Juan Bell died at age 48

Why Not?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was a two-way street.

Murray had some (apparently) untrue things written about him during the 1979 World Series. After that, he became uber-sensitive to any critique from the press and basically shut down communication. He should have been bigger, more adult than that. Murray crapped all over reporters who he had never met and had never written a word about him. It went beyond surly to downright mean.

A few big voices in Baltimore media continuously crapped all over Murray. Murray "should have been bigger, more adult than that?" Eddie didn't have the power of the bully pulpit. Maybe the unathletic parasites should have been "more adult" than that. Men in their 30's, 40's and 50's reveled in making it their mission to cast Murray, 23 years old in 1979, as a pariah. If you want "downright mean," I think you can find that in the race-based criticisms of Murray.

A few big voices in Baltimore media continuously crapped all over Murray. Murray "should have been bigger, more adult than that?" Eddie didn't have the power of the bully pulpit. Maybe the unathletic parasites should have been "more adult" than that. Men in their 30's, 40's and 50's reveled in making it their mission to cast Murray, 23 years old in 1979, as a pariah. If you want "downright mean," I think you can find that in the race-based criticisms of Murray.

Edward Bennett Williams

Dick Young

Ken Rosenthal

Tom Boswell

That was a two-way street.

Murray had some (apparently) untrue things written about him during the 1979 World Series. After that, he became uber-sensitive to any critique from the press and basically shut down communication. He should have been bigger, more adult than that. Murray crapped all over reporters who he had never met and had never written a word about him. It went beyond surly to downright mean.

Why would reporters be negative about him as a ball player just because he didn't want to talk to them? I hated they traded Eddie at the time. He was the scapegoat for the terrible 1988 season. Nevermind that Cal, Boddicker, Fred Lynn and Eddie were the only decent players on that team.

Yes, Murray should have been bigger. He made sport of abusing reporters who had never written a word about him; brutal, intimidating, bullying verbal attacks. When a simple "I would rather not talk" was sufficient, he publicly embarrassed guys just trying to do a job.

Murray had some things written about him that were untrue and unflattering. But so did Cal Ripken, so has Adam Jones, so has almost every star player. The stories I have heard about Murray's behavior toward reporters would surprise you.

Agreed, it was disturbing how the media treated him, and some of the fans.

Eddie was an amazing player that some thought wasn't hustling, but he ran, he didn't look like he was putting any effort to it, but he really was moving and effortless.

In all fairness, there were times ( on routine ground outs) when Murray did not hustle to first base.

At first, fans tolerated it to a degree, the booing really started after his lack of hustle pointed out in the press.

I remember Murray getting booed loudly on a Sunday afternoon game after He pretty much walked to first on a ground out to the second baseman his last season in Baltimore.

While I think that Murray was targeted somewhat by the press, He did not do himself any favors with his lack of effort at times.

RIP Juan Bell.

Yes, Murray should have been bigger. He made sport of abusing reporters who had never written a word about him; brutal, intimidating, bullying verbal attacks. When a simple "I would rather not talk" was sufficient, he publicly embarrassed guys just trying to do a job.

Murray had some things written about him that were untrue and unflattering. But so did Cal Ripken, so has Adam Jones, so has almost every star player. The stories I have heard about Murray's behavior toward reporters would surprise you.

The big, bad black man stared at the wee wittle white guy. "He scared me and made me cry" -- so the public vendetta against him is justified. Hang him high! Reporters who never even had interaction with Murray vilified him in the press. "I would rather not talk" was essentially what Murray usually said, even when it was non-verbal.

Hearsay is a funny thing that usually gets twisted along the way. Eddie went into self-preservation mode -- and came out a Hall of Famer. The sycophants "just trying to do a job" held that against him and continued their vitriol against him.

We are all individuals, so I will not "should" Murray on how he should have acted to reporters who, without athletes' quotes, mostly were incapable of writing anything worthwhile. But I will "should not" reporters who exposed their racism when writing about Murray. They printed their "brutal, intimidating, bullying ... attacks" against Murray in ink. No hearsay there. And they knowingly fanned the flames for a lot more racist epithets hurled by sports followers.

If Murray doesn't like something, he'll give an intimidating look, like the old fight champion Sonny Liston. But sometimes he does it in jest, also like Liston. "I might be talking with a reporter, and he'll look at me with those eyes," said John Hart (then Indians' GM). "But I know he's kidding, and I crack up."
"I never had trouble interviewing him when I was a reporter for WBAL," said Curt Anderson, a former state delegate who now practices law in Baltimore. "Part of Eddie's problem was perception, the way they wrote about him and talked about him on television and on the radio. They painted him as an irascible man."

