Bye bye Tavarez

Legend_Of_Joey

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Good.  We don't need a Rule V pick with fourth outfielder upside clogging up the roster. 

This should open up a spot on the opening day roster for Mancini I would think.  Mancini or Gentry would then be the roster casualty when we need to go to a fifth starter. 

Once Gentry's on the OD roster, he can't be sent down without being passed through waivers.   So if he's up, they're going to keep him up until he shows he's not worthy.    

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Once Gentry's on the OD roster, he can't be sent down without being passed through waivers.   So if he's up, they're going to keep him up until he shows he's not worthy.    

If he and Mancini both make the roster it will be interesting to see who gets the starts in RF against lefties. Could be Gentry, Mancini, or Trumbo. 

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

If he and Mancini both make the roster it will be interesting to see who gets the starts in RF against lefties. Could be Gentry, Mancini, or Trumbo. 

If Mancini makes the team and starts against lefties in the outfield after a few weeks in the outfield I will be forced to openly mock any poster that talks about how much Buck values defense.

This isn't Manny moving over to third from short sort of thing.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Mancini makes the team and starts against lefties in the outfield after a few weeks in the outfield I will be forced to openly mock any poster that talks about how much Buck values defense.

It would only be if they thought Mancini could do a better job out there than Trumbo.  Otherwise you put Trumbo in RF and DH Mancini.  

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It would only be if they thought Mancini could do a better job out there than Trumbo.  Otherwise you put Trumbo in RF and DH Mancini.  

And if they think a career 1B in the minors is better than Trumbo after a few weeks of spring training...

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if they think a career 1B in the minors is better than Trumbo after a few weeks of spring training...

Well, Trumbo is pretty bad out there.  The worst by some measures.  So there is the slight possibility that Mancini is better than the worst.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

So you carry Mancini purely as a PH?

I would sit Davis against the real tough lefties.  I doubt Buck would though.  

I think Mancini will be in the minors as soon as we need a 5th starter, so he can work on his OF skills.  

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You make it sound as if you haven't already mocked people who said that, regularly.   :D

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

So you carry Mancini purely as a PH?

I would sit Davis against the real tough lefties.  I doubt Buck would though.  

We do have some NL games in less than three weeks where we would need pinch hitters.

Unfortunately they come a few days AFTER we need a 5th starter.

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Well, Trumbo is pretty bad out there.  The worst by some measures.  So there is the slight possibility that Mancini is better than the worst.  

He might be, but a few weeks in spring training isn't going to be sufficient to tell.  Mancini didn't even play outfield in college.  I find it hard to fathom that he could be a natural in the outfield and everyone just kept him at first.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might be, but a few weeks in spring training isn't going to be sufficient to tell.  Mancini didn't even play outfield in college.  I find it hard to fathom that he could be a natural in the outfield and everyone just kept him at first.

Unlikely.  Again, the baseline is Trumbo.  

38 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

There is also the possibility of giving Davis a rest day with Gentry RF, Trumbo DH, Mancini 1B.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There is also the possibility of giving Davis a rest day with Gentry RF, Trumbo DH, Mancini 1B.

Right, and maybe Buck will give Manny and Schoop a day off while he is at it.

I also think Trumbo is probably a better 1B than Mancini.

Archived