Win tomorrow and the Jays could be on the ropes

ChuckS

Everyone should check out Jim Palmer's Twitter page tonight. Hillarious. Acting like a fan. Have to wonder if he wasn't tipping back a few!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jim22Palmer?ref_src=twsrc%5Eappleios%7Ctwcamp%5Esafari%7Ctwgr%5Eprofile

Twitter is so cancerous.

Multiple times in that timeline a regular fan calls him out with a generic "Jim Palmer is such a homer, you suck!", then Jim retweets or responds to his tweet and the response is "OMG I'm so grateful you responded, you were my favorite to watch back in the day!"

This happened multiple times. Amazing.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All Kim did tonight was possibly save our season..thats all.

Magic, magic, magic, magic. Roy, somethin' magic happens.

That was literally what went through my mind when I saw Kim hit the homer. That made me think... maybe. Maybe we (I say it like I'm on the team, of course) can do this.

Twitter is so cancerous.

Multiple times in that timeline a regular fan calls him out with a generic "Jim Palmer is such a homer, you suck!", then Jim retweets or responds to his tweet and the response is "OMG I'm so grateful you responded, you were my favorite to watch back in the day!"

Plus, Palmer is anything but a homer. He might be a fan on Twitter, but his broadcasting, etc., is superb and balanced for the most part, IMO. Palmer rules. No one - and I mean no one - should ever speak against Cakes.

Twitter is so cancerous.

Twitter can be a dumpster fire especially with baseball talk. Yeah, there was a guy ragging on Palmer during the Boston series that made me weep for humanity. Twitter and comment sections of news stories are the great equalizer, making people think they're as qualified as Jim Palmer.

Plus, Palmer is anything but a homer. He might be a fan on Twitter, but his broadcasting, etc., is superb and balanced for the most part, IMO. Palmer rules. No one - and I mean no one - should ever speak against Cakes.

Pretty sure I've made this point before, but there are two kinds of "homer" (maybe more) that can get confused in discussions of game announcers.

The first is the announcer who is open about rooting for the team that employs him. As long as it's not over the top (like Ken Harrelson), that doesn't bother me. I think every announcer wants to see the team he works for, and the guys he travels with and sees play every day, be successful on the field individually and as a team. So having that brought out in the open from time to time is just being honest as far as I'm concerned. I'd be disappointed if my team's announcers didn't get excited by Kim's HR last night (as Bordick didn't seem to be).

The second kind of homer is the announcer who describes the game he sees and evaluates players and plays in a way that's tilted in favor of and can't find fault with his employer's team and its players: our guys can't catch a break, if that ball had been just an inch higher, the umpires (and replay umpires) screw us every time, our .220 hitters are really dangerous hitters who have been swinging the bat real well and are about to break out. In other words, Mike Bordick. In my experience, every team-hired announcer demonstrates this kind of homerism from time to time; I guess that's just human nature. But when it gets extreme or obvious, it really affects my enjoyment of the game -- although if it really gets over the top (like the NYY radio announcers) it can add a touch of humor.

The two kinds of homerism tend to go together. But they don't have to. As posters on this board prove on a 24/7 basis, you can root for a team and be critical of practically every on it or associated with it. IMO, Palmer is the first kind of homer and that doesn't bother me a bit, but shows very little homerism of the second sort. Again IMO, that's one of the reasons he's such a terrific announcer.

Pretty sure I've made this point before, but there are two kinds of "homer" (maybe more) that can get confused in discussions of game announcers.

The first is the announcer who is open about rooting for the team that employs him. As long as it's not over the top (like Ken Harrelson), that doesn't bother me. I think every announcer wants to see the team he works for, and the guys he travels with and sees play every day, be successful on the field individually and as a team. So having that brought out in the open from time to time is just being honest as far as I'm concerned. I'd be disappointed if my team's announcers didn't get excited by Kim's HR last night (as Bordick didn't seem to be).

The second kind of homer is the announcer who describes the game he sees and evaluates players and plays in a way that's tilted in favor of and can't find fault with his employer's team and its players: our guys can't catch a break, if that ball had been just an inch higher, the umpires (and replay umpires) screw us every time, our .220 hitters are really dangerous hitters who have been swinging the bat real well and are about to break out. In other words, Mike Bordick. In my experience, every team-hired announcer demonstrates this kind of homerism from time to time; I guess that's just human nature. But when it gets extreme or obvious, it really affects my enjoyment of the game -- although if it really gets over the top (like the NYY radio announcers) it can add a touch of humor.

The two kinds of homerism tend to go together. But they don't have to. As posters on this board prove on a 24/7 basis, you can root for a team and be critical of practically every on it or associated with it. IMO, Palmer is the first kind of homer and that doesn't bother me a bit, but shows very little homerism of the second sort. Again IMO, that's one of the reasons he's such a terrific announcer.

Perfect breakdown of the homerism breed. To me, Hunter is the wrong kind of homer in that way. I can tolerate him now, for some reason (didn't used to be able to). But he has this weird pleaser thing going on when it comes to the team's "party line" etc.

Bordick... even after all these years... remains mediocre. He's much better than when he started, but I think this is is - he's peaking, and it's not a very high peak. Likable guy, for sure. And smart. But... kinda boring.

Angel is somewhere in the middle, for me. Although I cannot stand his play-by-play. He's a color guy - and that's it. If you listen to an Angel-called game and come in mid-inning, you'll never know who's pitching. It's always... "and there's the pitch..." from no one in particular. Maddening.

I think Ubaldo is about to take everyone by surprise. General vibe I get around the league is laughter that we're still relying on Ubaldo in big games. I know he's been pitching well, but I can feel a big statement game coming. Just a hunch.

I would never bet on Ubaldo, because he can turn into a pumpkin extremely quickly due to his awful mechanics. But since joining the rotation:

2.85 ERA .186/.244/.317 - .561 OPS in 6 starts and 41 IP. 10 BB and 27 H for a 0.902 WHIP. SO/9 is 7.2, BB/9 is 2.2 (which is incredibly important). HR/9 is 1.1.

He's been nails.

But I still never trust him. Especially not in Toronto. He has the yips there.

His numbers are terrible in Toronto: .313/.414/.590 - 1.005 OPS in 20 1/3 IP career...for a low, low ERA of 8.41 and a WHIP of 2.016.

My only hope is that the Blue Jays feel their back is up against the wall and they turn into the O's hitters and get overly aggressive and put up goose eggs.

I think Ubaldo is about to take everyone by surprise. General vibe I get around the league is laughter that we're still relying on Ubaldo in big games. I know he's been pitching well, but I can feel a big statement game coming. Just a hunch.

Well called, sir. I never would have gone on record with that prediction. He was masterful. Didn't try to overpower but just had them off balance all night. Walked a few guys but spread them out. Seemed like the command was there.

Archived