Attendance

Todd-O

A one time isolated case. The Governor stepped in with the National Guard, and order was restored.

Is this any different then the Kent State riots in DC back in the 60s or the Watts riots in NY City?

A lot of businesses and families moved out of the cities after the riots in the 60's. The '68 riots in Baltimore had a big effect on the city. City population has been on a downward spiral since then.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People are kidding themselves if they don't think the "issues" going on in the United States aren't effecting stuff like sports attendance figures in areas like Baltimore. I mean just a few weeks ago there were people blocking 83 to "protest."

This WILL keep people from traveling to Baltimore. Do I think ticket prices are more of an issue? Of course...but there are definitely people who won't come to the city in fear of roads being block during non-peaceful protests etc.

I've personally been to more games this year than any of the last 10 seasons so this isn't my thought process but it is the thought process of many.

That's my perspective too. Many I know just don't want the hassle of possible delays and some just don't want to risk the possibility of violence. One friend told me if the mayor wants to give people room to destroy, then let them have it. It's just the way it is right now.

This is an issue that has a few layers. I absolutely do think that when your square suburban mom dad and kids turn on the TV and see the city burning, either literally or figuratively it is having an effect. What people see/hear on the news every night shapes their perception of the city at large, whether it is true or not. How much of a factor is it? Who knows, but it is definitely one of the issues.

I also think the TV factor is huge. You almost have to be dirt poor to not be able to afford even a basic a flat screen HD these days. The people that would come to the games surely have the means.

The economy is another factor. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, wages have been stagnant for a while, and people are having to work more hours for the same amount of money. Or they aren't getting as many hours as they used to. That has a domino effect....less time/money....having to work harder/longer for that money.......entertainment gets cut. Ticket prices are going the opposite way...up.

Having said all that I fully expect good crowds once we get into September for the stretch run.

The violence I saw in clips from outside Pickles, looked on the smallish side to me. Maybe I am jaded due to football games in the UK having fan segregation, and seeing a few scuffles/smashed windows/chairs being thrown after games occasionally (not regularly). I didn't used to go in the 1970's but some of the footage of the hooliganism was scary.

Murder rates are always hard to gauge as they tend to be measured per capita, so like someone else said, larger cities need more murders to attain the same rate. In most cases, Baltimore included I would think, the vast majority of the crime (esp gun and murder crime) will happen in specific neighbourhoods and generally not be targeted towards Tourists/sports fans. I may be wrong I guess.

It wasn't that many years where my local city Nottingham was the 'murder capital' of the UK. The city by and large felt safe enough though. There were 'areas' of course - but the figured were skewed due to some drug wars/yardie-wars that were happening at the time.

I honestly do not believe that the riots last year are the key reason for the attendance dropping. I suspect there is a variety of reasons that are compounding the problem.

Perception that we are holding onto first place by fingertips alone

Lack of promotional offers

Weather (I know it's good now, but the start of the season was particularly bad, and people just get 'out of the habit')

Perception of high prices (Although I don't personally think they are too bad)

Absence of Natty-Boh (joke)

Perception of a violent environment may be causing *some* to stay away, but enough people will have enjoyed the ball-game experience last year, post-riots, to make that a small factor overall I would think.

How many fans have been injured or victimized attending an Orioles game? Generalities about Baltimore aside, the Inner Harbor area is heavily policed and very safe.

Like I said, I take the Metro to Lexington Market then walk down Eutaw. There are some shady looking characters there til you really get close to the stadium. But I don't feel unsafe. What scared me worse... once I saw a RAT in the street that was as big as my (fat) cat. :eek:

The violence I saw in clips from outside Pickles, looked on the smallish side to me. Maybe I am jaded due to football games in the UK having fan segregation, and seeing a few scuffles/smashed windows/chairs being thrown after games occasionally (not regularly). I didn't used to go in the 1970's but some of the footage of the hooliganism was scary.

Murder rates are always hard to gauge as they tend to be measured per capita, so like someone else said, larger cities need more murders to attain the same rate. In most cases, Baltimore included I would think, the vast majority of the crime (esp gun and murder crime) will happen in specific neighbourhoods and generally not be targeted towards Tourists/sports fans. I may be wrong I guess.

It wasn't that many years where my local city Nottingham was the 'murder capital' of the UK. The city by and large felt safe enough though. There were 'areas' of course - but the figured were skewed due to some drug wars/yardie-wars that were happening at the time.

I honestly do not believe that the riots last year are the key reason for the attendance dropping. I suspect there is a variety of reasons that are compounding the problem.

Perception that we are holding onto first place by fingertips alone

Lack of promotional offers

Weather (I know it's good now, but the start of the season was particularly bad, and people just get 'out of the habit')

Perception of high prices (Although I don't personally think they are too bad)

Absence of Natty-Boh (joke)

Perception of a violent environment may be causing *some* to stay away, but enough people will have enjoyed the ball-game experience last year, post-riots, to make that a small factor overall I would think.

The fact that a group of people were being aggressive and one was even going after a guy with a knife, small group or not, would you want your 5 or even 10 or 11 year old around that?

The fact that a group of people were being aggressive and one was even going after a guy with a knife, small group or not, would you want your 5 or even 10 or 11 year old around that?

Obviously the answer to that question is no, but violence is a possibility in any major city in the world, or frankly anywhere. Does that mean you don't do anything and be a shut in? I sure hope not.

This fear of a city stuff is kind of ridiculous. If you like baseball, go see a ballgame. If you're into the opera or a comedy show, go check that out. Take the kids, too; they'll be better for having had new experiences.

Again, not directed at you personally, (because I think I recall you saying that it wasn't you but some folks you know saying that), but those in general that are too afraid to go to a ballgame. Sorry, that was indelicate, but yeesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that the situations are not the same for several reasons, but just for the sake of comparison here are the per game attendance figures for Dodger Stadium in the years before and after the 1992 riots (which happened in April):

1989 36,354

1990 37,067

1991 41,335

1992 30,534

1993 39,141

1994 41,443

1995 38,420

It should probably be noted that the 1992 Dodgers lost 99 games.

I am not discounting that some people include safety (or lack thereof) in their decision about attending an O's game. It just seems to me like there are a range of other factors that influence attendance much more.

Archived