Joe Saunders Reflects On 2012 AL Wild Card Game

PressBoxOnline

Joe Saunders recalls being "really, really nervous" before starting the 2012 AL Wild Card game for the Orioles, and he offered some advice for 2016 AL Wild Card starter Chris Tillman.

"What I would tell him is just don't even think about it before the game. And then once you get out there, man, just -- you've pitched against these guys, try to remember the success you've had on different pitches with different hitters and just go out there and literally give it everything you've got.'"

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/10/04/joe-saunders-reflects-on-orioles-2012-al-wild-card-game

That game was something special. Not heart stopping dramatic, but the adrenaline rush I had before, during and after that game was tremendous.

We had made it to the playoffs after 14 straight awful losing seasons. Given that the team had an upside down run-differential most of the year, the prevailing wisdom among many non-Orioles fans was that we were a fluke.

I remember being a mixed bag of emotions in the run-up to the game. I was thrilled our losing season streak was behind us and the fact we were in the postseason was almost surreal. But I felt if we lost and were literally one-and-done, it would feel a sudden emotional letdown after having been built up all season. I still figured that the World Series was a long shot, but damn it if I didn't want to at least make it to the ALDS.

And I wanted our guys to be able to celebrate something on the field. I remember we were all set to celebrate clinching a playoff spot at home and the players were all sitting out on the field watching the Rangers play the Angels (who were the last team behind us) but the Rangers blew a late lead and the O's had to fly off to Tampa Bay that night. They eventually secured a spot that night but were actually mid-flight when it happened, and there was a small fire on their plane and they had to make an emergency landing. But there was no on the field celebration, no champagne in the locker room. I wanted that moment for our guys.

I also wanted our fans to host a postseason game at home. I wanted to see national television beam into Oriole Park in October once again and the attention of the baseball world to be on Baltimore, just as it had been for so many times during the Orioles glory days. I wanted an electric home atmosphere for our fans.

So when David Murphy flew out to Nate McClouth that night, there was just a sense of huge jubilation and pride in our guys that felt so damn good.

By around 2010, I became convinced that I probably would never see the Orioles in a playoff game again.

I watched the Joe Saunders game, without much optimism, in a NYC bar with a noisy, lively group of O's fans. I left very happy and was walking toward the bus that would take me home when tears started streaming down my face. I guess was happier than I knew. Thanks, Joe, for helping to get this run started.

I flew to Texas for this game and it is still easily my favorite live sporting event I've been to. As great as the first home playoff win in 14 years, Delmon's double, and other games (ie. final day of the 2011 season) were, I have never had a live event experience anywhere close to that. It sounds cliched but the whole thing - including Saunders' performance - was just so surreal but so great. It was such a cathartic experience to stand behind the visitor's dugout after the game just cheering and going nuts.

I flew to Texas for this game and it is still easily my favorite live sporting event I've been to. As great as the first home playoff win in 14 years, Delmon's double, and other games (ie. final day of the 2011 season) were, I have never had a live event experience anywhere close to that. It sounds cliched but the whole thing - including Saunders' performance - was just so surreal but so great. It was such a cathartic experience to stand behind the visitor's dugout after the game just cheering and going nuts.

My son and I drove up from Austin for the game. It was the first time the O's were in the playoffs in his 12 years on earth. Was not going to miss the chance. What a great time we had!

I drove down to Baltimore with whole family, (including dogs), from Massachusetts knowing that they would win this game so I could see my first playoff game live in division series. I was not disappointed. Had a great time watching at the bar.

Everything about that game was so special. The first WC game. I's first playoff game in 15 years. All the Orioles Magic that happened at the end of the year. 2012 Orioles might be my favorite sports team ever.

Also, this happened not long before the game.

http://deadspin.com/5942850/manny-machado-faked-out-the-orioles-announcers-camera-crew-26076-fans-and-one-tampa-bay-ray?trending_test_e&utm_expid=66866090-62.YkETBcIMTk2uX1oytHipyg.5&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Everything about that game was so special. The first WC game. I's first playoff game in 15 years. All the Orioles Magic that happened at the end of the year. 2012 Orioles might be my favorite sports team ever.

The 2012 Orioles are the only team I was legitimately emotional about. Like full on emotional. I have never felt anything close to that about any sports team before or since. Sure I'm a die hard fan, but it just isn't the same feeling.

The 2012 Orioles are the only team I was legitimately emotional about. Like full on emotional. I have never felt anything close to that about any sports team before or since. Sure I'm a die hard fan, but it just isn't the same feeling.

Same here, except I'd add Auburn 2010 and 2013. I'll fight anyone who downplays the Camback and Kick 6.

By around 2010, I became convinced that I probably would never see the Orioles in a playoff game again.

I watched the Joe Saunders game, without much optimism, in a NYC bar with a noisy, lively group of O's fans. I left very happy and was walking toward the bus that would take me home when tears started streaming down my face. I guess was happier than I knew. Thanks, Joe, for helping to get this run started.

Yeah, that was pretty much me, except the bar was in the rural midwest. I called my brother and we were both pretty much speechless. I had pretty much become numb to baseball after 14 years of losing but the emotion just came flooding back.

Archived