Orioles game will start at 7:30 on Sunday if they make it

Going Underground

I have to say, why would MLB not schedule the game for the last possible spot in the event it is the Orioles that make it? Either they are thumbing their noses at the Orioles or they just don't think they'll make it. I'm not sure that's sufficient time to clear the lots. Maybe they cleared it, but it seems terribly tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say, why would MLB not schedule the game for the last possible spot in the event it is the Orioles that make it? Either they are thumbing their noses at the Orioles or they just don't think they'll make it. I'm not sure that's sufficient time to clear the lots. Maybe they cleared it, but it seems terribly tight.

They gave them the late game Light Rail lots should be packed .Light Rail ends on Sunday at 8.The last time this happened they lined up trains at the end of the game.Not a great experience

Um, has the stadium complex ever handled the O's and Ravens hosting games on the same day?

This was in the Sun article...

The first time the Ravens and Orioles both played at the downtown stadiums was Sept. 3, 1999, when the Ravens kicked off a preseason game at noon and the Orioles played at 7 that night.

I would expect a bigger crowd for both events on Sunday (assuming they both happen). It's a shorter window too. Don't know if there are other examples. I guess it is theoretically possible.

This was in the Sun article...

I would expect a bigger crowd for both events on Sunday (assuming they both happen). It's a shorter window too. Don't know if there are other examples. I guess it is theoretically possible.

I went to both games in 2001. It was Labor Day weekend Friday, we got to the Ravens game late due to traffic. Of course it was a pre season game so I really didn't care. I think this Orioles beat that mighty 01 Mariners team.

I have a vague recollection of the 99 games but didn't attend those games.

The best thing would be for the NFL to move the Ravens game up an hour but I have a better chance of winning the lottery.

This reminds of the 2013 controversy with the Ravens opening on the road. One thing is, it is better for the football game to be played first, only so long will a regular season NFL game last. Also a key is this is on the weekend. No work traffic like there would be on a Thursday.

This is magnitudes more complicated than the Ravens-Orioles fiasco a few years ago. That was a Thursday night game when the O's were realistically eliminated from playoff contention. This is (potentially) an NFL game and a PLAYOFF baseball game within a few hours of each other. That's ~120k people. There will be a few crossovers but it'd be generous to say there'd be even 10k of those.

Your memory of the 2013 schedule conflict is a little off. First, that issue came up before the baseball season even started, it's not like anyone knew if the game would be important or not. Second, when the baseball game actually was played six months later, the O's were 4 games out of the 2nd wild card with 24 games to play, so I would not say they were realistically out of it then.

Because MLB playoff schedule is done before hand. This year just happens to suck for parking. Odds are the game will be rained out anyways or NFL might move up the game to Saturday because of weather.

Here's a weird thought.

For nearly three decades, the Orioles were the only major league baseball team in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. The Nationals put an end to that in 2005, but there's a significant portion of people in the DC Metro area (especially east of the Potomac) who stayed loyal to the Orioles, or at least kept following them as their AL team. When it comes to football, a lot of those same people follow the Redskins (as a Southern Maryland native, I'm a minority in that I never took to the Redskins and instead waited it out for the Ravens, but most of my friends my age were O's/Redskins fans as those were the only football and baseball teams growing up).

So the Ravens face the Redskins at 1:00, and if they advance, the O's play at 7:30. It's quite possible you'll have both Ravens and Redskins fans going into M&T Stadium wearing opposing colors, and then going into Oriole Park later that evening all wearing the same colors. They could be trash talking one another in the afternoon, and then high-fiving one another at night. Wild and crazy, don't you think?

I don't know why MLB doesn't stagger the start times for games to start every three hours instead of having two games start one hour apart like the Red Sox/Indians and Dodgers/Nationals on Friday. If I had it my way, the Red Sox/Indians would be the first game starting at noon, WC Winner/Rangers would start at 3 PM, Dodgers/Nationals would start at 6 PM and Cubs/WC winner would start at 9 PM. Each game deserves the whole spotlight of baseball on them instead of attention being divided between two games.

I'm OK with having individualized games on a Saturday or Sunday, but I'd rather they just put the games in their intended prime-time slots and stagger them by timezones to the best of their ability. I don?t really mind the overlap. For the first round, don?t kid yourself into thinking that there?s some national fascination with everybody needing to watch every single game. I think that in the ALDS and NLDS its still pretty much home team interest. As such, try to optimize the times so that the home and secondary markets are able to watch them live.

Assuming 1 west coast game:

6-7-8:30(9:30 if its central zone)-10:30

Assuming 2 west coast games:

7-8-10-11

In the NBA, they use some local TV to cover the first round. Its not the end of the world. They could easily cover some of the games with MLB network and local network channels. To be honest, I would kill for a pro sports league to actually do whip around coverage for early play-off games too.

Because MLB playoff schedule is done before hand. This year just happens to suck for parking. Odds are the game will be rained out anyways or NFL might move up the game to Saturday because of weather.

Looks like if we do get anything and a big if ,most would be on Saturday into Sunday morning. Might be far enough east so we just get some rain brands. We shall see as the week progresses. May get nothing west of the I-95 corridor.

Archived