Trade Kim and replace him with Mancini

Diehard_O's_Fan

I like Kim simply because he's a different type of bat than most of the rest of the lineup....he's a guy who looks to get on base and can handle the bat well...much like I like Gentry simply because he's a good defensive outfielder and he has speed on the bases...brings a different dimension and is a great late game pinch runner..not as high on Rickard TBH

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I'm not convinced one way or the other.   I'm leaning towards decent bench player but I always leave room for improvement.   Sometimes players actually improve over their first seasons in MLB.

Me too.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Trumbo hasn't been hitting.  No reason to go out of your way to sit Kim against a RH unless you just don't like his game.  That's my opinion.

I think there's a clear pecking order in which Trumbo ranks well ahead of Kim.   Trumbo started 159 games last year and I'm sure he'll start just about every game until the all-star break even if he's not hitting well.   If it's apparent by the ASB that Trumbo's taken a big step backwards, then his PT could be reduced some in the second half, though I'm not sure it would be (and don't hope to find out!)

As to the rest of the pecking order, I think it's still in flux.    It's pretty clear we won't see Kim vs. LHP anytime soon.     There are a lot of circumstances that have conspired against Kim getting a lot of playing time in the early going and it's pretty clear Buck isn't going out of his way to squeeze him in.

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

I like Kim simply because he's a different type of bat than most of the rest of the lineup....he's a guy who looks to get on base and can handle the bat well...much like I like Gentry simply because he's a good defensive outfielder and he has speed on the bases...brings a different dimension and is a great late game pinch runner..not as high on Rickard TBH

I agree.  We really have all the same type of hitter in the lineup.  That's why we don't make pitchers work hard consistently.  I love Hardy but it would be nice if we could slide Machado to SS next year, extend him, and bring in a 3rd basemen with a more OBP minded approach.  

Back to the OP, if we're talking trading Kim, I'd like to get back a solid reliever for him.  Ideally we'd need a surprise team with a need for an OF bat that has a stable of young power arms.  Like Cinncy.  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree.  We really have all the same type of hitter in the lineup.  That's why we don't make pitchers work hard consistently.  I love Hardy but it would be nice if we could slide Machado to SS next year, extend him, and bring in a 3rd basemen with a more OBP minded approach.  

Back to the OP, if we're talking trading Kim, I'd like to get back a solid reliever for him.  Ideally we'd need a surprise team with a need for an OF bat that has a stable of young power arms.  Like Cinncy.  

Cincy isn't going to trade a young power arm for a pending free agent. They're rebuilding. 

9 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Cincy isn't going to trade a young power arm for a pending free agent. They're rebuilding. 

That team is good.  They might have thought they were rebuilding this year but they could be a contender for a WC spot.  They could have easily have swept us.  

Teams trade young power arms all the time for pending FA's if they think they can make the playoffs.  

Plus isn't it always easier to down talk an idea rather than thinking of a potential trade match? Fantasy trade ideas are good for message boards and good for business.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That team is good.  They might have thought they were rebuilding this year but they could be a contender for a WC spot.  They could have easily have swept us.  

Teams trade young power arms all the time for pending FA's if they think they can make the playoffs.  

Plus isn't it always easier to down talk an idea rather than thinking of a potential trade match? Fantasy trade ideas are good for message boards and good for business.  

I don't think even the Reds have any illusions of being contenders all season. A guy like Kim, as much as I like him, isn't going to move the needle much for them. He'd probably be a better fit on an AL team.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not sure how good they are.   Their lineup looked pretty feeble the last two days.    I guess we'll see.    I did like Garrett and some of the relievers I saw.    

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Bet you Trumbo would have sat last night if Smith was ready. There is a pecking order and Kim is currently behind Smith, Trumbo, and, I believe, Mancini.

At the moment, I'd agree that Kim is behind Smith and Mancini.    He's likely to stay behind Smith, IMO.    Whether he stays behind Mancini depends on how Mancini plays.     He's been hitting pretty well over the last week and hasn't messed up terribly in the field.    But that could change.   

Me, I just want to win games.    If we play .700 ball, Buck can play the bat boy ahead of Kim for all I care.    

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just trying to further my theory that Kim is low man on the totem pole and his roster spot could be in Jeopardy when Bourn, Rickard and/or Santander are ready to go.

Didn't you predict he'll be gone by May 31?     It's possible, I suppose.   They jettisoned De Aza in a similar situation.    At the end of the day, it depends how he hits when given the opportunity.   

Archived