Jones Playing Deeper in 2017

Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Instinctively, that doesn't seem true.   Bolt can run the 100 meter dash in 9.6 seconds; for Hamilton, it's probably in the high 10's.    So how can Bolt run 50% faster than Hamilton at top speed (30 mph vs. 20 mph).     Something must be wrong there.   

Bolt and most sprinters reach top speed at 40 Yards and then begin to slow so his top is 30 mph and average is 23. something.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Put a glove on him, baseball spikes, run on grass, and turn his head while he's running and let's see what the gap is.

Good point.    That probably answers my question about the gap between them.   

I'm old enough to remember when Bob Hayes played wide receiver for the Cowboys.    I'm sure he didn't run a 9.1 100-yard dash in his football gear, but he sure ran faster than anyone else by a pretty clear margin.     

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Bolt and most sprinters reach top speed at 40 Yards and then begin to slow so his top is 30 mph and average is 23. something.

The Statcast measurement is also at top speed, but outfielders aren't usually running 40 yards to catch the ball.     

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Where was Trumbo???

Between 25/26 ft/sec.   That's in the bottom 10 of 79 outfielders with 100 chances in each of 2025/16.     Seth Smith and Hyun Soo Kim are also in the 25-26 range.  

There were a couple of deep fly balls last night that Jones seemed to be camped under instead of having to sprint back.  Also if Jones mis plays a ball and it goes over his head like Hardy's did to Hamilton last night, it was probably going to be an inside the park homer and we lose.  

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

He was faster when he got to Baltimore.   I definitely would say he had CF-worthy speed, possibly  above average.    Like most people, he's not as fast at 31 as he was at 22.

I think he has also shown good speed on the base paths this year. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Good point.    That probably answers my question about the gap between them.   

I'm old enough to remember when Bob Hayes played wide receiver for the Cowboys.    I'm sure he didn't run a 9.1 100-yard dash in his football gear, but he sure ran faster than anyone else by a pretty clear margin.     

I remember Darrel Green was still one of the fastest guys in the NFL. But, he said the difference was, he was good for 1 or 2 40 yard dashes at speed, instead of 10+, when he was 21. :)

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

He was faster when he got to Baltimore.   I definitely would say he had CF-worthy speed, possibly  above average.    Like most people, he's not as fast at 31 as he was at 22.

I know this is a very imperfect way to judge it, but just saying he's never looked fast to me is worth nothing so I have to bring what I have. Even in his youth Adam Jones was never a stolen base threat compared to other center fielders. He has generally been in the bottom 5 every year he has qualified with 2 exceptions. He's never been even close to the average or median number of stolen bases among center fielders in his career.

Obviously, stolen bases don't have everything to do with speed and this is not definitive evidence of his relative speed among major league center fielders, but it is something.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I know this is a very imperfect way to judge it, but just saying he's never looked fast to me is worth nothing so I have to bring what I have. Even in his youth Adam Jones was never a stolen base threat compared to other center fielders. He has generally been in the bottom 5 every year he has qualified with 2 exceptions. He's never been even close to the average or median number of stolen bases among center fielders in his career.

Obviously, stolen bases don't have everything to do with speed and this is not definitive evidence of his relative speed among major league center fielders, but it is something.

I see the logic in what you're saying.    However, I need to point out a mitigating factor.   Early in his career, Adam was terrible at getting a decent lead off 1B.   He couldn't read pickoff moves and would stay very close to the base to compensate.    It was only when Wayne Kirby got here that he finally learned how to get a decent lead.    

Archived