We will be seeing a lot of lot Chris Sale (traded to the Red Sox)

xian4

1 minute ago, Moondoggie said:

So he had a nice OPS in AA. It's still AA. Do we know he can hit a big league curve ball? Small sample size, but his OPS in the majors was .513. He struck out 12 times in 19 at bats. And that's the point. We have no idea how good he might be. Now I'm not a scout and I didn't watch him in the minor leagues, but when I watched him play in the big leagues he looked seriously overmatched. He was clueless against breaking pitches. Maybe he'll overcome that and become a Hall of Fame hitter someday. But until I actually see him hit big league curve balls with some consistency, I'm tempering my expectations. And I'm taking Chris Sale every single time.

Nineteen at bats.  Nineteen.

How many of those did you see?  How many curve balls were thrown?

He might be the top position prospect right now.  He is almost certainly in the top three.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might be the top position prospect right now.  He is almost certainly in the top three.

LH SP with Sale's resume and skillset do not grow on trees.

It's a classic high risk/high reward deal involving some big names on both sides. You have three years of a proven Cy Young candidate, versus 6 years of an unproven prospect that could be the next Manny. Nobody can say who will come out ahead until 6 years from now. Right now it is a great deal for both teams.

Now is a good time to tell ourselves this won't work out. How many people will look back at posts from December to call out posters on such a topic?

It might not end up as great as Boston hopes, but I sure would like to have Chris Sale on our team, that's for sure.

Now, we just need to go get Granderson. He'll solve our problems against LH pitchers! 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just bolded the key word here -- prospect. He's a prospect. Travis Snider was a top five prospect. How did that work out?

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I need a drink.  I work in an office in Connecticut.  Most of my friends and colleagues are big baseball fans as well. All I have heard today.

Bring on the Cubs!

Moncada wasn't anything to give up, he can't hit the curve.

Kopech was okay but his arm is going to fall off.

Dubon was a fringe prospect.

Thornburg may be better than Britton and if not is certainly better than anyone else the Orioles can throw out there.

Serenity Now!

24 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Now is a good time to tell ourselves this won't work out. How many people will look back at posts from December to call out posters on such a topic?

It might not end up as great as Boston hopes, but I sure would like to have Chris Sale on our team, that's for sure.

Now, we just need to go get Granderson. He'll solve our problems against LH pitchers! 

092116-trey-mancini.vadapt.980.high.52.j

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

At 21.  Funny how you left off the part about the 379 OBP and 531 slugging (910 OPS).

Yes Moncada could flame out, and Sale's arm could finally explode into a thousand shards.

Give me the 6+ years of price controlled position player over 3 years of a starting pitcher with a reasonable contract

That is leaving off the fact that the Red Sox also gave up a very nice pitching prospect and two other pieces.

I would prefer Sale to Moncada, but throw in the other three and I feel Boston gave up quite a lot to get Sale.    They're in win now mode, and rightfully so.

Archived