Was last night Matt Wieters last game as an O?

Todd-O

Buck treats Wieters like his illegitimate son. If he IS NOT back it won't be from Buck not using every bit of internal capital he has. I think Weiters is like Hunter in that his value in the clubhouse and to his teamates is not easily seen by the public.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sisco hasn't played 1 big league career and you are already ready to anoint him the job?

I think what the OP meant was, the Orioles are not going to tie up alot of salary in an expensive FA catcher for several years because they don't want to block Sisco and they want to see if he can handle the job. Obviously it's in their best interest to have a young cheap catcher for the next 5 seasons as opposed to an older expensive one. If Sisco can't do the job you assume they will have to reassess. It's worth a shot though. Unless Wieters is willing to sign another 1 year deal.

I agree. I think a QO makes more sense this offseason than it did last, and I was ok with it then.

I agree as well. A one year contract for Wieters is a win even for a lot of money, especially with Sisco's position and uncertainty. I'm not sure why so many are dismissive of a QO.

I agree as well. A one year contract for Wieters is a win even for a lot of money, especially with Sisco's position and uncertainty. I'm not sure why so many are dismissive of a QO.

Well we differ there. I'd be offering it in hopes he turns it down.

I am all in on offering the QO to Matt Wieters. If he acepts the QO, you play him until somebody needs a catcher because of injury and trade him. I also think that Caleb would be fine with STEADY work. He had one part of the season in which he played in five games in a row and showed what he is capable of at that time (.412/.444/.412/.856). I also fine nothing wrong with Pena being the backup catcher.

I think what the OP meant was' date=' the Orioles are not going to tie up alot of salary in an expensive FA catcher for several years because they don't want to block Sisco and they want to see if he can handle the job. Obviously it's in their best interest to have a young cheap catcher for the next 5 seasons as opposed to an older expensive one. If Sisco can't do the job you assume they will have to reassess. It's worth a shot though. Unless Wieters is willing to sign another 1 year deal.[/quote']

I don't think you make contract decisions based on development of prospects who aren't nearly sure things. Unless you're a team like the 2007 Orioles.

If we do indeed offer him the QO and he accepts again would that be the last time we could do that with him? Or can you QO a guy as many times as you want?

I don't know this for sure but I would think we could QO him forever if we wanted to. Like an expensive Reserve Clause. Comes down to economics this year, next year, next year...

Archived