Murray should have been bigger than the racism he was confronted with? That's quite a tall order. Maybe you would be able to smile and chuckle through the hatred aimed at you. I don't fault the man for keeping his mouth shut in the face of racism. He did his job to the best of his abilities -- which I cannot say of many, if not most, sportswriters who took perverse joy in trying to rip the young man apart. I am glad they failed in their efforts.

Oy. Bell was a washout.

Brian Holton spent 1989 and 1990 pitching (badly) for Baltimore then he was out of the majors.

Ken Howell was immediately traded for Phil Bradley. Bradley was a key player in Baltimore's surprising 1989 season then was traded in 1990 for Ron Kittle. Bradley and Kittle were both out of the majors within 18 months of the trade.

Alas, the relationship with Murray was pretty well poisoned by then. He had wanted out of Baltimore for two years.

I always wondered what the backstory was with Bradley. Above-average regular, high-OBP guy, key to the '89 Orioles. Then traded after an early slump in '90 for a 32-year-old DH who hadn't even been a regular for years, then out of baseball. Injury, over-emphasis of bad defense, unappreciated walks, or something nefarious?

In all fairness, there were times ( on routine ground outs) when Murray did not hustle to first base.

At first, fans tolerated it to a degree, the booing really started after his lack of hustle pointed out in the press.

I remember Murray getting booed loudly on a Sunday afternoon game after He pretty much walked to first on a ground out to the second baseman his last season in Baltimore.

While I think that Murray was targeted somewhat by the press, He did not do himself any favors with his lack of effort at times.

RIP Juan Bell.

When you're 18 games out in May, your lifetime organization is in tatters, your owner is calling you out in the press for getting hurt when you're hitting .300 with power and plate discipline... well, it'll take a lot of greenies to channel your inner Pete Rose.

When you're 18 games out in May, your lifetime organization is in tatters, your owner is calling you out in the press for getting hurt when you're hitting .300 with power and plate discipline... well, it'll take a lot of greenies to channel your inner Pete Rose.

IMO, the reasons that you list are reasons to play harder. ( Maybe it's me, but I don't think that there is a good reason not to hustle.)

Besides, He's a professional baseball player and He is expected to exert a certain degree of effort on the field.

I don't think anybody was expecting Pete Rose, but looking back on it it was a preview of Manny Ramirez at his best/worst.

IMO, the reasons that you list are reasons to play harder. ( Maybe it's me, but I don't think that there is a good reason not to hustle.)

Besides, He's a professional baseball player and He is expected to exert a certain degree of effort on the field.

I don't think anybody was expecting Pete Rose, but looking back on it it was a preview of Manny Ramirez at his best/worst.

I think you remember Eddie very differently than I do. The issue was the O's were losing in earnest for the first time since 1950-something and the guy who wasn't Opey Cunningham/Cal Ripken to the press got the blame, instead of the management who let the farm collapse, was in denial about free agency, and filled the roster with Juan Beniquezes, Jim Trabers and Ken Gerharts.

I think you remember Eddie very differently than I do. The issue was the O's were losing in earnest for the first time since 1950-something and the guy who wasn't Opey Cunningham/Cal Ripken to the press got the blame, instead of the management who let the farm collapse, was in denial about free agency, and filled the roster with Juan Beniquezes, Jim Trabers and Ken Gerharts.

Pretty good article from 2003 from Mike Preston, Baltimore Sun.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.preston27jul27-column.html

Murray was left out, even robbed of the American League Most Valuable Player award when Ripken won it in 1983. Murray's critics will point to a day in 1987 when Murray suggested in an interview that it might be time to move on.Who could blame him?

It's one thing to be booed, another when fans insult your family and slam you with racial insults. That crosses the line.

Murray deserved better. It never should have reached that point. Basic nitpicking by an owner, media and a group of fans forced a Hall of Famer out of town.

I prefer to remember Eddie Murray as the greatest switch hitter who ever lived and who was IMO the best clutch hitter that I ever saw.

Believe me, those thoughts trump my memories of his lack of effort during this period.

I agree, however, that Murray was unfairly made out to be a scapegoat during the organization's collapse in the late 80's.

The difference between You and I is that you will make excuses for his lack of effort at times.

I don't think that there is a good excuse, particularly when the team that you are playing on is going through adverse times.

Archived