Why not Davis in right field... to make room for Mancini?

Bradysburns

It seems like moving Davis to right and making space for Mancini could make sense, if Mancini pushes for a spot in spring training.

Is such a move even possible? Or is Mancini hopelessly blocked unless he wants to play DH?

I have heard (on the Internet machine) that Davis doesn't want to play right, period. Any substance to that?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like moving Davis to right and making space for Mancini could make sense, if Mancini pushes for a spot in spring training.

Is such a move even possible? Or is Mancini hopelessly blocked unless he wants to play DH?

I have heard (on the Internet machine) that Davis doesn't want to play right, period. Any substance to that?

It would have the same results with Trumbo in RF this year. That and Davis' glove in RF was amazing this year.

Who is blocking Mancini at DH?

If Kim and Pedro are your plan, then you should move Mancini for RF or SP help. The kid is ready.

I don't think we'd get value for Mancini. They would be better off DHing him and let him put MLB numbers and then move him.

I kind of see some sense in moving Davis to RF and playing him at 1B. That would ge finding room for the pieces we have. I'm not sure how bad Mancin is defensively but in past years Davis really wasn't graded high at 1B by the national people.

As far as the outfield if they can keep Bourn cheap and go with Rickard and Kim you probably on need 1 more of. If they truly are out of dough that's probably the best we dan hope for.

I don't see how we have a spot in the rotation with Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, and With both of Gallardo and Jiminez still on the roster.

I don't think we'd get value for Mancini. They would be better off DHing him and let him put MLB numbers and then move him.

I kind of see some sense in moving Davis to RF and playing him at 1B. That would ge finding room for the pieces we have. I'm not sure how bad Mancin is defensively but in past years Davis really wasn't graded high at 1B by the national people.

As far as the outfield if they can keep Bourn cheap and go with Rickard and Kim you probably on need 1 more of. If they truly are out of dough that's probably the best we dan hope for.

I don't see how we have a spot in the rotation with Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, and With both of Gallardo and Jiminez still on the roster.

Michael Bourn is not a starting quality outfielder.

Why take a GG caliber 1B and play him in the OF where he would be league average at best to make room for an unproven rookie who's 1B defense is questionable?

Why? First, the difference between his defensive play at first and in right isn't exactly the Grand Canyon, as you seem to suggest. I believe he could play an above-average right if given the chance, and he's extremely athletic and he has a cannon arm. So what good is that doing at first base? So you utilize that asset more efficiently.

In looking at his statistics in right, by some measures he has been better there than at first. I'm not a stat guy, but a cursory glance tells me he could play right at a high level. I'm talking about stuff like fielding percentage and Rtot/year, which is 2015 was equal for 1B and RF (and he played decent amount of RF last season). His fielding percentage has been consistently above league average in right.

It would also solve a roster issue. I'm tired of people waiting for Mancini to begin walking on water before we give him a chance on the big league roster. What's going to happen is we'll trade him, a la Jake Arrieta. And he'll go somewhere and become a star. And people will be properly upset.

Don't want to see that happen.

Also, I think we could use a boost in team OBP, which Mancini could bring, and we could use a youth/energy injection as well.

I agree 100% - and I don't even want to get value for him at this point. I'd rather bring him up for a year or two and see if he can be a quality MLB player. Look at Boston and their young stars. It took some time for them to adjust to the MLB level and become that good. But then again, Boston seems to have a longer view in mind than we do sometimes. Not that I'm complaining. I love the job DD has done overall.

But don't bring up Mancini and if he doesn't rake the first year just toss him. Be patient if we really believe in him. If I'm ignorant of some fatal flaw(s), then maybe they should dump him. But I haven't heard much along those lines.

Archived