Uh Oh - "Apres nous le deluge"

weams

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the original theory is correct. The television set is going away folks. Maybe not wide screens, but they will be using Playstation consoles and other such things.

While there is some truth to this. Television isn't going away, rather it's how TV shows (and sports) are watched is changing. Still need a TV to use your Playstation vue, you still need cable or fiber internet which comes from Cable companies (or companies that have subsidiary like Verizon or AT&T or Google). Viewership can still be measured if you are watching it on your Playstation, Tablet, PC or Cell as you have to connect to the network of CBS, NBC, FOX or ESPN to watch the NFL game.

For me it's my third sport, after baseball and college basketball. I used to care a lot, but lost interest about 20 years ago, not because the sport got worse, but I got busy on Sunday afternoons with little league baseball and some other reasons. I still watch parts of games during the season and most of the late round playoffs. But I certainly don't plan my weekends around it, it's just a way to pass time if nothing else is going on.

College basketball is quickly becoming a close third for me. I do like my Terps!

I wonder if the same is true for college football?

Personally I've always been a big NFL fan, but the last few years not so much.

It seems like there is a replay challenge on every play.....the commentators sound

like trial attorneys debating "irrefutable visual evidence," and bringing in rules experts

to consult. It just takes all the spontaneity out of the game and it's sooo slow. That and

the ridiculous penalties, plus the whole fantasy football thing, the NFL just ain't what

it used to be. I don't even really have a college team to root for, but watch way more college

than NFL now. I don't buy the election thing, who the hell can watch that for three hours?

My view of football may be biased because I live in a big university town (university is big, not necessarily the town), but it seems to me that college football has done a good job of marketing itself and has increased in popularity while the NFL has gotten pretty stale. Personally I find pro football pretty boring. The players are faster and stronger but the average NFL quarterback routinely misses throws, etc. if I have to watch sloppy execution then I prefer the more emotional college game.

I wonder if the same is true for college football?

Personally I've always been a big NFL fan, but the last few years not so much.

It seems like there is a replay challenge on every play.....the commentators sound

like trial attorneys debating "irrefutable visual evidence," and bringing in rules experts

to consult. It just takes all the spontaneity out of the game and it's sooo slow. That and

the ridiculous penalties, plus the whole fantasy football thing, the NFL just ain't what

it used to be. I don't even really have a college team to root for, but watch way more college

than NFL now. I don't buy the election thing, who the hell can watch that for three hours?

This is a good point! They need to do something about the offensive holding call especially. It gets called way too often IMO. Sure if a defensive lineman gets by a guy and he grabs him throw the flag. But if an offensive lineman overpowers someone and throws him down. They should just let it be.

Either that or make it a 5 yard penalty and not a 10.

Anyone who believes Cowherd must be willing to strain credulity. But he does have a radio show so....

Football? I played one full season in HS and our team won the city championship. The Aggies are good this year. I used to like watching Manning on the Colts.

Anyone who believes Cowherd must be willing to strain credulity. But he does have a radio show so....

Football? I played one full season in HS and our team won the city championship. The Aggies are good this year. I used to like watching Manning on the Colts.

Walter Payton for me. Bert Jones too. i guess a young man's drinking sport. Also if you gamble...

Walter Payton for me. Burt Jones too. i guess a young man's drinking sport. Also if you gamble...

Bert Jones had a cannon for an arm. Sayers was a little before my time but he was as an exciting a player as any of the players today, Barry Sanders was pretty close.

Read a few weeks back that college football ratings were not down like the NFL's.

Bottomline is the product on the field this year just isn't very good.

• Uneventful matchups.
  • High profile players retiring/injured/suspended.
  • Things not related to football dominating the headlines.
    - The Kaepernick thing has taken over the sport and its obnoxious.
    - The League is making a farce of its own rules (excessive celebration.)

I was watching the Skins game earlier and after someone scored a TD he casually shot the ball over the crossbar. This apparently warrants a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty now. I turned the TV off and never went back.

Of those who have cooled on football, have health risks been a factor?

I never was much of a football fan, but injuries were never a factor. Football is just an incredibly boring sport to watch unless you're in the stands, half smashed and it's a serious college rivalry. Even moving to SEC world hasn't done anything to move the needle for me. I think I'd rather watch curling on TV.

Archived