Juan Bell died at age 48

Why Not?

I always wondered what the backstory was with Bradley. Above-average regular, high-OBP guy, key to the '89 Orioles. Then traded after an early slump in '90 for a 32-year-old DH who hadn't even been a regular for years, then out of baseball. Injury, over-emphasis of bad defense, unappreciated walks, or something nefarious?

It sounds like he wanted a new contract and wasn't happy with the offer. The quotes say it wasn't a distraction but it almost has to have been.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1990/07/31/orioles-strike-deal-bradley-traded-for-kittle/1f47769c-aea1-4bbd-9ff2-debb57040107/

I think they also wanted to work in Anderson and Finley.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murray should have been bigger than the racism he was confronted with? That's quite a tall order. Maybe you would be able to smile and chuckle through the hatred aimed at you. I don't fault the man for keeping his mouth shut in the face of racism. He did his job to the best of his abilities -- which I cannot say of many, if not most, sportswriters who took perverse joy in trying to rip the young man apart. I am glad they failed in their efforts.

Murray went beyond keeping his mouth shut. He insulted and embarrassed reporters for sport in the locker room. This is not hearsay, but first-hand accounting. Murray was my favorite player in my key becoming-a-baseball-fan years. Hearing what he did to reporters was heartbreaking for me.

The notion that most reporters were out to take down Murray is absurd and incorrect. It's simply not based in reality.

Murray went beyond keeping his mouth shut. He insulted and embarrassed reporters for sport in the locker room. This is not hearsay, but first-hand accounting. Murray was my favorite player in my key becoming-a-baseball-fan years. Hearing what he did to reporters was heartbreaking for me.

The notion that most reporters were out to take down Murray is absurd and incorrect. It's simply not based in reality.

Murray was my favorite player as well. He was a great teammate and seemed like a good dude but he had a weird hatred for the media. It's a shame.

The stories I have heard about Murray's behavior toward reporters would surprise you.

Which one is it?

"The stories I have heard..." HEARSAY is what they call that

"This is not hearsay, but first-hand accounting." That means you were there. Are you claiming you were there and clearly witnessed the activity with your eyes and ears?

"Hearing what he did to reporters was heartbreaking for me..." HEARSAY Also, "heartbreaking?" The stories broke your heart? You must be a very tender individual. I suggest never watching kitten videos on youtube. You might die.

Which one is it?

Multiple personal conversations with people who suffered Murray's wrath. Call it hearsay if you must, but it doesn't change the reality of what occurred. I apologize if you don't like it.

Yeah, it was heartbreaking to hear that a childhood sports hero was a bit of an ass.

Archived