Attendance

Todd-O

I personally feel very safe around the stadium, but you can't tell other people how to feel. I'm surprised to hear that last year's riots have had any lasting effect on people's perceptions of their safety, but apparently some people do feel that way, so I am sure that has some impact on attendance.

My engilsh teacher and her family (all nats fans) wanted to go to OPACY for an O's Nats fame and now don't because they don't know the area and don't want their 10 and 8 year old kids seeing anything awful. I played defense and pointed out the scary areas of DC and how they were arguably worse than Baltimore, but that was her fear. It's the city's reputation at this point, right, wrong or indifferent, that is keeping potential ticket buyers like her away. I personally am not scared, and never was. Just deeply upset at everyone involved, and what happened. I love that city and hope it rises from the ashes once again.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't be a fear monger.

Like any large city, Toronto, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angelos, there is going to be crime.

I have no fear of traveling through Baltimore, but, you use your head and don't be stupid, either.

Agreed. The whole idea that Baltimore is some city on the precipice of disaster is baffling. All major cities have bad areas, all major cities have problems. NYC has burned before, too, on numerous occasions. They got over it.

If you're self-aware, you can get into and out of Baltimore with little to no issue. There are countless people that live and work there and never have a bad experience. It's not the hellhole people like to melodramatically pretend it is. My cousin has lived in the city his entire adult life and never so much as gotten looked at funny.

What's driving down attendance is simple: They hiked up ticket prices. I live about an hour out, and normally attend 5-6 home games a year. This year it's been 1, and will probably stay 1. Because of my distance, I usually have to focus on weekend games. And they've jacked up the prices for them, regardless of opponent. It's baffling that I can't get a cheap seat to see them play the freaking Rays on a Sunday.

Agreed. The whole idea that Baltimore is some city on the precipice of disaster is baffling. All major cities have bad areas, all major cities have problems. NYC has burned before, too, on numerous occasions. They got over it.

If you're self-aware, you can get into and out of Baltimore with little to no issue. There are countless people that live and work there and never have a bad experience. It's not the hellhole people like to melodramatically pretend it is. My cousin has lived in the city his entire adult life and never so much as gotten looked at funny.

What's driving down attendance is simple: They hiked up ticket prices. I live about an hour out, and normally attend 5-6 home games a year. This year it's been 1, and will probably stay 1. Because of my distance, I usually have to focus on weekend games. And they've jacked up the prices for them, regardless of opponent. It's baffling that I can't get a cheap seat to see them play the freaking Rays on a Sunday.

You can ignore facts all you want. I have traveled to a lot of cities and Cities like Columbus, San Antonio, San Francisco, Boston etc have a lot less violent crime than Baltimore. And don't even start comparing to Canadian and European cities. Baltimore has a very high crime rate no matter what your straw man argument about your cousin's experiences.

You can ignore facts all you want. I have traveled to a lot of cities and Cities like Columbus, San Antonio, San Francisco, Boston etc have a lot less violent crime than Baltimore. And don't even start comparing to Canadian and European cities. Baltimore has a very high crime rate no matter what your straw man argument about your cousin's experiences.

You can pick and chose your crime stats, but St. Louis has a higher homicide rate than Baltimore.

Los Angelos is more deadly than Baltimore, but the population of 10 Million drives the homicide rate lower than Baltimore.

If you dont think Canadian and European cities, dont have crimes, you are sadly mistaken. Toronto's murder rate is up over 200% in the past year.

Baltimore is definitely more dangerous than Toronto and Los Angelos. I am not being a fear monger but there is facts and there are just nonsense. Baltimore is dangerous. It has the 18th highest murder rate of any city in the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

You are talking about two different realities. Yes to be sure, Baltimore in general is a dangerous city. But before, during and after O's games it is very safe unless you go out away from the park too much. The police presence is heavy and you could argue heavier than in other cities because of the recent events. This may actually make it safer during games. Believe me the city wants to protect people at games for economic reasons.

I live in the city and it seemed to be making progress with crime and image and then the unrest. People seem less friendly and crime has gone up even in so called safe areas. People also seem more tense. A few of my friends have moved out and more are looking into it. Port Covington might help but people don't want to give breaks to rich people will the rest of the city is in distress.

Personally, and I am sure that a lot of people share this attitude, but the convenience, experience, and cost of watching at home greatly outweigh going to the stadium. I live quite a drive away, I don't have to worry about parking. I have a family of 4 - that's expensive for a night of baseball. And, increasingly, at sporting events, I have to worry about my young children around some of the behavior. It's either college kids drunk a cursing, some clown in my seats and being a jerk when asked to leave, etc. I'll take the home experience 158 nights a year and plan a few "get night nights" at the park.

