O's finalize trade for OF Michael Bourn

xian4

Ahh.. my fault, misunderstood.

Oh well, I'd rather see him then Reimold at this point.

Not your fault, my wording made it ambiguous! I'll agree about Reimold in CF--I just wish there could be a better option than Bourn. I feel like there has to be. But I'm no expert.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jason Heinrich wasn't in the Top 20; maybe not even in the Top 30.

But in an organization lacking talent, he was one of the few legit power prospects in the system.

He was not a prospect in my opinion. Saw him a few times this year plus BP and wasn't impressed. On top of it he was a below average defensive outfielder and I didn't even see BP power or anything that resembled a power prospect.

I like The Bourn Acquisition (coming soon to a theater near you!). He'll shore up the defense and strikes me as the kind of guy who could heat up for a month a la De Aza and provide more than expected. I'm not counting on him heating up in that way, just saying it could happen. I think Buck will find a way to use him to his advantage.

BP's take on our acquisitions:

[T]he Orioles snagged both halves of a moderately-useful outfield platoon in Michael Bourn and Drew Stubbs. Bourn is, weirdly, the more interesting of the two veteran outfielders, having somewhat resurrected his career in the Arizona desert this season. One might even use the phrase "Bourn-again" if one wanted to alienate his audience during a headline. (Editor's note: Sold.) Far removed from the speed-and-defense star of the early part of the decade?the player FRAA never thought he was, I might point out?the Bourn of today is an averagish defender, a slight positive on the basepaths, and a below-average hitter (.237 True Average) who puts far too many balls on the ground while at the plate.

Meanwhile, Stubbs hasn?t gotten much of a chance this season, whether with the Braves or the Rangers. In theory, he should still be able to hit left-handed pitching and fill in at all three outfield positions, and he?s hit enough in his limited action to think he can still go.....Bourn and Stubbs are likely far inferior to Hyun-Soo Kim and Nolan Reimold. These are certainly not the players the O?s want to be relying on come the latter part of the season, which is precisely why they were available. They?ll get some September reps, but these are not the guys the team hopes to see in October, if ever again.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=30269

They don't seem to grasp that defense is what motivated these acquisitions.

Uh Didn't BP know that Jones is tentative, Rickard moreso, and that we were desperate for someone who cd cover CF better than Reimold?

They don't what the Orioles. When they do, it is with disdain. They may look at a few numbers. and concoct a math calculation.

I like The Bourn Acquisition (coming soon to a theater near you!). He'll shore up the defense and strikes me as the kind of guy who could heat up for a month a la De Aza and provide more than expected. I'm not counting on him heating up in that way, just saying it could happen. I think Buck will find a way to use him to his advantage.

I hope. I wonder how soon Buck will be willing to use them as defensive subs for Kim and Trumbo? I'm thinking any lead after the 8th.

Would Alvarez be better in RF than either? Dariel.

I hope. I wonder how soon Buck will be willing to use them as defensive subs for Kim and Trumbo? I'm thinking any lead after the 8th.

Would Alvarez be better in RF than either? Dariel.

These guys are faster and get to more balls. Dariel has the better arm.

I don't know if I want to post a new thread/poll with this right now, so I'll ask it here: do you guys think this could (or should) be Jones' last year in CF? I think if there is any chance of signing a real-deal CFer, we need to consider it. Jones can shift to RF and go back to being among the best at his position. Personally, I think we should have signed Denard Span when we had the chance, but we passed. I'm not sure I'd let that type of opportunity pass us by again though.

What I don't know, however, is who is on the list of upcoming CF FAs. Ian Desmond turned out to be a pretty good option; the Rangers just had to think outside the box a little. No reason to think we couldn't do the same thing.

I don't know if I want to post a new thread/poll with this right now, so I'll ask it here: do you guys think this could (or should) be Jones' last year in CF? I think if there is any chance of signing a real-deal CFer, we need to consider it. Jones can shift to RF and go back to being among the best at his position. Personally, I think we should have signed Denard Span when we had the chance, but we passed. I'm not sure I'd let that type of opportunity pass us by again though.

What I don't know, however, is who is on the list of upcoming CF FAs. Ian Desmond turned out to be a pretty good option; the Rangers just had to think outside the box a little. No reason to think we couldn't do the same thing.

Depends on whether we could find a better defensive CF who can hit a little. If so, yes I'd consider it. But those players aren't easy to find. We certainly don't have one in our system anywhere. It's probably easier to find some corner outfielders who can take some pressure off Jones.

He was not a prospect in my opinion. Saw him a few times this year plus BP and wasn't impressed. On top of it he was a below average defensive outfielder and I didn't even see BP power or anything that resembled a power prospect.

Man, 2015 they drafted D.J. Stewart, Ryan McKenna, Jason Heinrich and Jaylen Ferguson all in the top 10 rounds. Are they even going to get one outfielder out of that group?

Man, 2015 they drafted D.J. Stewart, Ryan McKenna, Jason Heinrich and Jaylen Ferguson all in the top 10 rounds. Are they even going to get one outfielder out of that group?

They might. I've read some good things about McKenna and Ferguson on the MiL forum, and Stewart responded well to his mid season promotion, hitting better at Frederick than at Delmarva. I can't say I see any major league stars in that group, but we might get a role player or two.

Archived