Life on the fringe....

big_sparxx

So who are the bottom 10 guys who need to be fighting extra hard come ST? Who are the ones who might surprise? I have to admit, I don't see much of a foundation at AAA or the bottom of our squad, none who are ready to make the next step. Anyone have high hopes for anyone and why?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rickard and Mancini may be on the roster now but both are vulnerable because they have options. DD may also think that Mancini is better served long term continuing to play every day. 

Tavarez would seem to be ideal competition for Rickard and Mancini. Rule 5, so we need to find a spot to keep him, has at least some AAA experience. Unfortunately he hits lefty, and so do Kim and Smith.

Santander is a switch hitter, but has no AA experience  

That leaves Dariel Alvarez with a shot, in my opinion, absent any further acquisitions. 

For the bullpen, looks like the last two spots would come down to a combination of Drake, Tyler Wilson, Logan Verrett, maybe Gunkel or Ondrusek.

17 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Rickard and Mancini may be on the roster now but both are vulnerable because they have options. DD may also think that Mancini is better served long term continuing to play every day. 

Tavarez would seem to be ideal competition for Rickard and Mancini. Rule 5, so we need to find a spot to keep him, has at least some AAA experience. Unfortunately he hits lefty, and so do Kim and Smith.

That leaves Dariel Alvarez with a shot, in my opinion, absent any further acquisitions. 

For the bullpen, looks like the last two spots would come down to a combination of Drake, Tyler Wilson, Logan Verrett, maybe Gunkel or Ondrusek.

There is no reason for Tyler Wilson to start the season in Baltimore. Unless injury.  My opinions are of course my own.

19 minutes ago, weams said:

There is no reason for Tyler Wilson to start the season in Baltimore. Unless injury.  My opinions are of course my own.

I know your take on Tyler Wilson. I am not making a strong case for him by any means. I would expect a Vance Worley type of signing, but I am just looking at who is available now. By my count we have Britton, O'Day, Givens, Brach, and Hart as locks for the bullpen. Tillman, Gausman, Ubaldo, Bundy, and Miley for the starting five. That leaves two spots.

You could also put Wright and Bridwell on the list, and there is always TJ McFarland. I don't know that any of these guys (including Worley) is significantly better than Tyler Wilson.

Drake is out of options so he makes the bullpen.  

I think the last bullpen spot and last bench spot are up for grabs.  Tavarez will be competing with Rickard, but Rickard has the advantage due to being right handed and likely better. Mancini should make the team unless another major league player is signed.  Theoretically we could keep Tavarez over him, but six outfielders seems a bit much.  

For the bullpen spot Wilson, Verrett, and Wright will be the main guys in the mix, again assuming we don't sign someone else.  I actually prefer Wilson to Verrett, especially after looking at their minor league numbers.  I was surprised to see how poorly Verrett has pitched in Triple A recently.  I think Wilson is the perfect swing guy.  You can't forget about TJ MacFarland either, but I've never been a fan.  Buck and or Duquette seem to love the guy, so can't count him out.  

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Drake is out of options so he makes the bullpen.  

I think the last bullpen spot and last bench spot are up for grabs.  Tavarez will be competing with Rickard, but Rickard has the advantage due to being right handed and likely better. Mancini should make the team unless another major league player is signed.  Theoretically we could keep Tavarez over him, but six outfielders seems a bit much.  

For the bullpen spot Wilson, Verrett, and Wright will be the main guys in the mix, again assuming we don't sign someone else.  I actually prefer Wilson to Verrett, especially after looking at their minor league numbers.  I was surprised to see how poorly Verrett has pitched in Triple A recently.  I think Wilson is the perfect swing guy.  You can't forget about TJ MacFarland either, but I've never been a fan.  Buck and or Duquette seem to love the guy, so can't count him out.  

Barring unforeseen additions, it is hard for me to see Rickard not on the 25-man roster.  We have two LH-hitting outfielders that would seem to need platoon partners.  Rickard seems like the best bet for one of those spots right now.  He seems more sure to me than Mancini.  Mancini may well get the last spot as a DH vs. LHP, with Trumbo playing RF in those games, but DD appears to be very much in the hunt for another outfielder.  It is hard for me to see Tavarez making the team as things stand now, since he bats left handed.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:31 PM, Aristotelian said:

AAA all I keep hearing about D Alvarez is he I see being converted to a pitcher.  I don't see him making over the rule 5 guy that doesn't start the year on the DL

8 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Is he referring to last season or now?

He said it now. I assume that he meant after trying to rehab, it turned out to be more difficult than they expected. Said he hoped it would be fine. 

On another note, he's been in boot camp with Brady. 

On 1/25/2017 at 4:31 PM, Aristotelian said:

Tavarez will probably stay and play here if Kim gets hurt or leaves this offseason

• 1 month later...

o

Even though Wilson began the 7th inning by allowing a single, a single, a home run, and a single to the first 4 batters that he faced, Buck left him out there to get a couple of outs before bringing in Garrett Cleavinger to get the final out of the inning.

I like that Buck did that. It's Spring Training, and it's the best time to see how a pitcher reacts while getting throttled by an opponent. 

8 OUTS: o 3 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout, 1 Thrown Out at Home Plate 

PHILITYLER WILSONo)o (vs. BLUE JAYS, 3/08) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 2.67

H:))))l  7 (1 Home Run, 6 Singles) ll

R:ll)lll) 4

BB:olll)0 

SO:l))l 1

Pitches: l) (Unavailable)

2017 ERA: l)  5.87 0(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.051 0(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

o

6 OUTS: o 2 Groundouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Flyout

PHILITYLER WILSONo)o (vs. D-RAYS, 3/14) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 2

H:))))l  4 (2 Doubles, 2 Singles) ll

R:ll)lll) 4

BB:olll)1 

SO:l))l 1

Pitches: l) (Unavailable)

2017 ERA: l) 8.38 0(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.344 0(Spring Training)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .308 0(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

Archived