Mark Trumbo Aims To Slug His Way To First Postseason

PressBoxOnline

For Baltimore Orioles slugger Mark Trumbo, who has tallied more than 800 career games in the majors without ever making it to the playoffs, the chance to play meaningful baseball in September is a refreshing change of pace.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/09/15/orioles-mark-trumbo-aims-to-slug-his-way-to-first-postseason

Nice write up and interview. Thanks.

For Baltimore Orioles slugger Mark Trumbo, who has tallied more than 800 career games in the majors without ever making it to the playoffs, the chance to play meaningful baseball in September is a refreshing change of pace.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/09/15/orioles-mark-trumbo-aims-to-slug-his-way-to-first-postseason

It sure will be nice for him and the rest of the team to be in the playoffs.

I was kind of shocked to realize that the Angels never went to the playoffs while Trumbo was there, and in fact, have only been to the playoffs once this decade.

Despite their payroll and star power (Trout, the Pujols signing), the Angels have been decidedly bad of late. And things aren't really looking up.

If the Orioles don't resign Trumbo, I am going to be extremely mad. Dan will lose a lot of my respect that's for sure. The Orioles need Trumbo's power just like they need Chris Davis power. When Chris is struggling at the plate it is nice to have Trumbo as a power threat. Every time Trumbo comes to the plate, I feel very confident that he is going to score some runs. Every time Chris comes to the plate, I worry about him striking out and stranding runners.

If the Orioles don't resign Trumbo' date=' I am going to be extremely mad. Dan will lose a lot of my respect that's for sure. The Orioles need Trumbo's power just like they need Chris Davis power. When Chris is struggling at the plate it is nice to have Trumbo as a power threat. Every time Trumbo comes to the plate, I feel very confident that he is going to score some runs. Every time Chris comes to the plate, I worry about him striking out and stranding runners.[/quote']

Trumbo has had a very good year with men on base (.317/.377/.639) and RISP situations (.292/.366/.562). Quite honestly, he's not likely to repeat that performance.

Trumbo has had a very good year with men on base (.317/.377/.639) and RISP situations (.292/.366/.562). Quite honestly, he's not likely to repeat that performance.

And his overall hitting has clearly been aided by Camden Yards. His OPS+ this year is good but nothing special - at 115 - his lifetime OPS+ is 111. I would definitely not mind getting Michael Saunders in free agency instead of keeping Trumbo.

And his overall hitting has clearly been aided by Camden Yards. His OPS+ this year is good but nothing special - at 115 - his lifetime OPS+ is 111. I would definitely not mind getting Michael Saunders in free agency instead of keeping Trumbo.

Has Sunders ha a hit since the All Star break? I know the Toronto fans hate him.

Has Sunders ha a hit since the All Star break? I know the Toronto fans hate him.

His OPS+ for the entire season... is better than Trumbo's, and he's a far more talented defensive player. He's been injury-prone throughout his career, but other than that - he's a better player than Trumbo.

His OPS+ for the entire season... is better than Trumbo's, and he's a far more talented defensive player. He's been injury-prone throughout his career, but other than that - he's a better player than Trumbo.

Not that Saunders is a good defender - but Trumbo's awful in RF.

Archived