Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

The body of evidence certainly shows that the Braves are not above making a mistake -

They signed Markakis for 4 years, in the middle of a rebuild.

Also, scoreboard.

How are you trying to scoreboard me when my issue is the future?

Scoreboard me in five seasons when the team is in first place in July.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The average value of a #76 pick is something like one win in the six years of team control. So let's say $8M. The Orioles got the remainder of Matusz' salary and two minor league players for $8M.

I'd rather they kept the pick, but assessing the relative values of what was traded it was fairly even.

If the #76 player averages 1 win, don't you have to deduct the cost of that player from $8M to get his value? If he does play six years, wouldn't his total salary, conservatively, be between $5-$6M, plus his slot money, and the remainder of Matusz's salary be greater than $8M?

Has Lee actually accomplished something?

I mean don't get me wrong, if you won't use the international money than you should get what you can for it, but I wouldn't say Lee is a proven difference maker.

So your arguement is that Lee hasn't done anything yet the 76th pick who is not even made yet would be an all star major league player for sure.

I really think the Orioles are kinda of doing things a little different then lots of teams. If you look now all you hear is that teams want power arms in the pen. The Orioles seem to be a bit different we don't have the power arms but have guys that are desepctive and throw kinda three quarter side arm. O'day, Givens, and Brach all do this and are not real power arms Givens is the only one close but he is 94-95 not really a power arm in bullpen standpoints.

The Braves have changed gm's since these players were drafted and if you look at it these guys may not have fit the mold for the type of player they want their team and farm to be. Teams have different criteria of what type of player they want and when gm's or managers change sometimes certain players don't fit the mold anymore.

So your arguement is that Lee hasn't done anything yet the 76th pick who is not even made yet would be an all star major league player for sure.

I really think the Orioles are kinda of doing things a little different then lots of teams. If you look now all you hear is that teams want power arms in the pen. The Orioles seem to be a bit different we don't have the power arms but have guys that are desepctive and throw kinda three quarter side arm. O'day, Givens, and Brach all do this and are not real power arms Givens is the only one close but he is 94-95 not really a power arm in bullpen standpoints.

The Braves have changed gm's since these players were drafted and if you look at it these guys may not have fit the mold for the type of player they want their team and farm to be. Teams have different criteria of what type of player they want and when gm's or managers change sometimes certain players don't fit the mold anymore.

How, in any way shape or form, have I stated, or even vaguely speculated that?

I didn't even read the rest of your post.

That is about the most ridiculous intentional misrepresentation of another poster's opinions I have ever seen.

So some organizational guys were acquired in order to save a marginal player's salary, forfeit another draft pick and some more prospect money. Sounds great.

Increasing payroll by leaps and bounds is just fine, sacrificing picks and 20+ million for Yovani Gallardo is fine, but eating Brian Matusz's salary is where the line gets drawn.

So some organizational guys were acquired in order to save a marginal player's salary, forfeit another draft pick and some more prospect money. Sounds great.

Increasing payroll by leaps and bounds is just fine, sacrificing picks and 20+ million for Yovani Gallardo is fine, but eating Brian Matusz's salary is where the line gets drawn.

They also would rather have Kim sitting on the bench than eat his contract.

The average value of a #76 pick is something like one win in the six years of team control. So let's say $8M. The Orioles got the remainder of Matusz' salary and two minor league players for $8M.

I'd rather they kept the pick, but assessing the relative values of what was traded it was fairly even.

I don't think you can say one win over 8 years is 8 million dollars. You are thinking if 1 WAR per season is worth 8 million than 1 WAR over 8 seasons is 8 million. That is faulty logic. 1 WAR over 8 years is replacement level player to me. Also O'Day is 2 WAR per season and he isn't getting 16 million a year.

Archived