Time to Call Up Reimold

birdman57

I am not trying to offend anyone, it just gets old hearing about the veterans playing over the young guys ( esp Reimold ). However, the facts are that Mcphail is doing the best he can in regards to the vets. He simply cannot get rid of guys we perceive as dead weight. It just does not work that way. There is real money involved here, and we are talking about millions and millions of dollars here.

As for Trax, I think he will DFA him soon. But at the time when he signed him he and DT felt as though some of the young guys who could take his spot simply were not ready. I cannot fault him for thinking that at the time. But that is not the case anymore and I think he will adjust accordingly (as Bigbird said in another thread )

Point is AM and DT were handed a disaster that was gift wrapped in dung, and it will take time. We just have to take the good with the bad, and unfortunately playing some of the veterans while they are still under contract is part of the bad.

Agree/Disagree?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point.:) Seriously though, disagreeing with you doesn't make it moronic drivel. Just the opposite in most cases. It blows my mind that some don't see a rebuilding team as an opportunity to get some young guys playing time that might not be available on a winning team.

It's not the disagreement, it's the absence of logic.

PLease give me a break. I want the young guys to play too, but to expect the team just to cut guys is rediculous IMO. I would love for it to happen, but it is not going to happen....so learn to deal with it.

As for the skewed perspective, look in the mirror.

And that has to do with my perspective how?

And yes, I fully expect this team "just to cut guys". Isn't that what we are supposedly about to do with Trachsel?

I mean, he was only brought in for his "veteran presence" and to hold a spot until a younger guy was ready. Now, he's being cut because of that and because he stinks this year.

Why is Millar any different? Because he can lip-sync THAT good?

I am not trying to offend anyone, it just gets old hearing about the veterans playing over the young guys ( esp Reimold ). However, the facts are that Mcphail is doing the best he can in regards to the vets. He simply cannot get rid of guys we perceive as dead space. It just does not work that way.

As for Trax, I think he will DFA him soon. But at the time when he signed him he and DT felt as though some of the young guys who could take his spot simply were not ready. I cannot fault him for thinking that at the time. But that is not the case anymore and I think he will adjust accordingly (as Bigbird said in another thread )

Point is AM and DT were handed a disaster that was gift wrapped in dung, and it will take time. We just have to take the good with the bad, and unfortunately playing some of the veterans is the bad.

Agree/Disagree?

You make some good points, and yes we do have too many bad vets under contract, McPhail is doing well thus far, except for roster management, that hasn't been great.

It's not the disagreement, it's the absence of logic.

Hey, I gave you a chance. I asked you two direct questions. Yet you have completely ignored them while continuing to disrespect opinions that disagree with yours.

Why should anyone continue to give a damn about what you think, especially when it comes to logic and you having not given any yourself?

And that has to do with my perspective how?

And yes, I fully expect this team "just to cut guys". Isn't that what we are supposedly about to do with Trachsel?

I mean, he was only brought in for his "veteran presence" and to hold a spot until a younger guy was ready. Now, he's being cut because of that and because he stinks this year.

Why is Millar any different? Because he can lip-sync THAT good?

Trax is a whole different case study. He was brought in as minor league free agent and was guarenteed nothing.

If the Orioles release Payton, Millar, and Mora, this could set the franchise back even more in that players and agents may want nothing to do with us in the future because we could be viewed as a team who does not honor committment.

You make some good points, and yes we do have too many bad vets under contract, McPhail is doing well thus far, except for roster management, that hasn't been great.

I agree the bench could be better, but I think next year, and hell, maybe even later this season the roster management will be much better.

As for the vets, looking back on it, what were Duq and Flanny thinking??Lol

It doesn't. It could hurt the team, though, since we aren't getting him major-league experience.

I used this scenario in another thread, but let's say one of these guys is sent to the next level, struggles for a month, then starts hitting again, but not enough for September call-ups.

Would you rather see that happen at the minor-league level, or the same thing happen at the major-league level, where he's already here getting experience and working through problems against these pitchers?

McPhail has said he thinks a player should be moved up when they have the best chance to be successful. Why do you suppose he thinks that? Do you agree with this notion or not? If it doesn't matter when you bring a player up why have MiL levels at all. Just draft 'em and play 'em. If they can't cut it move on to the next guy?

Trax is a whole different case study. He was brought in as minor league free agent and was guarenteed nothing.

If the Orioles release Payton, Millar, and Mora, this could set the franchise back even more in that players and agents may want nothing to do with us in the future because we could be viewed as a team who does not honor committment.

To be fair the players aren't honoring their end either.:D I believe other teams have cut players before.

Or as a team that wants to move forward and sign quality players.

McPhail has said he thinks a player should be moved up when they have the best chance to be successful. Why do you suppose he thinks that? Do you agree with this notion or not? If it doesn't matter when you bring a player up why have MiL levels at all. Just draft 'em and play 'em. If they can't cut it move on to the next guy?

But what is "successful"?

I ask again, was Olson hurt by struggling last year like he did?

To be fair the players aren't honoring their end either.:D I believe other teams have cut players before.

Yes they have, but have they cut 4 or 5 guys in one season?

Just curious, and not thinking about rebuilding or upside here, and not including Reimold, who do we have that would be better options than what we are going with in regards to Payton, Millar, or Mora?

This is purely for discussion purposes and not about future production. Right now, who do we have in our system that will produce more than what these guys are doing right now?

Just curious, and not thinking about rebuilding or upside here, and not including Reimold, who do we have that would be better options than what we are going with in regards to Payton, Millar, or Mora?

This is purely for discussion purposes and not about future production. Right now, who do we have in our system that will produce more than what these guys are doing right now?

Riemold is the only one right now. Millar and Mora stay for now, Payton needs to go.

Reimold and probably Wieters.

First of all, you didn't answer my question about being on board with whatever the Orioles do so you have a lot of nerve. lol

Second of all, I agree that it doesn't hurt him to go to Norfolk and hit with the same discipline.

It was a rhetorical question and you already think you know the answer, but I'll answer it anyway. For the most part I defer to management's judgement because I don't feel I am in possession of all the information that they are privy to, and unlike many here I lack their experience and expertise. I haven't seen Trembley or AM make decisions that did not have good reasoning behind them, so I tend to trust their judgement. But I question a number of their choices. I wonder why they have waited so long to release Trax, why LH is still here, why they are reluctant to start Albers, and why they haven't brought up Salazar, e.g. But since they haven't given any reasons for these choices I will give them the benifit of the doubt until they do.

Archived