Attendance

Todd-O

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I think this is just reality for 2 reasons:

1. Nats in DC. The baseball crowd there is not going to come as often and bump to 45k+ early Camden days.

2. The riots. Just a fact of life that people are scared for weeknight games after what happened last year.

I don't think it's an excuse by any means, just what I see as the primary issues.

Where are the fans???

The O's are now 15 games over... Playing the best team in the AL (record-wise) and 22,000 show???

I don't see the point about complaining about the number of fans at the game. 22000 seems like a lot to me for a Tuesday night.

Unfortunately I think this is just reality for 2 reasons:

1. Nats in DC. The baseball crowd there is not going to come as often and bump to 45k+ early Camden days.

2. The riots. Just a fact of life that people are scared for weeknight games after what happened last year.

I don't think it's an excuse by any means, just what I see as the primary issues.

1. is the reason we have MASN, so The O's recoup money there, and #2 is why I didn't head up for an O's game last year, and why my mother and step dad were very hesitant to go this year. It wasn't really the riots that kept us away, but all the shootings and violence afterwards that scared both sets of parents (Mom and dad used to live near Hopkins in the mid to late 90's, BTW.) as MD isn't really happy with people out of state bringing firearms into the state and there is no way you'd be getting a firearm into OPACY unless you're a cop. Leaving the stadium would be an issue due to the violence, as we can't afford to stay extremely close to the ballpark.

#2 is why I didn't head up for an O's game last year, and why my mother and step dad were very hesitant to go this year. It wasn't really the riots that kept us away, but all the shootings and violence afterwards that scared both sets of parents (Mom and dad used to live near Hopkins in the mid to late 90's, BTW.) as MD isn't really happy with people out of state bringing firearms into the state and there is no way you'd be getting a firearm into OPACY unless you're a cop. Leaving the stadium would be an issue due to the violence, as we can't afford to stay extremely close to the ballpark.

Your fears are your fears but they are unfounded. But this kind of attitude annoys me. Baltimore is no more dangerous then it was before the riots. People want to use the riots as an excuse for whatever reason... The riots weren't really big (if it was 1968, you'd have a point) and they were confined to certain areas. Media blew it up to something bigger. Close it actually got to Camden Yards was Lexington Market (outside of bar patrons starting stuff with peaceful protests). Leaving the Stadium excuse is lame as well. With 295 and 395 right by the Stadium you could be out of the city pretty quickly. To the point you could have stayed at hotels in Ellicot City, Glen Burnie or Linthicum Heights cause it's not like there isn't a half dozen hotels by BWI or Fort Meade.

Your fears are your fears but they are unfounded. But this kind of attitude annoys me. Baltimore is no more dangerous then it was before the riots. People want to use the riots as an excuse for whatever reason... The riots weren't really big (if it was 1968, you'd have a point) and they were confined to certain areas. Media blew it up to something bigger. Close it actually got to Camden Yards was Lexington Market (outside of bar patrons starting stuff with peaceful protests). Leaving the Stadium excuse is lame as well. With 295 and 395 right by the Stadium you could be out of the city pretty quickly. To the point you could have stayed at hotels in Ellicot City, Glen Burnie or Linthicum Heights cause it's not like there isn't a half dozen hotels by BWI or Fort Meade.

Weren't my fears, but the people around me. It's just that with all the violence that happened afterwards and not the riots themselves, what parent living in Southern VA would want to take their then 16 and 12 year old to an O's game, when the riots started near the ballpark and the city was having a murder epidemic, being the worst year in terms of murders, surpassing the then worst year in terms of murders in 1993. Keep in mind that my parents were Baltimore city residents at one point near Hopkins, one of the worst parts of town. That was the logic behind their choices last year. Now that it's a new year and everything seems to have settled down for the moment, we're heading up. Not my fear or choice, but from people who lived around/ in the city for most of their lives.

Lexington Market is where I get off the Metro.

Weren't my fears, but the people around me. It's just that with all the violence that happened afterwards and not the riots themselves, what parent living in Southern VA would want to take their then 16 and 12 year old to an O's game, when the riots started near the ballpark and the city was having a murder epidemic, being the worst year in terms of murders, surpassing the then worst year in terms of murders in 1993. Keep in mind that my parents were Baltimore city residents at one point near Hopkins, one of the worst parts of town. That was the logic behind their choices last year. Now that it's a new year and everything seems to have settled down for the moment, we're heading up. Not my fear or choice, but from people who lived around/ in the city for most of their lives.

Riots started miles and MILES out west of the stadium.

Then why did the ballpark get locked down against Boston the night the riots started? I'm just going off what I saw unfold, as my usual eye witness to local happenings up there was out of town.

The Rite-Aid that was burned, I'm not a Baltimore resident, just ride the Metro into game from the end into Lexington, where the store was burned is halfway out my train ride into the stadium. I can't remember the name of the area. After that night the riots started up everywhere.

The Rite-Aid that was burned, I'm not a Baltimore resident, just ride the Metro into game from the end into Lexington, where the store was burned is halfway out my train ride into the stadium. I can't remember the name of the area. After that night the riots started up everywhere.

I thought the rite aid was burned when all hell broke loose?

Archived