O's acquire Alec Asher - RHP

canonfaz

I think Asher has lost whatever grip he had on the 5th starter spot.   He probably continues to start only because there is no one better.     If Wright or Ubaldo pitch  well in relief than Asher could be switched to the pen.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/8/2017 at 10:59 PM, Nevermore said:

Not very good. But I am not ready to take Asher out of the rotation. 

On 6/8/2017 at 11:10 PM, clapdiddy said:

I am with you. I like the movement on his pitches. Sounds like he just didn't have command early in the game.

On 6/9/2017 at 1:07 AM, scOtt said:

If Buck really decides to give him a chance in the rotation, which he appears to be doing, he will give him a FULL chance. It's not like you get 2 starts, and then you're back to AAA-Norfolk. Hell, he kept Mike Wright here today when he could have used a fresh arm, so as to reward Wright for pitching well. I think that doesn't sit well with Buck.

o

Asher is scheduled to start against the White Sox on Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/873605750878240774

o

o

15 OUTS:  )  9 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Popouts1 Strikeout, 1 Foulout

ALEC EDWARD ASHER  )))))) (vs. WHITE SOX, 6/13) )) [  

IP:)llll  5 - PLUS

H:l)llll  6) ll(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:llllllll 6

BB:.ll.2 ) *

SO:lll1

Pitches: 95 )(59 )Strikes, )36 lBalls)

2017 ERA: )  5.05 0

2017 WHIP: )  1.295 )   46.33 IP (60 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .264 )  46 for 174

* ) Asher also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING 

18 ll(13 .lStrikes, ll 51 llBalls) 

91 ll(51 llStrikes, ) 41 llBalls) 

16 ll(10 llStrikes, ll 61 .lBalls) 

21 ll(14 llStrikes, ll 71 )Balls) 

13 ll(91 llStrikes, ll 41 llBalls) 

18 ll(81 llStrikes, l10 lllBalls) ) **  

** ) Asher did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Can we please send him back to wherever he came from.

90 mph FB with no secondary pitches does not a ML pitcher make.

I can't believe this guy is on a ML roster

He's a back of the rotation starter, a #5.  He kept us in the game but he's really a 5 IP guy.  Buck pushed him again.  The injuries to O'Day and Britton don't help the notion to go to the pen.  Of course this game should have been a blowout win for the O's with all the hangers when they had men on base but this is what this team has done.  Not many blow outs and when you have iffy starters and an depleted pen that wares them out and results in losses.

3 minutes ago, O's84 said:

He's a back of the rotation starter, a #5.  He kept us in the game but he's really a 5 IP guy.  Buck pushed him again.  The injuries to O'Day and Britton don't help the notion to go to the pen.  Of course this game should have been a blowout win for the O's with all the hangers when they had men on base but this is what this team has done.  Not many blow outs and when you have iffy starters and an depleted pen that wares them out and results in losses.

Nope, he is a waste of a roster spot. He does not have a single ML quality pitch. He'll be back in the minors soon and probably never see a ML roster again.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Asher's stuff played up in a bullpen role.   I think he looked like a nugget in that role.    Create the bullpen and keep running Miley, Ubaldo, Gausman out there and let them embarrass themselves.   Or not.    And force them to pitch 5 innings no matter how badly they are doing.

I want to believe this but I think Asher was getting a tad lucky out the pen, but I do agree that he should go back there and we should try Ubaldo or Mike Wright.  Wow, that doesn't even sound right.  

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Asher's stuff played up in a bullpen role.   I think he looked like a nugget in that role.    Create the bullpen and keep running Miley, Ubaldo, Gausman out there and let them embarrass themselves.   Or not.    And force them to pitch 5 innings no matter how badly they are doing.

I personally think he's good enough to be a #5 but I'm also fine in putting him in the pen and running out other pitchers, the usual of Miley, Ubaldo, and Gausman.  Or getting a look at some of our few pitching prospects.  It's a lost year probably at this point anyway.

26 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Asher is great middle relief, but it's clear as day that his stuff doesn't play multiple times through the order. Buck didn't manage him well today. I think he was trying to play for the Win Rule again. 

He made it through 5 IP (2ER) and then Buck pushed him to pitch through the 6th.  5 IP is what you expect from your back of the rotation starter. But like I said earlier, I'm fine with putting him in the pen too.

o

Asher entered the game with a runner on 1st base and nobody out in the 5th inning, and the Orioles trailing by a score of 5-2.

5 OUTS:  )  2 Flyouts, 1 Strikeouts1 Groundout, 1 Foulout 

ALEC EDWARD ASHER  )))))) (vs. INDIANS, 6/20) )) [  

IP:)llll  1.67) *

H:l)llll  0) ll

R:llllllll 0

BB:.ll.

SO:llll 1

Pitches: 33 )(17 )Strikes, )16 lBalls)

2017 ERA: )  5.06 0

2017 WHIP: )  1.354 )   48.00 IP (65 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .266 )  49 for 184

* ) Asher entered the game with a runner on 1st base and nobody out in the 5th inning.

PITCHES BY INNING 

13 lll(8 lllStrikes, lll 51 lllBalls) 

20 lll(9 lllStrikes, l11 lllllBalls) ) **  

** ) Asher recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

3 shutout innings out of the bullpen, on only 37 pitches.

He gave up a single to the first batter that he faced, then retired everybody else over 3 consecutive innings.

9 OUTS:  )  3 Strikeouts, 3 Lineouts2 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play)

ALEC EDWARD ASHER  )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/28) )) [  

IP:lllll  3

H:l)llll  1) ll(1 Single)

R:llllllll 0

BB:.ll.

SO:llll 3

Pitches: 37 )(26 )Strikes, )11 lBalls)

2017 ERA: )  4.860

2017 WHIP: )  1.322 )   53.67 IP (71 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .256 )  52 for 203

PITCHES BY INNING 

12 lll(71 lllStrikes, ll llllBalls) 

13 lll(10 lllStrikes, lllllllBalls)

12 lll(91 lllStrikes, lll llllBalls) 

o

Archived