Bud Norris and Arodys Vizcaino?

Dark Helmet

Why the attack? All I'm saying is mediocre to average pitching would be just spinning wheels.

It's been done before by other teams, so duquette can get creative or pass...whatever just no more of the guys I mentioned.

I apologize, it was not meant as an attack at all. The reason we can't get a top of the rotation starter is because no one, not even Dan Duquette, can put together a realistic package to get one without depleting the major league team. We simply do not have the horses in the minors to acquire a frontline starter.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I apologize, it was not meant as an attack at all. The reason we can't get a top of the rotation starter is because no one, not even Dan Duquette, can put together a realistic package to get one without depleting the major league team. We simply do not have the horses in the minors to acquire a frontline starter.

How many TOR starters are even available?

I failing to see why Norris would help the O's. He has a 5.02 ERA in 10 starts this season. He was a disaster last season. What does any one think he offers better than what the O's have?

I agree with those that think if the O's add to the pen it will be a lefthander. The O's already have one of the best righthanded pens in baseball.

How many TOR starters are even available?

Right, then you need to match up for a trade. Realistic targets could be Sale or Quintana, Gray, Shoemaker, Pomeranz, Hill and Teheran. Those guys are either pitching like frontline starters this year or have in the recent past.

Sale probably isn't getting moved and even if he was we definitely don't have the package to get him. Quintana is probably in the same boat. We don't have a package for Gray or probably Teheran either. We could probably acquire Hill, Pomeranz or Shoemaker realistically, but do they all count and will their recent success continue? Rich Hill is Rich Hill. Matt Shoemaker has been great but he's coming off a brutal year in 2015. Drew Pomeranz has been pretty solid for a bit now but it unestablished.

Right, then you need to match up for a trade. Realistic targets could be Sale or Quintana, Gray, Shoemaker, Pomeranz, Hill and Teheran. Those guys are either pitching like frontline starters this year or have in the recent past.

Sale probably isn't getting moved and even if he was we definitely don't have the package to get him. Quintana is probably in the same boat. We don't have a package for Gray or probably Teheran either. We could probably acquire Hill, Pomeranz or Shoemaker realistically, but do they all count and will their recent success continue? Rich Hill is Rich Hill. Matt Shoemaker has been great but he's coming off a brutal year in 2015. Drew Pomeranz has been pretty solid for a bit now but it unestablished.

Gray hasn't won since April and his ERA is over 5, which is better than being over 6, where it had been.

I do not believe the Birds are the only team looking for pitching, so it will be a bidder's war.

Fangraphs? Jeff Sullivan examines Norris? remarkable turnaround since rejoining the Braves? rotation and attributes the success to the fact that Norris has abandoned his previously ineffective changeup in favor of a cutter that has generated tremendous results. Left-handers were never especially troubled by Norris? change, but they?ve been absolutely stymied by his new cut fastball, which has also caused a significant spike in his ground-ball percentage. There?s probably some degree of regression in store ? Norris has a .269 BABIP and hasn?t allowed a single homer since returning to the rotation ? but the new pitch has had a profound impact on Norris and could be the start of a sustainable run of success.

Well what do you know, that damn cutter.

Gray hasn't won since April and his ERA is over 5, which is better than being over 6, where it had been.

I do not believe the Birds are the only team looking for pitching, so it will be a bidder's war.

Right, Gray falls in the "recent past" category.

Well, I think the O's would be foolish to trade Lee without getting an outstanding player. Some say he is the top arm in the O's system. When you have a lefty who has a fastball in the mid 90's and has shown very good command, you keep him, imo.

Lee is not highly rated in a very weak system and has struck out 19 batters in 50+ innings at AA.

I failing to see why Norris would help the O's. He has a 5.02 ERA in 10 starts this season. He was a disaster last season. What does any one think he offers better than what the O's have?

I agree with those that think if the O's add to the pen it will be a lefthander. The O's already have one of the best righthanded pens in baseball.

Not sure who's numbers your looking at, but it isn't Bud Norris. He has a 4.22 ERA and is averaging almost 8 K per. Tell me how that isn't better than Ubaldo/Wright?

Archived