You can pick and chose your crime stats, but St. Louis has a higher homicide rate than Baltimore.

Los Angelos is more deadly than Baltimore, but the population of 10 Million drives the homicide rate lower than Baltimore.

If you dont think Canadian and European cities, dont have crimes, you are sadly mistaken. Toronto's murder rate is up over 200% in the past year.

Of course the more people you have you need more murders to have the same crime rate. I never said St Louis wasn't as or more dangerous than Baltimore. If the murder rate is lower you have less chance of being murdered. I don't know how you can't grasp that. Toronto is much safer than Baltimore. No matter if the crime rate has gone up 200 percent or not.

I Haven't picked and choosed anything. Murder Rate and Violent Crime Rates are not picking and choosing. THese are stats the FBI uses. If you want to compare cities of different population sizes that is what you would use. Rates.

Personally, and I am sure that a lot of people share this attitude, but the convenience, experience, and cost of watching at home greatly outweigh going to the stadium. I live quite a drive away, I don't have to worry about parking. I have a family of 4 - that's expensive for a night of baseball. And, increasingly, at sporting events, I have to worry about my young children around some of the behavior. It's either college kids drunk a cursing, some clown in my seats and being a jerk when asked to leave, etc. I'll take the home experience 158 nights a year and plan a few "get night nights" at the park.

I have had the problem of people in my seats being annoying when asked to leave as well. One guy left his cell phone behind after being a jerk. I did not run after to give him his phone back. Gave it to to the usher an inning later. Karma in my book.

I find club level seats the best when bringing small children to the game. They don't allow people to buy the cheapest tickets in the house and then sneak up to club level.

You are talking about two different realities. Yes to be sure, Baltimore in general is a dangerous city. But before, during and after O's games it is very safe unless you go out away from the park too much. The police presence is heavy and you could argue heavier than in other cities because of the recent events. This may actually make it safer during games. Believe me the city wants to protect people at games for economic reasons.

I don't have a problem going to the games because of safety but I think it isn't fair to tell people Baltimore is safe. You get a few blocks from the stadium and you are on a side street you could find your self in trouble. Parking in the stadium lots is the best bet. Or near Pratt street. It is true they have a big police presence and odds are nothing will happen to you in those areas.

I have had the problem of people in my seats being annoying when asked to leave as well. One guy left his cell phone behind after being a jerk. I did not run after to give him his phone back. Gave it to to the usher an inning later. Karma in my book.

I find club level seats the best when bringing small children to the game. They don't allow people to buy the cheapest tickets in the house and then sneak up to club level.

I definitely agree with the club level, but that just adds to the cost. Maybe I am just getting old and turning into a hermit.

Walkup sales do not drive attendance. Average walkup is between 3000 and 5000, depending on the weather, day of the week, who's pitching, etc. What really drives your attendance is season ticket sales and the Orioles severely bungled season ticket renewals this offseason. Sure the price hikes hurt but I think the real issue was the extremely late/delayed mailing of season ticket renewal invoices.

If you recall, we basically held off on season ticket renewals until after Davis was resigned; then letters were mailed out sometime in mid February, only about 6 weeks before opening day. In years past, season ticket renewals were coming out in December, IIRC. (I'm including a link from the Sun in 2015, where renewals were sent out in January that year and that it was nearly 2 months late) That additional time afforded people the opportunity to make a decision, work out payments. etc. Instead, you not only sharply increase prices but you also give fans virtually no time to make their decision.

I can speak to this personally; my folks have been season ticket holders for 10 years.By the time they got their renewal letter, they decided against it because they didn't have enough time to pay off their plan. Had they gotten their renewal in December, they would've renewed.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-orioles-will-not-raise-ticket-prices-for-2015-20150127-story.html

Of course the more people you have you need more murders to have the same crime rate. I never said St Louis wasn't as or more dangerous than Baltimore. If the murder rate is lower you have less chance of being murdered. I don't know how you can't grasp that. Toronto is much safer than Baltimore. No matter if the crime rate has gone up 200 percent or not.

I Haven't picked and choosed anything. Murder Rate and Violent Crime Rates are not picking and choosing. THese are stats the FBI uses. If you want to compare cities of different population sizes that is what you would use. Rates.

Fine. Stats. Baltimore ranks behind four other "baseball cities" in violent crime rates. Detroit, Oakland, St. Louis, Milwaukee. Ranks more or less on par with Cleveland and Kansas City. It has the same problems of any major city. And none of that is new. Baltimore wasn't some cheery place until 2015.

It's not what's keeping people away. Last year's poor play and recently increased ticket prices drove down this year's numbers. It's simply not economically easy to go to a game anymore.

Archived