Why didn't Dan offer Vance Worley more?

wildcard

Vance Worley signed a minor league contract with the Nationals for 1m plus 1.65m in incentives if he makes the major  league team.   Seems like a pretty low bar that Dan could have beat for a swingman that he knows can do the job from being with the O's last year.  Why didn't he? Here is my  answer.

Still on the market are:

Jorge de la Rosa, Doug Fister, Lucas Harrell, Colby Lewis, Jon  Niese, Bud Norris, and Yusmeiro Petit.    Its supply and demand. Find a chair before they are all gone.

The job that Dan is trying to fill is rotation depth.   He has a spot in the pen in long relief that he can offer but the pitcher he acquires has to be willing to take a minor league contract with the promise that he will be moved to the majors on opening day.   Dan wants to move two current 40 man roster guys to the  minors just before opening day which is the best time to get them through waivers.  TJ McFarland and Francisco Pena  are guys he wants in the O's organization.  He doesn't want them claimed like Adam Walker just was.    

And with this many starter/relievers on the market Dan is only willing to offer a 2M/one year contract.    That is a pay cut for most of these guys but then again its late January.   And the clock is ticking.........

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Vance Worley signed a minor league contract with the Nationals for 1m plus 1.65m in incentives if he makes the major  league team.   Seems like a pretty low bar that Dan could have beat for a swingman that he knows can do the job from being with the O's last year.  Why didn't he? Here is my  answer.

Still on the market are:

Jorge de la Rosa, Doug Fister, Lucas Harrell, Colby Lewis, Jon  Niese, Bud Norris, and Yusmeiro Petit.    Its supply and demand. Find a chair before they are all gone.

The job that Dan is trying to fill is rotation depth.   He has a spot in the pen in long relief that he can offer but the pitcher he acquires has to be willing to take a minor league contract with the promise that he will be moved to the majors on opening day.   Dan wants to move two current 40 man roster guys to the  minors just before opening day which is the best time to get them through waivers.  TJ McFarland and Francisco Pena  are guys he wants in the O's organization.  He doesn't want them claimed like Adam Walker just was.    

And with this many starter/relievers on the market Dan is only willing to offer a 2M/one year contract.    That is a pay cut for most of these guys but then again its late January.   And the clock is ticking.........

Jason Hammel is also on the market and has been been rumored that the Orioles have interest.

I think Worley was not signed because He is out of options. He did a nice job last year, but DD is probably thinking

that a combo of Wright, Wilson, & Verette, may be able to fill in the same role as Worley. However, they cheaper

and can be optioned to keep the bullpen fresh after they have a three or four inning stint. I can see them signing

one of the guys you have listed for depth, but they will probably have to take a minor league deal with a ST invite.

I think that the fact that the clock is ticking is a good thing. The longer these guys are on the market, the more

likely they are to sign a team friendly deal.

Interesting. If I could get Fister on a team-friendly one-year deal, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I like our rotation okay. Especially the youngsters. But Ubaldo is a total wildcard, from game to game. And Bundy's got an injury history that's concerning. Miley... again, who knows? But Fister could be a #3 starter in this rotation... and he's got tons of big-game experience, etc.  

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

No team thought Worley was worthy of a ML contract. Worley had a few good games for the Orioles and several were meaningful games. But the market accurately judged his likely future success IMO. 

This. Thanks. 

I think Worley is super effective as a five inning swingman/long reliever.  A little surprising he didn't get a major league contract.  He's got some movement and deception. You see a guy who gets hit around like a piñata like Andrew Cashner get 10 mil on a one year deal and an actual effective pitcher like Worley can't get a major league contract. It's a bit of a head scratcher. 

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think Worley is super effective as a five inning swingman/long reliever.  A little surprising he didn't get a major league contract.  He's got some movement and deception. You see a guy who gets hit around like a piñata like Andrew Cashner get 10 mil on a one year deal and an actual effective pitcher like Worley can't get a major league contract. It's a bit of a head scratcher. 

Understood,but potential often makes more money than production.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I think he has an opt out. He may still stop by. 

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I think Worley overachieved relative to his peripheral stats and stuff. I am OK with DD staying away. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Worley overachieved relative to his peripheral stats and stuff. I am OK with DD staying away. 

I am okay with it too.  Just expressing my surprise at the guy not getting a major league contract .

The market definitely paid off for guys that signed early.  See Cashner, Kendrys Moralas, Josh Reddick, Steve Pearce. The remaining guys on the market are fighting for scraps.  

On 1/29/2017 at 6:26 AM, wildcard said:

Still on the market are:

Why guarantee Worley a million dollars when there are in house cheaper options and still similar free agent options that could be potentially better? Worley was ok, but he's a long reliever/swingman/spot starter who can only got though a lineup once. 

13 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

My guess is that he's gunning for De La Rosa. He's inquired about him before, he can be a swing starter/long reliever, and he's left handed to boot. 

I think so too.  DD always seems to get his guy, even if it's seasons later.  De La Rosa could long relieve, be a LOOGY, be a matchup 2nd LH SP, and he's a GB machine.  From his viewpoint, we're a team with a shaky back end of the rotation and a great IF defense.  Usually our park doesn't make sense for P's to come here that are trying to build their value back up, but our IF defense would help him.  

Archived