Would trading Mancini be the best option now?

mdbdotcom

Trey Mancini will not be a starter for the Orioles until 2020 (if ever), unless either Davis or Trumbo suffers a major injury or severe decline. A case could be made that Trumbo could play RF vs. LH starters, but then we'd be back to having a mine field out there.

Does it make the most sense to trade Mancini now, while he is coming off a stellar MLB debut? If you think so, then what kind of return do you think he could bring, on his own or packaged with another prospect?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mancini's trade value isn't that high.  I'd keep him at Norfolk for insurance and hope that he continues to hit well there.   Another good season at the AAA level could make him more appealing to other teams.    I'm guessing he's always going to be more of a bench guy than an everyday starter.

15 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

He doesn't have value to bring back anything of consequence. He's outside the top 10 of a poor system.

I realize Tony had him outside the top 10, but most other sources rank him in the top 5.

BA - 5th

BP - 4th

Sickels - 4th

Just now, Frobby said:

I realize Tony had him outside the top 10, but most other sources rank him in the top 5.

BA - 5th

BP - 4th

Sickels - 4th

Fair enough. I still don't think he has much value. He's not a top prospect in a system pretty universally accepted as poor.

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Fair enough. I still don't think he has much value. He's not a top prospect in a system pretty universally accepted as poor.

As I said, he'd probably fetch a prospect at some other position.   Probably not a top 5 prospect from most teams, but hopefully a top 10 guy.    Just look for a team with problems at 1B.    If there isn't a match, then keep him.   

I feel for Mancini.

He was the organization minor league player of the year

But signing Davis and now Trumbo is a gigantic vote of no confidence.

I hope he can get the O's to trade him

A year in Norfolk will kill any value he has right now

and having watched him play multiple times I think he has a chance to be a ML hitter.

We'll never find out in Baltimore, where we get to see Davis/Trumbo  K 400 times, and hit less than .250

Yes, I too think this is yet another example of this organization's lack of overall strategy in the minor league system and poor prospect management and development and lack of planning beyond 2018.  I think he is a major league hitter right now and a more than adequate first baseman.  And I think his curve is still upwards.  I hope they do trade him just for his own benefit and when he becomes Jayson Werth like, then I will pull this thread back up.  Not to say I told you so or anything...lol. 

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, I too think this is yet another example of this organization's lack of overall strategy in the minor league system and poor prospect management and development and lack of planning beyond 2018.  I think he is a major league hitter right now and a more than adequate first baseman.  And I think his curve is still upwards.  I hope they do trade him just for his own benefit and when he becomes Jayson Werth like, then I will pull this thread back up.  Not to say I told you so or anything...lol. 

It's Sisco who will be Werth. 

24 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Maybe he isn't a more than adequate first baseman?

I think the market for Mancini's skill set has bottomed out. I wouldn't trade for Mancini when I could give a Mark Reynolds a $2M contract. You could probably sign Rickie Weeks to a NRI and pick up a right handed bat. The market just isn't there. This year.

Archived