Expensive $$$ Offseason-What would have done differently?

Rene88

Yes this is totally stupid. The guys a pro and he wants a future in MLB .

I'm sure he does, but I think DD had his mind set on going to Toronto and that it distracted him from the job he was supposed to do here which certainly affected our season. He wanted to go and almost did and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth about him especially considering the poor offseason we had as a result. I thought it was unprofessional to do what Toronto did and even more for DD who should have shot it down immediately if he was so committed to the Orioles. I'm not implying he is doing anything on purpose, just that his heart may not be fully into it as it was before all that happened. Just the fact that it got as far as it did tells me he expected to be gone and he made no secret that he was interested in leaving.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Don't sign Davis

2. Don't sign O'day

3. Don't tender Matusz

4. Don't sign Riemold

5. Stop the annual donation to the KBO bust of the year (don't sign Kim)

4. I'm okay with Trumbo if he was starting 1B

5. Sign Carter for 1/3.5

6. Sign Leake +Fister

7. Sign a COF'er who can catch (Denard Span, even Austin Jackson are better than we got)

And how can you take a guy like Triggs off the 40 man and still have Parades on it

8. Cut/trade Parades in December

The O's are now set up for at least 3 consecutive losing seasons, will we get back to 14, well we're on the right course

1. Don't sign Davis

2. Don't sign O'day

3. Don't tender Matusz

4. Don't sign Riemold

5. Stop the annual donation to the KBO bust of the year (don't sign Kim)

4. I'm okay with Trumbo if he was starting 1B

5. Sign Carter for 1/3.5

6. Sign Leake +Fister

7. Sign a COF'er who can catch (Denard Span, even Austin Jackson are better than we got)

And how can you take a guy like Triggs off the 40 man and still have Parades on it

8. Cut/trade Parades in December

The O's are now set up for at least 3 consecutive losing seasons, will we get back to 14, well we're on the right course

Congratulations on your 2500th post.

I'm sure he does, but I think DD had his mind set on going to Toronto and that it distracted him from the job he was supposed to do here which certainly affected our season. He wanted to go and almost did and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth about him especially considering the poor offseason we had as a result. I thought it was unprofessional to do what Toronto did and even more for DD who should have shot it down immediately if he was so committed to the Orioles. I'm not implying he is doing anything on purpose, just that his heart may not be fully into it as it was before all that happened. Just the fact that it got as far as it did tells me he expected to be gone and he made no secret that he was interested in leaving.

It paid real big money, a lot of prestige. Dan Duquette was never going to be a Oriole lifer. Just a well paid GM that knew how to do the job and had contacts. HE would have loved to make five times as much and be president of a very big company. I wish they had not tampered with the Orioles employee.

People on here belly-ache about Gallardo's declining K rate and call for Mike Leake who's k-rate is declining as well and is less than Gallardo's. And they want to guarantee him $50M more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter who DD signed or traded for, we would have pages on OH from those not happy.

It doesn't matter who DD signed or traded for, we would have pages on OH from those not happy.

Agreed. Likewise, it doesn't matter how many moves there were out there that would have made the team exponentially better/cheaper/more dynamic/etc., there will be the same posters insisting none of it was possible because it didn't happen, and the front office did the very best anyone could reasonably be expected to do.

People on here belly-ache about Gallardo's declining K rate and call for Mike Leake who's k-rate is declining as well and is less than Gallardo's. And they want to guarantee him $50M more.

I didn't hear much of that at all. Most of the chatter after Leake's deal was that he was overpaid. After Price and Zimmerman, there were not a lot of guys who would have been upgrades.

Myself, after the elite pitchers were gone, I would have been fine keeping the draft pick and going with internal options. Gallardo just seems like regression waiting to happen, and a waste of money and the pick.

I started to like the deal when it appeared we would be getting Fowler with the #2 pick, but then Fowler fell through. While Fowler is at least partially to blame, the front office certainly bungled that one as well by moving forward with Gallardo before anything with Fowler was in writing. Wait until you have signatures from both players and then put the team's signature on them at the same time and do not accept one without the other.

I didn't hear much of that at all. Most of the chatter after Leake's deal was that he was overpaid. After Price and Zimmerman, there were not a lot of guys who would have been upgrades.

Myself, after the elite pitchers were gone, I would have been fine keeping the draft pick and going with internal options. Gallardo just seems like regression waiting to happen, and a waste of money and the pick.

I started to like the deal when it appeared we would be getting Fowler with the #2 pick, but then Fowler fell through. While Fowler is at least partially to blame, the front office certainly bungled that one as well by moving forward with Gallardo before anything with Fowler was in writing. Wait until you have signatures from both players and then put the team's signature on them at the same time and do not accept one without the other.

I've seen at least two calls for Leake in this thread.

It paid real big money, a lot of prestige. Dan Duquette was never going to be a Oriole lifer. Just a well paid GM that knew how to do the job and had contacts. HE would have loved to make five times as much and be president of a very big company. I wish they had not tampered with the Orioles employee.

Yeah, I understand the deal with the money and the prestige and all that and I know he wasn't going to be a lifer especially with Angelos's son blocking any possibility for promotion, but I do expect him to put the Orioles first while he's here and not be looking to jump ship at the first chance. The tampering did have an effect on our season last year and who knows if there's any tension in the FO considering PA was the one that essentially ruined it for DD.

Yeah, I understand the deal with the money and the prestige and all that and I know he wasn't going to be a lifer especially with Angelos's son blocking any possibility for promotion, but I do expect him to put the Orioles first while he's here and not be looking to jump ship at the first chance. The tampering did have an effect on our season last year and who knows if there's any tension in the FO considering PA was the one that essentially ruined it for DD.

Horse Hockey.

The tampering how nothing to do with the SP woes, the inability of De Aza and Parra to play well, when wearing an Oriole uniform, and the big collapse in August, after being with a couple of games.

Horse Hockey.

The tampering how nothing to do with the SP woes, the inability of De Aza and Parra to play well, when wearing an Oriole uniform, and the big collapse in August, after being with a couple of games.

It did affect DD's focus when trying to sign players we needed. You don't think there was a conflict of interest going on with him having both feet out the door about to go off to a division rival's front office? It was a distraction to everyone involved.

It did affect DD's focus when trying to sign players we needed. You don't think there was a conflict of interest going on with him having both feet out the door about to go off to a division rival's front office? It was a distraction to everyone involved.

You don't know that.

That is pure speculation.

I think Dan was limited by his budget and his desire to retain as much as possible from a 96 win club. In a move by move basis I can't find too much to disagree with what Dan did last year.

Archived