so much the better.

And as we've seen, there are ways of keeping them in the minors. With only 25 roster spots, you need more than a pinch runner / occasional late inning corner OFer replacement.

Anyway, I think they will find a bigger role for him - given the questionable talent the O's have in the OF.

o

Nolan Reimold.

That puts either him or Trumbo in RF on a daily basis.

I know.

I'd rather have Reimold in rightfield than Trumbo, and occasionally have him (Reimold) play leftfield, with some amount of DH mixed in.

If the Orioles acquire another outfielder and/or have someone that is already here that unexpectedly comes in and plays well early on, that would change the equation to an extent.

Nobody has mentioned L.J. Hoes, so I'll do it. He'll either post a decent OBP, or he won't be in the majors.

There's a wildcard.

He had an excellent OBP at the highest level of the minors (AAA) for the past 4 seasons in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

In the Major Leagues he had a decent OBP in limited action 2013, a horrible OBP in limited action 2014, and hardly played at all at that level in 2015.

There's a wildcard.

An excellent OBP at the highest level of the minors (AAA) for the past 4 seasons in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

In the Major Leagues he had a decent OBP in limited action 2013, a horrible OBP in limited action 2014, and hardly played at all in 2015.

I have to believe he could post a .335 or higher OBP as a major leaguer, given the opportunity. Of course, his SLG might also be .335.

Xavier Avery. Led off 15 games for us in 2012 and put up a .658 OPS in those games. Dig a little deeper in the SSS and see that he hit SP's to the tune of 288/364/390/753 in 68 AB's vs SP's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=averyxa01&year=Career&t=b

The guy could be everything we wanted David Lough to be. Drop some bunts down. Play great COF defense. Steal some bases. Plus he's not 22 years old anymore. He's 26 and should have a chip on his shoulder. Take some walks. Bunt. Put pressure on the defense and get on for the big boys. Play him vs RHP.

Xavier Avery. Led off 15 games for us in 2012 and put up a .658 OPS in those games. Dig a little deeper in the SSS and see that he hit SP's to the tune of 288/364/390/753 in 68 AB's vs SP's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=averyxa01&year=Career&t=b

The guy could be everything we wanted David Lough to be. Drop some bunts down. Play great COF defense. Steal some bases. Plus he's not 22 years old anymore. He's 26 and should have a chip on his shoulder. Take some walks. Bunt. Put pressure on the defense and get on for the big boys. Play him vs RHP.

I see a .333 minor league OBP. He would do all the little stuff except hit and get on base. Deep, deep sleeper.

Archived