Why Buck didn't pinch run for Hardy

sportsfan8703

Do you think what Bourn did against Hudson six years ago has any relevance to today? (no I didn't look up when those 12 at bats actually occurred)

Do you think either Bourn or Hudson has any recollection of those at bats? And if Hudson did, and thought it meant anything, wouldn't he pitch him completely differently making the microscopic historical record meaningless?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan Flaherty has a 1.100 OPS against Rick Porcello.

If you pick up an insanely hot player that'll be worth about 0.005 wOBA points compared to just using season or career numbers.

SSS data is meaningful more-or-less never.

You're talking about two different things. You brought up Flaherty's OPS against Porcello but then post an article about hot/cold streaks. That article you linked is about hot/cold streaks, not about batter/pitcher matchups. Batter/pitcher matchups are as important as righty/lefty matchups because they reflect the strengths and weaknesses of the given hitter and pitcher overall against certain types of pitchers/hitters.

He thinks Kim "has been bad lately" based on Sept splits, never mind that he just missed a home run the other day and had a near grand slam that went for a single.

And you think Kim hasn't been bad lately because he nearly hit a home run but didn't.

Do you think what Bourn did against Hudson six years ago has any relevance to today? (no I didn't look up when those 12 at bats actually occurred)

You're contradicting yourself somewhat. So you're suggesting that the larger sample size is misleading and that we should emphasize more the more recent numbers? If so then I more or less agree with you, but I think other things come into play like a hitter's recent performance in general, not just pitcher/hitter matchups.

You're contradicting yourself somewhat. So you're suggesting that the larger sample size is misleading and that we should emphasize more the more recent numbers? If so then I more or less agree with you, but I think other things come into play like a hitter's recent performance in general, not just pitcher/hitter matchups.

Not at all. I don't think player matchup data is useful in the majority of cases. Even if you have an in division starting pitcher that faces a team 4+ times a season you are hard pressed to accumulate enough data points to be useful after a few years. For instance Jones has 63 at bats against David Price. Is 63 at bats over nine years really telling you a lot?

So you would have went with Kim's .330/.422/.466/.887 Batting Line in 102 Plate Appearances when it is the seventh inning or later in a game?? That line is the best on the Orioles with players that have had more than 100 PA's this season from the seventh inning to end.

Good point but that's the problem with statistics. How you choose to interpret them is as important as the data itself. Kim may have great numbers after the sixth inning, but he may have poor numbers when looked at another way, like how he's hit the past month, etc.

Not at all. I don't think player matchup data is useful in the majority of cases. Even if you have an in division starting pitcher that faces a team 4+ times a season you are hard pressed to accumulate enough data points to be useful after a few years. For instance Jones has 63 at bats against David Price. Is 63 at bats over nine years really telling you a lot?

:laughlol: No, I would wait until he had 650 at bats over 90 years before I was satisfied. You've never had to work with numbers for a living, have you.

But in any case I was starting to agree with you earlier when you suggested recent data was more important. We care more about what Flaherty has done against Porcello in 2016 or maybe the past two or three years more than we care what he did 5, 6 or 7 years ago because players mature, they decline, play hurt at various times during their careers, etc.

:laughlol: No, I would only be satisfied with 650 at bats over 90 years before I was satisfied. You've never had to work with numbers for a living, have you.

Seven at bats a year, spread out over six months. Then spread that rate over nine years.

I know enough to recognize a scarcity of data points.

And I purposely picked players that should have had a lot of interaction.

Batter/pitcher matchups are as important as righty/lefty matchups because they reflect the strengths and weaknesses of the given hitter and pitcher overall against certain types of pitchers/hitters.

L/R splits are about the only ones that are really meaningful, and that's just because they're built into every baseball player - they're just part of the game. That and multi-year park effects. Other splits are essentially useless, especially batter/pitcher matchups.

L/R splits are about the only ones that are really meaningful, and that's just because they're built into every baseball player - they're just part of the game. That and multi-year park effects. Other splits are essentially useless, especially batter/pitcher matchups.

You don't like gb/fb splits?

Archived