D.J. Stewart 2016

Frobby

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, Wiggington wasn't athletic?

He moved well enough to play 2B and 3B. But sure, he wasn't that nimble either.

I've seen them both play at least 5 games in person. And less-athletic Ty Wigginton is how I'd describe him. And I'm fully aware that that's not flattering.

I've seen them both play at least 5 games in person. And less-athletic Ty Wigginton is how I'd describe him. And I'm fully aware that that's not flattering.

Yes, I was aware, too. Little disappointing our 1st rounder gets compared to Ty Wiggington, but there it is.

Ty would have been fine in left.

Yes, I was aware, too. Little disappointing our 1st rounder gets compared to Ty Wiggington, but there it is.

I think if you get a Wigginton career out of that pick, you call it a win.

But at the same time, you can find your random Ty Wigginton's pretty easily in any given year. So again, I'm not going to be broken up if he doesn't live up to what I imagine his upside to be.

In fact, they should be the least risky pick. If you draft a college hitter in the 1st round, you should feel pretty good about his ability to hit at this point. It's almost amazing how bad Stewart has been. Even if you didn't like his body type, defense and speed, most had to think he would at least hit in the low minors. I don't know where teams had him pegged, but I didn't really think the Orioles reached with this selection in a weak draft class. It's a very strange situation and feel bad for the kid.

Many had him as a second or third rounder.

So, what's the explanation then? Are they going under slot in order to have more in other areas? Because it doesn't seem like it.

Explanation for what? I would assume the Orioles did not have him as a second or third rounder.

Archived