Any concern about Hardy?

Going Underground

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It definitely looks as though he's playing through another injury. His numbers aren't back to his 2015 levels -- so far they're worse. He's striking out around 20% (which only happened before in '15), he's hitting way too many weak fly balls, and his OPS is below that of the recently DFA'd Craig Gentry. And below Flaherty's, for that matter. I thought after last year we might be able to squeeze one more decent year out of him, but right now the odds of that happening seem slim. And slim may have already booked the next Greyhound out of town.  

On 5/9/2017 at 11:03 AM, FanSince88 said:

Hardy is a negative WAR player so far this season (-0.5 WAR).  He basically replacement level in 2015.  He was worth 2 WAR last year.  It seems doubtful that he will do better than 1.0 WAR next year, and $14 million is an overpay for 1 WAR.  Better to spend the money on a younger player who may have more upside, even if you have to eat the $2 million buyout.  

He's making Danny Espinosa look good. 

On 5/9/2017 at 11:30 AM, Frobby said:

I don't think it's even a question.   Even if Hardy rebounds the rest of the year, we could get him back for less than $14 mm if we decided we wanted him here in 2018.

The thought of hardy being the SS for the rest of the season is depressing, the thought of him being back in 2018 could cause Firestoneitis. 

31 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

The thought of hardy being the SS for the rest of the season is depressing, the thought of him being back in 2018 could cause Firestoneitis. 

If Buck lets that option vest...well he won't get fired of course but he should. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Should be reason to believe he can be at least 600 OPS. Last year he was at 716 while injured. I'd be curious if he has anything lingering, but there's reason to believe he can certainly pick it up to an acceptable level. 

His career OPS in April is 627. By far the lowest month of his career. Hopefully he can get going here in May. 

This isn't rocket science. Hardy is over the hill. Old age is his anything lingering. It happens to the majority of middle infielders at this point

He was in decline before DD signed him when he only hit 9 HRs in 2014.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that immediately called it a bad extension...seemed pretty obvious to me, just like the O'day (also over the hill) and Trumbum extensions. All bad decisions by DD

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You left off Davis.  That one will really hurt the last few years.

Yep Davis will end up being the worst, but he is at least at present an above replacement level player. Should get a lot more for 21 million but then the O's are the only team that would have given anything close to that salary

Once again, Hardy is allowed to bat when we're down in the ninth inning.  This time, it was with 2 OUTS against a RIGHT HANDED pitcher, for crying out loud.  For God's sake, Buck, what on Earth do you have to lose by pinch hitting Kim for Hardy in that situation?!?  

Just now, FanSince88 said:

Once again, Hardy is allowed to bat when we're down in the ninth inning.  This time, it was with 2 OUTS against a RIGHT HANDED pitcher, for crying out loud.  For God's sake, Buck, what on Earth do you have to lose by pinch hitting Kim for Hardy in that situation?!?  

What did Buck say when the press asked him about it?

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What did Buck say when the press asked him about it?

Since they didn't ask (I don't think...I didn't hear the whole thing), I will get in Buck's head.  Hardy has a knack of making something happen in situations like that. If anyone was going to hit a dead quail to "pass the baton" it was Hardy. Plus, with a short infield, you need your infield leader.

I am fine with that, more or less. Not pinch hitting for Flash or Joseph is mindboggling.

Just now, Chavez Ravine said:

Since they didn't ask (I don't think...I didn't hear the whole thing), I will get in Buck's head.  Hardy has a knack of making something happen in situations like that. If anyone was going to hit a dead quail to "pass the baton" it was Hardy. Plus, with a short infield, you need your infield leader.

I am fine with that, more or less. Not pinch hitting for Flash or Joseph is mindbogglingly.

They didn't ask?

I'm shocked, just shocked.

That is so surprising that the local media wouldn't try and hold Buck accountable for questionable in game decisions.

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

Hardy's glove at SS if we score.

Archived