Gibbons didn't see the forest through the trees

Frobby

Hunter said that Gibbons and Kevin Cash are basically ready to challenge every single play. LOL. He was quick to say that he was joking/exaggerating, but you could tell that he finds it annoying. Palmer literally laughed at Gibbons at one point yesterday.

Hmmm... maybe that's a point in favor of a stricter challenge rule, with consequences for being wrong. Stick it the knee-jerk emotional managers like Gibbons, who seem to manage like a fan yelling at the TV.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm... maybe that's a point in favor of a stricter challenge rule, with consequences for being wrong. Stick it the knee-jerk emotional managers like Gibbons, who seem to manage like a fan yelling at the TV.

Absolutely. With all that MLB has done recently to try to speed up pace of play, it's odd that they let managers challenge every other play, regardless of how often something actually gets overturned.

Gibbons walks to the mound like Encarnacion jogs out a grounder.

Hunter tried to make up some BS excuse for him, but I've seen him run around the bases after a HR 3x faster than he ran out that squibler, and that's with his arm flapping around like a chicken wing. Martin, too. The Jays are just an extremely unlikable team.

I think Gibbons the perfect manager for this Blue Jays team. The casting couldn't be more ideal especially when you factor in the obnoxiousness quotient. Ask me who I prefer I'll take Joe Girardi any day and watching Girardi is like eating oatmeal sprinkled with ground glass.

I think they're both douchenozzles....

Gibbons walks to the mound like Encarnacion jogs out a grounder.

You know that was completely and totally obvious sitting in the stands. Multiple people remarked that especially Encarnacion but also Martin and maybe Donaldson just don't run on grounders. At all. There was a slow chopper to Flaherty that I was sure would be an infield hit but Encarnacion was out by three steps because he never got faster than a brisk walk. He makes the complaints about Brian Roberts or Machado not hustling all the time look really silly.

True,

But one of them, can actually manage pretty good, in spite of being a person not liked much in Birdland.

Which one? I assume you mean Girardi, the man of 1000 pitching changes per game. I dunno how he doesn't kill his 'pen with all the pitching changes he makes. Drives me nuts every time we play them.

I dislike Girardi as a person, but he can manage.

He did well in FLA, but I don't think he's done a great job in NY. Not bad, mind you, but put it this way, I sure as hell wouldn't take him over Buck. They've won because they were loaded. He manages every game like it's Game 7 of the WS. On the face of it, that sounds good, but they were beating us here earlier in the season like 8-1 in 7th inning, and he made like 2 or 3 pitching changes. It's like he changes pitchers just because he enjoys walking to the mound to chat with the infielders, lol. Just gets on my damn nerves...lol.

Seems the easy challenge fix is to let the game go along at its normal speed and to stop giving a manager 1-2 minutes to see IF he is going to challenge. The system is in place primarily to fix egregiously bad calls that are obvious to everybody except the guy who made it. It's not really there to see if there was 2 cm of daylight possibly between the runner/ball and the glove/bag/baseline. If you want to challenge, stop the game and challenge. If you're not sure, then the call must not have been that bad in the first place.

Seems the easy challenge fix is to let the game go along at its normal speed and to stop giving a manager 1-2 minutes to see IF he is going to challenge. The system is in place primarily to fix egregiously bad calls that are obvious to everybody except the guy who made it. It's not really there to see if there was 2 cm of daylight possibly between the runner/ball and the glove/bag/baseline. If you want to challenge, stop the game and challenge. If you're not sure, then the call must not have been that bad in the first place.

And/or put a hard limit on time to review. From the second the manager says "hey, hold on blue" the whole process has 120 seconds to complete. If they can't figure it out by then, or the manager delays, the call stands.

And/or put a hard limit on time to review. From the second the manager says "hey, hold on blue" the whole process has 120 seconds to complete. If they can't figure it out by then, or the manager delays, the call stands.

Do like they do in the NFL. 5-Yard Delay of Game Penalty

The Home Run wall gets extended by a 5-yard higher netting for that teams batting-half of the inning :P

Archived