O's sign Steve Johnson to minor league deal

SteveA

16 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Glad to hear. Curious why he didn't get invited to camp?

They've got a ton of arms in camp as is, and they obviously have no intention of even flirting with the idea of Steve for the big squad... so what'd be the point? Let him get more action in minor league camp.

This is, for all intents and purposes, just the O's taking care of their own. He's part of the franchise family. Little more.

• 1 month later...

o

This was Johnson's 2017 season debut.

10 OUTS: 4 Strikeouts, 2 Groundout, 2 Flyout, 2 Popout

STEVEN DAVID JOHNSON Olll (vs. AAA-Buffalo, 4/27)

IP:llll 3.67 

H:l)l) 1 ll (1 Double)

R:o)) 1

BB: ll0 ) *

SO: ll4

Pitches:  47 l(32 lStrikes, l15 lBalls)

2017 ERA: 2.70 l(AAA-Norfolk)

2017 WHIP: 0.300 l(AAA-Norfolk)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: .091 l(AAA-Norfolk) ) 1 for 11

*  Johnson hat 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

14 l(8 llStrikes, l6 llBalls)

10 l(7 llStrikes, y3 llBalls)

10 l(8 llStrikes, )2 yBalls)

13 l(9 .lStrikes, ll4 )lBalls) *

* Johnson recorded 1 outs before departing the game in the 4th inning.

o

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We've been missing that guy to fill in the Hunter/Worley role so far.  Drake, Wilson and Chricton haven't been successful. Johnson could be that guy eventually. 

Nuno looks like he can do that job. Asher and Aquino also look good if not in the rotation.

It was fun watching this guy in 2012. He has always had great strikeout potential, despite not throwing super hard if I remember correctly. Deceptive delivery and throws the fastball high in the zone. Ball seems like it rises from his hand. I'm trying to think of an appropriate comparison...maybe Jered Weaver in his prime. He could never throw very fast but he could still blow it by you. I hope Steve does well and the opportunity is there. No other Norfolk starter is performing, albeit Asher and Aquino have already been called up. 

o

6 OUTS: 2 Strikeouts, 2 Groundout, 1 Popout, 1 Flyout

STEVEN DAVID JOHNSON Olll (vs. AAA-Syracuse, 4/30)

IP:llll 2 - PLUS 

H:l)l) 4 ll (1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:o)) 1

BB: ll

SO: ll2

Pitches:  32 l(25 lStrikes, llBalls)

2017 ERA: 3.38 l(AAA-Norfolk)

2017 WHIP: 0.938 l(AAA-Norfolk) )  5.33 IP (5 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: .238 l(AAA-Norfolk) )  5 for 21

PITCHES BY INNING

18 l(14 llStrikes, l4 llBalls)

81 l(61 llStrikes, y2 llBalls)

61 .(51 .lStrikes, l.1 )lBalls*

* Johnson did not record any outs before departing in the 7th inning.

o

On 4/28/2017 at 4:58 AM, wildcard said:

Nuno looks like he can do that job. Asher and Aquino also look good if not in the rotation.

I think we got rid of Drake too soon just like we did Chaz Roe last year. Just because they didn't have options. Now we have a need in middle relief. I guess they were really happy that on Crichton but he didn't look like the guy he was in ST. 

If Johnson is healthy we should call him up and give him a shot at it. Don't worry about the no options. If we have to DFA him after a week or so, what's the big deal?  We're really missing that Tommy Hunter "B" arm type in the pen. 

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we got rid of Drake too soon just like we did Chaz Roe last year. Just because they didn't have options. Now we have a need in middle relief. I guess they were really happy that on Crichton but he didn't look like the guy he was in ST. 

If Johnson is healthy we should call him up and give him a shot at it. Don't worry about the no options. If we have to DFA him after a week or so, what's the big deal?  We're really missing that Tommy Hunter "B" arm type in the pen. 

You can't rotate pitchers that don't have options. Your middle and mop up guys are the ones that Buck likes to rotate.

Archived