Buck: "I've Got Sleeper Ideas on Leadoff"

MASNPalmer

Yesterday's Roch's entry has a little tidbit buried in it...

"There just aren't that many pure leadoff hitters like there used to be. They've kind of gone away. There's maybe three or four in each league, the way they're conventionally looked at. I don't know enough about Kim other than listening and watching. Until we get into spring ... I've got a couple other little sleeper ideas about leading off. In a perfect world, I would get Manny down, but Manny might fight you a little bit on it."

OK, who qualifies as the sleeper leadoff option? I'll go with Joey Rickard. We've beaten the rule five selection to death but putting up a .321 AVG with 21 SB last year is (hopefully) nothing to sleep on.

Any ideas on who else could Buck be referring to?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yesterday's Roch's entry has a little tidbit buried in it...

OK, who qualifies as the sleeper leadoff option? I'll go with Joey Rickard. We've beaten the rule five selection to death but putting up a .321 AVG with 21 SB last year is (hopefully) nothing to sleep on.

Any ideas on who else could Buck be referring to?

Reimold/Hoes if we hold pat could be an option. Both good OBP.

Other than Kim and Manny? I do think Rickard fits. Maybe Trumbo? There is always the Reimold option.

Trumbo would be a silly leadoff hitter. Silly in a bad way. .300 career OBP with negative baserunning value and plus power. I have trouble seeing him in the top half of the order.

Rickard is interesting. I don't think his OBP will translate. But I'm not betting the farm on it.

Batting order men's little. Just get your best hitters the most at bats and the lead off guy gets the most at bats.

The only issue with your best hitter batting 1st is the 1st AB solo homers that might have been multi run dingers. Not sure that's a huge number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batting order men's little. Just get your best hitters the most at bats and the lead off guy gets the most at bats.

The only issue with your best hitter batting 1st is the 1st AB solo homers that might have been multi run dingers. Not sure that's a huge number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I don't want to hand a bunch of ABs to an inferior player on the off chance he gets on base in front of Manny in the AB that Manny is able to deliver. I'd rather have Manny first and if he gets a double, he's set up those behind him well and if he homers then it's nice to have an early run.

If someone like Rickard or Reimold or Kim can surprise and show a great skill for getting on base, I'm all for them in the leadoff spot, but I don't want to put them there in hopes they'll perform. I'd rather have them prove they can perform and then put them there as a result.

Archived