The Defense Thread, 2017

Frobby

Game 5, April 9

- Miley picked off a runner by an embarrassing margin, but later bounced a throw on the runner's side of the bag on another pickoff attempt and the runner advanced.

- Trumbo failed to get to a high fly from Romine that landed about two feet foul, that should have been caught easily.    Then Romine hit a single a couple of pitches later, putting two runners on base.    Fortunately, no runs resulted.   

- On the run scoring triple in the RCF gap, I thought Trumbo was slow getting to the ball and then slow picking it up.    But maybe I was just projecting my low opinion of his defense onto the play.

I missed some of the 9th inning so I don't know if anything notable happened defensively then.  

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 5, April 9

- Miley picked off a runner by an embarrassing margin, but later bounced a throw on the runner's side of the bag on another pickoff attempt and the runner advanced.

- Trumbo failed to get to a high fly from Romine that landed about two feet foul, that should have been caught easily.    Then Romine hit a single a couple of pitches later, putting two runners on base.    Fortunately, no runs resulted.   

- On the run scoring triple in the RCF gap, I thought Trumbo was slow getting to the ball and then slow picking it up.    But maybe I was just projecting my low opinion of his defense onto the play.

I missed some of the 9th inning so I don't know if anything notable happened defensively then.  

Schoop threw one away trying to nab the runner at third base after cutting off Trumbo's throw on the triple. He has gotten cheap outs on that play before but it didn't work this time. The next batter had a base hit so it wouldn't have mattered but it contributed to an ugly 9th inning.

Game 6, April 11

Defense took us out of this game in the 7th inning.    With one out and a runner on first, O'Day induced a perfect DP grounder to Hardy, who booted it.    The next hitter hit a bloop to short CF that Schoop called for but didn't reach -- I though Jones or Gentry had an easier play on it.    With runners on 2nd and 3rd, Hardy dove and kept a grounder from rolling through the infield, but couldn't make a strong throw home and 2 runs scored on the play.    

With 2 out and 2 on in the 8th, Seth Smith couldn't get to a fly ball down the RF line and it went for a triple.    Gentry probably would have caught it.    Drake then deflected a grounder up the middle that Hardy probably could have fielded and another run scored.    Then a soft grounder where the runner beat the throw.   Then a chopper that bounced off Manny's glove as he dove.    Unbelievable.

The bright spot of the day was that Mancini had a decent game in LF, playing two balls off the wall well and looking very competent corraling two fly outs.    

Castillo also made a strong throw to gun down a runner.    

Game 7, April 12

I didn't see the whole game, so feel free to chime in. 

- Davis dove for a ball in the hole that Schoop could have fielded with ease, and it hit off his glove for a single.

- Castillo had a passed ball and failed to block a pitch from Ubaldo  that was scored a wild pitch, but should have been blocked IMO.

- With the bases loaded and one out in the 5th, O's up by 5, Mancini let a ball drop in front of him that should have been caught. 

- This one's debatable, but there was a bouncer up the middle that Hardy couldn't reach that I think he would have reached a few years ago.

- I didn't see it, but I believe Seth Smith made a nice catch early in the game.   Perhaps someone can confirm this and give details.    (Edit - just saw it.   Smith reached into the stands on the foul side of the Pesky pole, and grabbed the ball for the final out of the second inning with a fan's hand right there. )

- Manny made a nice play on a screaming grounder hit in his direction.   No dive involved, but still quick reaction on a hard hit ball.    

57 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I can give Mancini a break for not catching that ball, but he really should have at least dived. Adam was right behind him backing up but Mancini was clearly thinking about the ball getting past him and he pulled up. 

Broken bat liner. Though read for anyone.

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I can give Mancini a break for not catching that ball, but he really should have at least dived. Adam was right behind him backing up but Mancini was clearly thinking about the ball getting past him and he pulled up. 

You don't dive potentially turning a single into a triple, with the bases loaded and up by 6 runs

He played it correctly, was fooled by the big swing and the ball hit off the end of the bat. I was fooled watching it on TV, though it was a grand slam before seeing that it was a dying quail.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

You don't dive potentially turning a single into a triple, with the bases loaded and up by 6 runs

He played it correctly, was fooled by the big swing and the ball hit off the end of the bat. I was fooled watching it on TV, though it was a grand slam before seeing that it was a dying quail.

You can dive on a soft hit ball to your left with your centerfielder coming in behind you. There is no way that ball becomes a triple. Possibly a double if he boots it. I agree it was a tough read and probably a single, and if he dives and boots it we are probably second guessing him for being overly aggressive, but I think a good LF makes an attempt and could catch it.

Archived