Hart

Givens

Brach

O'Day

Britton

Miley

Hunter

Worley

Looking at this, I just realized: Getting Bourn was a more important move than I thought. Not only does it strengthen your outfield defense considerably.

It also strengthens your bench, big time, because now you have Pedro coming off the bench with the lefty power bat instead of DH'ing every night. That's one move that did about three great things for you.

I have to go polish my little DD statue now and put some food in front of it.

For the WC:

Wieters

Davis

School

Hardy

Manny

Kim

Jones

Bourn

Trumbo

Tillman

Britton

Brach

Givens

Hart

O'Day

Bundy

Worley

Hunter

Duensing

Joseph

Flaherty

Alvarez

Stubbs

Mancini

Janish

I agree with this. I think I might sub Miley in for Janish if Buck felt he could be used in a LOOGY role on 3 days rest. Toronto only has a few lefties (Saunders, Carrera, Goins) and a pair of switch hitters (Navarro, Smoak) so its not a big deal. However, if the game is turned over to the BP early, three lefties (excluding Zach) would allow us to match up at any time or even burn a lefty just to force a better regular out of the game (like Saunders for Upton).

That's nitpicking though because there is not much difference between a third lefty reliever/tenth overall reliever versus a 2nd UTI IF/sixth bench player. Definitely agree that there is no reason to carry Ubaldo. He's not someone you want to bring out of the pen so he would only be there in case Tilly was injured during warm ups. This roster covers for that a little bit because Bundy could start in an emergency. Bundy can (and should) also be ready to go at anytime if Tillman doesn't have it.

It makes little sense to carry more than eight or nine pitchers for a one-game playoff. It's very unlikely a team will need to use 10 or more pitchers in a game. They only need to carry eight or nine pitchers and have as many position players off the bench as possible. This is what I do.

Pitchers

Ubaldo or Tillman

Bundy

O'Day

Britton

Brach

Givens

Hart

Duensing

Hunter

Position Players

Jones

Kim

Machado

P. Alvarez

Wieters

Joseph

Stubbs

Davis

Bourn

Reimold

Trumbo

Hardy

Schoop

Flaherty

Janish

Mancini

The only thing about the post above is that if you go to Bundy early, you don't have guys who could go multiple innings in case the game is like the Giants/Nats in 2014. I'd have the other of the Tillman/Ubaldo decision as my 25th man. I believe that's the better choice than a seventh position player off the bench. Especially in the AL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes little sense to carry more than eight or nine pitchers for a one-game playoff. It's very unlikely a team will need to use 10 or more pitchers in a game. They only need to carry eight or nine pitchers and have as many position players off the bench as possible. This is what I do.

Pitchers

Ubaldo or Tillman

Bundy

O'Day

Britton

Brach

Givens

Hart

Duensing

Hunter

Position Players

Jones

Kim

Machado

P. Alvarez

Wieters

Joseph

Stubbs

Davis

Bourn

Reimold

Trumbo

Hardy

Schoop

Flaherty

Janish

Mancini

I don't like your list. Why in God's name would we need Janish and Flaherty?

I want an extra guy who can go length. The game is much more likely to get 15 innings where we need more innings than it is for us to need both Janish and Flaherty.

I mean Alvarez can play IF. Hell if it came to it, Givens could play 2b is there was a collision that took out Hardy and Schoop.

No need for both Janish and Flaherty. It's a disgrace that you don't have Worley on there. He has a low 3 ERA and has earned a spot.

I don't like your list. Why in God's name would we need Janish and Flaherty?

I want an extra guy who can go length. The game is much more likely to get 15 innings where we need more innings than it is for us to need both Janish and Flaherty.

I mean Alvarez can play IF. Hell if it came to it, Givens could play 2b is there was a collision that took out Hardy and Schoop.

No need for both Janish and Flaherty. It's a disgrace that you don't have Worley on there. He has a low 3 ERA and has earned a spot.

What anyone did in the regular season means literally nothing for the WC game. It's all about what's better for the team for a one-game playoff situation. Vance deserves nothing more or less than his paycheck.

I think TINSTAAPP's roster probably has one position player too many, yes, but given that we've only got to survive a single game it's worthwhile to have extra guys on the bench for defensive replacements/pinch runners/whatever we need.

You don't want Alvarez in the field, at all. He's a pinch hitter at best in this game.

The 25-man depends some on if it is Liriano getting the start. If so, I'd take Mancini, otherwise I wouldn't.

As for the pitchers, I think you have the starter (Tillman/Jimenez) and then you take a couple guys that can give you length if needed, my picks are Bundy and Worley. After that, I want the best match up guys. Obviously, O'Day, Brach and Britton go, then you have Givens for right-handed match ups and Hart for left. I'd throw in Hunter and Duensing for the same splits. I might also go with Drake or Wilson to give the team a bit more insurance in case the game goes deep into extra innings. That would leave about 14 spots for position players. I that case, I'd take (assuming a LHP starts):

C- Matt Wieters

C- Caleb Joseph

C- Francisco Pena

1B- Chris Davis

1B- Trey Mancini

1B/OF- Mark Trumbo

2B- Jonathan Schoop

SS- J.J. Hardy

3B- Manny Machado

INF- Ryan Flaherty

OF- Hyun-Soo Kim

OF- Adam Jones

OF- Michael Bourn

DH- Pedro Alvarez

If I don't take the extra arm (Wilson/Drake), then I add in Drew Stubbs for a bit more speed as a pinch runner, particularly since I've taken a third catcher to allow me to PR for Wieters should the situation dictate.

Archived