I think Kevin Gausman may hold the key to our season

Frobby

1st three games: 1.42 ERA

Last five games: 5.34 ERA

The announcers keep focusing on the fact that Gausman has received poor run support, but he also hasn't pitched that well of late. His decent overall ERA is mostly a function of those first three starts. He's only had one other really good start this season.

The back of the rotation is very shaky, so we really need consistently good performance on the front end. For us to stay in contention, Gausman needs to pick up his game.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1st three games: 1.42 ERA

Last five games: 5.34 ERA

The announcers keep focusing on the fact that Gausman has received poor run support, but he also hasn't pitched that well of late. His decent overall ERA is mostly a function of those first three starts. He's only had one other really good start this season.

The back of the rotation is very shaky, so we really need consistently good performance on the front end. For us to stay in contention, Gausman needs to pick up his game.

I agree totally, maybe, it just a bit of dead arm, and he works through it quickly.

“I would have said that win, lose or draw. A guy gave us six innings of one-run ball. Take that every night, but ... If he wasn’t attacking them the way he was, he may not have made it six innings. He can go six innings and give up six runs and have 80 pitches. I’ll take that and the finished product.”

Buck Showalter

“I would have said that win, lose or draw. A guy gave us six innings of one-run ball. Take that every night, but ... If he wasn’t attacking them the way he was, he may not have made it six innings. He can go six innings and give up six runs and have 80 pitches. I’ll take that and the finished product.”

Buck Showalter

Buck is like the Oracle of Delphi.

This is really no different than what we said at the start of the season. I think there was a thread before the season started that said the same thing -- "Gausman is the X Factor" or something.

Having only one starting pitcher they can count on leaves too much for the Orioles to handle. Having two -- Tillman and Gausman -- means they have three rotation spots to figure out, perhaps two if Wilson continues to pitch like a #5.

One run ball and he battled through not having his best stuff. The same is said regularly about Tillman.

They're pretty close in terms of production. Tillman 130 ERA+ and Gausman 123. They both strike out 8 P/9 with Tillman's walks (3.7) higher than Gausman (2.2). Tillman gives up less hits per 9IP with 6.9 vs 8.4 for KG.

Tillman holds batters to a .598 OPS with runners in scoring position this year. Gausman is at .492 Not what I was expecting!

Not saying this is you, but some may be thrown by the discrepancy in their W/L records. That 0-3 for KG is real ugly, he must not be any good.

• 1 month later...

I'm coming back to this topic because as I think about how our rotation can improve, Gausman is an obvious part of the answer. He doesn't even need to improve that much, just the odd run here and there and getting it to the bullpen when he has the lead. No reason why the O's shouldn't win 55-60% of his starts in the second half.

I'm coming back to this topic because as I think about how our rotation can improve, Gausman is an obvious part of the answer. He doesn't even need to improve that much, just the odd run here and there and getting it to the bullpen when he has the lead. No reason why the O's shouldn't win 55-60% of his starts in the second half.

I was just on the 'voting' poll about our chances of winning the division. I agree he is absolutely key. A lot of opinion on the voting about 1 or 2 starters needed. I believe if he can, as you say, win us 55 to 60 percent then I say we only would need 1 arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I just hear Joe Angel correctly? Gausman hasn't won a road game in 23 consecutive starts, wow. They were suggesting Gausman stay in the bullpen instead of waiting on the bench on the road to start the 1st innings as Palmer used to do. That way if the O's have a longer first inning Gausman can throw a few extra pitches in the pen to warm up when necessary.

• 1 month later...

Gausman v. Sabbathia II tonight. Gausman came up huge last Sunday. We need him to come up huge again tonight. Winning tonight would put us in a really nice position going into Sunday. Let's clinch a series win and go for the sweep!

Gausman v. Sabbathia II tonight. Gausman came up huge last Sunday. We need him to come up huge again tonight. Winning tonight would put us in a really nice position going into Sunday. Let's clinch a series win and go for the sweep!

You said it.

Archived