The Lineup - Maximizing OBP at Top, then Power

larrytt

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1. Rickard RF - has to proven he can hit righties for this to work

2. Smith/Kim LF - with Tavarez as late inning defensive replacement.  Kim or Tavarez vs lefties.

3. Manny 3B

4. Davis 1B

5. Trumbo DH

6. Jones CF

7. Schoop 2b

8. Castillo/Joseph/ Maybe Sisco in the  2nd half

9. Hardy 

Once again why put the team's best hitter in the fifth most important spot?

And you really want to make Rickard an everyday player and give him the most at bats on the team?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once again why put the team's best hitter in the fifth most important spot?

And you really want to make Rickard an everyday player and give him the most at bats on the team?

Manny should hit third like Frank did.

If Rickard improve his OBP to .350 then he offers speed at the top of the lineup.  The ability to take the extra base.   I think of Kim as a base to base runner.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Manny should hit third like Frank did.

If Rickard improve his OBP to .350 then he offers speed at the top of the lineup.  The ability to take the extra base.   I think of Kim as a base to base runner.

So he should hit third because another player hit 3rd fifty years ago?

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he should hit third because another player hit 3rd fifty years ago?

Yes.  But OK, here you go.

If the #1 and #2 hitters both have .350 OBP then Manny hitting third 3rd has a 70% chance of coming up with  at least one runner on base.    Manny hits a single they might get a run.  Manny hits a double they might get two runs.  Manny hits a homer they probably get between two and three runs.  His chances of driving in runs is much better hitting third then first or second. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the #1 and #2 hitters both have .350 OBP then Manny hitting third 3rd has a 70% chance of coming up with  at least one runner on base.    Manny hits a single they might get a run.  Manny hits a double they might get two runs.  Manny hits a homer they probably get between two and three runs.  His chances of driving in runs is much better hitting third then first or second. 

But he also has a chance to come up with 2 out and 0 on in the first.  That is something that isn't possible if he bats fourth or fifth.

Trust me the math has been done.  As has been mentioned already it's in The Book.

BTW your 70% is flawed.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure that's not right. 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But he also has a chance to come up with 2 out and 0 on in the first.  That is something that isn't possible if he bats fourth or fifth.

Trust me the math has been done.  As has been mentioned already it's in The Book.

BTW your 70% is flawed.

He could hit a solo HR with 2 outs and none on just the same as he could leading off the game with a solo HR. I suspect Manny/Kim bat 1-2. Not sure who's 1 or 2. I don't want Jones batting second. The way he rolls over on sliders, he's a DP waiting to happen.

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

He could hit a solo HR with 2 outs and none on just the same as he could leading off the game with a solo HR. I suspect Manny/Kim bat 1-2. Not sure who's 1 or 2. I don't want Jones batting second. The way he rolls over on sliders, he's a DP waiting to happen.

I don't want Kim hitting second.  The way he hits the ball hard and on the ground, coupled with his less than blazing speed he is a DP waiting to happen.

Archived