Would you trade Britton?

jgjbanker

No. I wouldn't. We spent 14 years dying for a winning team, and now that we have that winning team, people want to trade away out best players for prospects. I just don't get it. You have the best closer in the game. He shortens games. He makes us a better team. No way am I giving that up for prospects who may or may not ever develop into major league contributors, I don't care how blue chip they supposedly are. You dump players for prospects when you're a bad team on the way down, like the O's from '98 - '00, or the Phillies in '12 - '13. You don't do it when you're in the middle of your contending window with a lot of good, young players, and you're coming off a year like they're having this year.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. I wouldn't. We spent 14 years dying for a winning team, and now that we have that winning team, people want to trade away out best players for prospects. I just don't get it. You have the best closer in the game. He shortens games. He makes us a better team. No way am I giving that up for prospects who may or may not ever develop into major league contributors, I don't care how blue chip they supposedly are. You dump players for prospects when you're a bad team on the way down, like the O's from '98 - '00, or the Phillies in '12 - '13. You don't do it when you're in the middle of your contending window with a lot of good, young players, and you're coming off a year like they're having this year.

It's not enough to win. You have to win in a doctrinally acceptable way. You have to spend a lot of money in free agency so the fan base knows you're committed to winning. You must always maintain a fully stocked farm system and never trade away any minor leaguer who could possibly help you in the future, no matter what level. You must always give former top prospects no less than 5 years at the major league level to give them a "fair" shot at success. You must worship at the altar of OBP, mere lip service and the odd foreign signing isn't enough. You must never lose a trade. Never ever.

Above all else - and this is the big one - no major league player can ever be kept at the expense of his maximum trade value. So you see how shallow it is to be satisfied with a positive W-L record.

;)

No. I wouldn't. We spent 14 years dying for a winning team, and now that we have that winning team, people want to trade away out best players for prospects. I just don't get it. ou have the best closer in the game. He shortens games. He makes us a better team. No way am I giving that up for prospects who may or may not ever develop into major league contributors, I don't care how blue chip they supposedly are. You dump players for prospects when you're a bad team on the way down, like the O's from '98 - '00, or the Phillies in '12 - '13. You don't do it when you're in the middle of your contending window with a lot of good, young players, and you're coming off a year like they're having this year.

It's not enough to win. You have to win in a doctrinally acceptable way. You have to spend a lot of money in free agency so the fan base knows you're committed to winning. You must always maintain a fully stocked farm system and never trade away any minor leaguer who could possibly help you in the future, no matter what level. You must always give former top prospects no less than 5 years at the major league level to give them a "fair" shot at success. You must worship at the altar of OBP, mere lip service and the odd foreign signing isn't enough. You must never lose a trade. Never ever.

Above all else - and this is the big one - no major league player can ever be kept at the expense of his maximum trade value. So you see how shallow it is to be satisfied with a positive W-L record.

;)

o

You forgot ........ you must always cater to the fans that want you to use some common sense and have a traditional approach(es) when making out the lineup card, and at the same time, cater to fans who don't want a robo-manager with no ingenuity/thinking outside of the box when making out the lineup card

Why should we presume that a 34 y/o O'Day will be healthier than a 33 y/o O'Day?

Put it this way, he has a far better chance of being healthy for the entire year next year (let alone healthier than this year) than Britton does of being perfect in saves next year.

You have two top closers on the FA market this off season, thus no one is going to give up a ton of talent for Britton, especially when his salary is about to skyrocket....only DD would do something like that! Maybe at trade deadline next year...

Obviously, if you can't get a nice haul for him, you don't trade him. But I think there are several teams that would love to have Britton.

You have two top closers on the FA market this off season, thus no one is going to give up a ton of talent for Britton, especially when his salary is about to skyrocket....only DD would do something like that! Maybe at trade deadline next year...

Great point. But Britton's salary is still somewhat reasonable. All it takes is one team that sees him (and his contract status) as a perfect fit. Who thought Kimbrell would be traded twice in two years?

Why do people think we would get this much for Britton?

Britton is on pace to have a record year at closer and is arguably the best closer in the game.

Look at what the Yankees got for Miller and the Padres got for Kimbrel. No reason not to think we could get a similar package for Britton.

No, I keep the best relief pitcher I have ever seen in my life. At least for this offseason... I could see trading him next July if the Orioles are 10 games under .500. That's basically the same scenario as when Kimbrel was traded twice within a year and when the Yanks traded their two lefty relievers.

For many players, getting a year older is a very good thing. Sadly, I don't think that will be the case for O'Day. I think Britton has a much better chance of being perfect in save opportunities next year than for O'Day to be healthy for all next season. The hip is going to derail him.

Britton's WAR of 3.5 (according to the graphic in the right margin) dramatically undervalues his actual impact on wins for the team versus a "replacement" and distorts his exceptionally high quality and dominance.

Not to mention, Britton is relatively cost-controlled for the next 2 years. What are the top free agent closers going to cost? Just a tad bit more - along with a draft choice.

He jumped from 3.2 to 6.75.

He's having a better year this year.

The top guys are making 9-11M.

He's going to be right in line with the top guys this year and possibly the most expensive intentional reliever in the game in 2018.

No, I keep the best relief pitcher I have ever seen in my life. At least for this offseason... I could see trading him next July if the Orioles are 10 games under .500. That's basically the same scenario as when Kimbrel was traded twice within a year and when the Yanks traded their two lefty relievers.

For many players, getting a year older is a very good thing. Sadly, I don't think that will be the case for O'Day. I think Britton has a much better chance of being perfect in save opportunities next year than for O'Day to be healthy for all next season. The hip is going to derail him.

Britton's WAR of 3.5 (according to the graphic in the right margin) dramatically undervalues his actual impact on wins for the team versus a "replacement" and distorts his exceptionally high quality and dominance.

Which is why I am sure Boras is going to point at his league leading WPA.

He jumped from 3.2 to 6.75.

He's having a better year this year.

The top guys are making 9-11M.

He's going to be right in line with the top guys this year and possibly the most expensive intentional reliever in the game in 2018.

Even if he would get what the top 2 free agents are going to get this offseason, he's going on 1 year contracts, and they'll be getting at least 4 years. And he's obviously better than a guy like Melanson who is almost certain to get paid more per year than Britton will with his one year deal next season.

Even if he would get what the top 2 free agents are going to get this offseason, he's going on 1 year contracts, and they'll be getting at least 4 years. And he's obviously better than a guy like Melanson who is almost certain to get paid more per year than Britton will with his one year deal next season.

I was just pointing out he really isn't "cost controlled" for the next two years. I wouldn't be shocked if his AAV goes down from 2018 to 2019.

Archived